Hannu, Hannu

Hannu, Hannu
Written by: Geir Gulliksen
Release date: October, 2007
Pages: 88

It’s about two brothers and one summer that changed their lives forever. Every day the oldest brother goes into the forest and his little brother doesn’t understand why. He’s to afraid to go with him and one day the oldest brother doesn’t come home. That day changed everything.

The book is very sad, but so beautiful. The little boy is the narrator and is caught between his brother and his parents. The situation at home is very bad, their parents are not talking to each other and there is a bad tension hanging around. His older brother is his rock, who is always there for him. He helps him brush his teeth, help him cut his meat and changes his clothes. When he is feeling lonely, Hannu always is there to cheer him up. The little brother learns how to read and escapes reality with reading lots and lots of books. Hannu escapes reality to go outside! I reread this story last week in the train and I really tried to prevent the tears coming out. Your heart just feels with the both of the boys and how I wished I could just hold them and say that everything is going to be okay. I love that the big dark forest and the dark cage in the story are metaphors for the fear of the unknown. Geir writes so good and even though it is for children, adults can read this one too.

I wished that this book was translated in English, cause I highly recommend it to everyone! The story is a easy and a delightful read.

Cover:
It’s so shiny and it just fits the story so well. It’s perfect!

How many Cupcakes?

Mary  – (2 november 2009 om 07:50)  

It sounds like a heartbreaking yet good book. Nice review.

Blodeuedd  – (2 november 2009 om 08:06)  

Sounds like a good book. Perhaps it will be translated some day

Blodeuedd  – (2 november 2009 om 08:07)  
Deze reactie is verwijderd door de auteur.
Becky  – (2 november 2009 om 09:10)  

It sounds beautiful. I can understand why you love it. Thanks for sharing. Hope the exams went well.

Amy  – (2 november 2009 om 12:19)  

wow-I'm def checking this out! I get what you mean by sad but beautiful. A lot of my fave books are heartbreaking, yet satisfying when you finish. Great review :-D
-amy

hmsgofita  – (2 november 2009 om 15:31)  

I wish I knew Dutch now...looks like a great read. I have an award for you: http://gofita.blogspot.com/2009/11/one-lovely-blog-award.html

....Petty Witter  – (3 november 2009 om 06:00)  

Sounds like a terrific read and your right about the cover, it seems to say it all about the book somehow or other.

PolishOutlander  – (3 november 2009 om 15:34)  

I hope it gets translated at some point. Sounds beautiful.

Nina  – (5 november 2009 om 08:43)  

Gofita :Thank you for the award!

Becky: Thank you so much for asking how the exams went. They went great, but I still have one more to make. :)

StephTheBookworm  – (7 november 2009 om 17:14)  

Nice review! It sounds like a great book. Thanks very much for the kind comment on my blog. I think you will really enjoy "Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side." Happy reading!

wdebo  – (14 november 2009 om 10:06)  

Sounds wonderful! (I wish it was translated into English!! But it might make it lose some of its magic tho...Now I wish I knew Dutch!)

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP