Northanger Abbey

Northanger Abbey
Written by : Jane Austen
Release date : 2006 (1818)
Pages : 301

The story’s unlikely heroine is Catherine Morland, a remarkably innocent seventeen-year-old woman from a country parsonage. While spending a few weeks in Bath with a family friend, Catherine meets and falls in love with Henry Tilney, who invites her to visit his family estate, Northanger Abbey. Once there, Catherine, a great reader of Gothic thrillers, lets the shadowy atmosphere of the old mansion fill her mind with terrible suspicions. What is the mystery surrounding the death of Henry’s mother? Is the family concealing a terrible secret within the elegant rooms of the Abbey? Can she trust Henry, or is he part of an evil conspiracy? Catherine finds dreadful portents in the most prosaic events, until Henry persuades her to see the peril in confusing life with art.

What can you say about this story? Well first it’s one of my favourite books that Jane Austen wrote. The story is so well written and when I read it, I could imagine myself in Bath. Catherine, the main character, is such a lovely girl who loves reading and has a wild imagination. This wild imagination is going to go too far when she’s going to stay with her friends, the Tilneys. Oh how I got irritated by Isabella. She only talks about herself and how she cannot go anywhere without Catherine by her side. I wanted to go into the story and just shake her! I enjoyed reading about the Tilneys and was so happy when they invited Catherine to stay with them. There was great suspense when Catherine found something in the Abbey and didn’t know what it was. I loved the way the story ends. I do have to say that the romance in the story keeps you waiting till the very end.

For Dutch Readers: If you never tried a book of Jane Austen and this does sound interesting you should try and read it in English. If you have trouble reading in English, try it in Dutch first. After you can always try and read the original. I truly recommend this book, cause it really is so beautiful.

Cover:
Beautiful!

How many cupcakes?

Misty  – (5 oktober 2009 om 08:28)  

I love this book and I think people underrate it. It's hilarious and very tongue-in-cheek. When I saw you linked it for Helluva Halloween, at first, I was thinking, what? Jane Austen? But gothic, I get it. Funny.

Barrie  – (5 oktober 2009 om 10:30)  

It's hard to go wrong with Jane Austen! Thanks for the visit. :)

Lula O  – (5 oktober 2009 om 10:40)  

I like this one too. There's a good version of it on Masterpiece Theatre too. I loved the main character and how she'd get carried away with her fantasies. A fun read.

natalierenae  – (5 oktober 2009 om 11:07)  

It's always nice to find another Jane Austen fan! Surprisingly enough, I haven't gotten around to Northangar Abbey, though I've been told by several people that it would be my favorite of her novels. It's definitely moving up on my TBR list! Thanks for the review!

Natalie @ Mindful Musings

Rachel  – (5 oktober 2009 om 11:22)  

I haven't read this but know the story pretty well-sounds like I should get a move on actually reading the book! Great review, Nina!

Marie Burton  – (5 oktober 2009 om 12:11)  

Wonderful review, I am so glad to see another one of Austen's to add to my TBR Pile. Sounds like a lot of fun and I look forward to it!

Jessica (BookLover)  – (5 oktober 2009 om 13:10)  

Great review! I think need to read this one. :)

Caitlin  – (6 oktober 2009 om 09:10)  

I confess, the only Jane Austen book I've read is Pride and Prejudice. Shame on me! I'll read Northangar Abbey and maybe that will get me in an Austen mood.

Amy  – (20 oktober 2009 om 14:40)  

I LOVED this book! It's one of my favorite Austen novels as well. I'm glad you enjoy it so much!

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP