Coraline

Coraline

Written by : Neil Gaiman
Release date : October, 2008
Pages : 176

After Coraline and her parents move into an old house, Coraline asks her mother about a mysterious locked door. Her mother unlocks it to reveal that it leads nowhere: "When they turned the house into flats, they simply bricked it up," her mother explains. But something about the door attracts the girl, and when she later unlocks it herself, the bricks have disappeared. Through the door, she travels a dark corridor (which smells "like something very old and very slow") into a world that eerily mimics her own, but with sinister differences. "I'm your other mother," announces a woman who looks like Coraline's mother, except "her eyes were big black buttons." Coraline eventually makes it back to her real home only to find that her parents are missing--they're trapped in the shadowy other world, of course, and it's up to their scrappy daughter to save them.

The book is about a little girl called Coraline, she just have moved into this new building. In her house there is a door, a door that leads to nowhere. Well that’s what her parents think. One day Coraline cannot resist the temptation for opening the door and wants to take a look inside (again). The door leads to this other house, where her look a like parents, but with button for eyes, live. And they want her to stay with them. This book was so much fun to read. I thought it would be scary, but it really wasn’t. Some parts in the book was really scary, but he has written it so good, that it always turns out to be funny. Coraline has to do allot of scary stuff to try and get her parents back. I loved the way you really get into the story and you just cant help yourself feeling sorry for Caroline. You just want to dive into the story and help her out. There is not much depth, but it really isn’t necessary.

For Dutch readers: You should really try and read this book as soon as possible. Even if you have trouble with reading in English, you shouldn’t hesitate to buy or borrow it. It’s very easy to read and you don’t need a dictionary! I promise.

Cover: Isn't it cute! I adore the cover!

How many cupcakes?




Au Revoir, Nina

Petty Witter  – (3 oktober 2009 om 07:09)  

Hi Nina, many thanks for visiting me at Pen And Paper. I've been waiting some time to borrow this book from our local library, it's so popular it's reserved for months - I've now read so many good things about it, I'm going to give in and buy a copy.

Blodeuedd  – (3 oktober 2009 om 07:10)  

¨Gaiman is so fun so I really must read, or watch the movie :)

Lula O  – (3 oktober 2009 om 07:15)  

I really liked this book, especially the spidery hand at the end. That creeped me out! The movie was okay. My daughter thought it was weird. That's what she said, "Mom. That was weird."
Then she had nightmares about a skeleton hand chasing her.

Becky  – (3 oktober 2009 om 08:41)  

Cool review. I haven't read this one. I'm a big wimp but if you say the comedy counteracts the fear factor maybe I should try.

Jenny N.  – (3 oktober 2009 om 10:03)  

Nice review, I saw the movie when it first came out and I've been meaning to read the book but just havent gotten around to it.

Nina  – (3 oktober 2009 om 10:27)  

Becky
It really isn't scary! It is a easy and fun read. :)

Jenny
I haven't seen the movie, but I really want to buy it when it comes out! The trailer looked so good and beautiful.

hmsgofita  – (3 oktober 2009 om 11:16)  

I absolutely loved this movie and really want to read the book too!

Hagelrat  – (3 oktober 2009 om 11:19)  

I loved the book, I enjoyed the movie but I still love the book much more.

Misty  – (3 oktober 2009 om 12:23)  

I loved this. It was a slow start for me, but it became so creepy and humorous at the same the time. I love the quirkiness of it. And Mr. Bobo's Remarkable Mouse Circus, of course (which is the name of Gaiman's children's website). I didn't love the movie, but it was okay, and the animation was beautiful.

Aarti  – (3 oktober 2009 om 17:15)  

I have liked every Gaiman book I've ever read, but I haven't read this one. I want to see the movie, too, but I bet the book is better. Stardust as a book was way better than the movie.

Barrie  – (5 oktober 2009 om 10:29)  

I just bought the DVD, but haven't watched it yet. It came with 3D glasses! I did really enjoy the book.

wdebo  – (14 november 2009 om 10:10)  

I remember reading this book in 5th grade...it scared the crap out of me!! But I loved it a lot...Have you watched the movie? I loved it!

Een reactie posten

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP