In My Mailbox (13)

Every sunday or saturday (depends on how I feel) I will show you the books that I bought, recieved or borrowed! This meme/idea is hosted by TheStorySiren.


The books that I BOUGHT are:
-The Eternal Kiss 13 Vampires Tales of Blood and Desire by 13 different writers
-Soulless by Gail Carriger

The book that I WON is:
-The Hollow by Jessica Vera @Wondrous Reads
Thank you so much Jenny for giving me the chance to win this fantastic book!

The book that I BORROWED is:
-To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf

Description Soulless:
Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette. Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire -- and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate. With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?

Description The Hollow:
When Abbey's best friend, Kristen, vanishes at the bridge near Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, everyone else is all too quick to accept that Kristen is dead?and rumors fly that her death was no accident. Abbey goes through the motions of mourning her best friend, but privately, she refuses to believe that Kristen is really gone. Then she meets Caspian, the gorgeous and mysterious boy who shows up out of nowhere at Kristen's funeral, and keeps reappearing in Abbey's life. Caspian clearly has secrets of his own, but he's the only person who makes Abbey feel normal again...but also special.
Just when Abbey starts to feel that she might survive all this, she learns a secret that makes her question everything she thought she knew about her best friend. How could Kristen have kept silent about so much? And could this secret have led to her death? As Abbey struggles to understand Kristen's betrayal, she uncovers a frightening truth that nearly unravels her—one that will challenge her emerging love for Caspian, as well as her own sanity.

Description To The Lighthouse:
Novel by Virginia Woolf, published in 1927. The work is one of her most successful and accessible experiments in the stream-of-consciousness style. The three sections of the book take place between 1910 and 1920 and revolve around various members of the Ramsay family during visits to their summer residence on the Isle of Skye in Scotland. A central motif of the novel is the conflict between the feminine and masculine principles at work in the universe. With her emotional, poetical frame of mind, Mrs. Ramsay represents the female principle, while Mr. Ramsay, a self-centered philosopher, expresses the male principle in his rational point of view. Both are flawed by their limited perspectives. A painter and friend of the family, Lily Briscoe, is Woolf's vision of the androgynous artist who personifies the ideal blending of male and female qualities. Her successful completion of a painting that she has been working on since the beginning of the novel is symbolic of this unification.

Sarah  – (16 januari 2010 om 11:41)  

Great selection of books, I've heard good things about Soulless so it will be interesting to see what you think of it :o)

Alaine - Queen of Happy Endings  – (16 januari 2010 om 15:08)  

Look forward to reading about what you think of Soulless, I have it on my wish list but haven't bought it yet because I haven't read many reviews about it. Great collection of books!

Ceri  – (16 januari 2010 om 15:37)  

Ooh, I reviewed The Eternal Kiss and the Hollow for a website I volunteer for. Loved The Eternal Kiss - really introduced me to some great writers, and I enjoyed The Hollow.

I love Virginia Woolf. Happy reading. :D

Lea  – (16 januari 2010 om 16:29)  

Awesome books! Soulless looks so good, I've heard it's amazing. Have fun reading :D

Brianne  – (16 januari 2010 om 22:16)  

Soulless does look awesome. Happy reading!

Rebecca  – (17 januari 2010 om 00:04)  

Awesome books. I really want to read The Hollow. The Eternal Kiss is really good too. Hope you enjoy reading all your books.

Book Monster  – (17 januari 2010 om 00:24)  

You got some awesome books :) You also won some awards on my site :)

Becky  – (17 januari 2010 om 02:46)  

I don't really read short stories but I'm still very interested in hearing your thoughts on The Eternal Kiss.

La Coccinelle  – (17 januari 2010 om 12:43)  

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on The Hollow (it's the only one of these that I've read). Happy reading!

I've got something for you here:
http://theladybugreads.blogspot.com/2010/01/recent-awards.html

Lauren  – (17 januari 2010 om 14:09)  

Great books! I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of The Hollow. Happy reading! :)

pirate penguin  – (17 januari 2010 om 22:08)  

I know Soulless is at my library so once I get through my ginormous TBR pile, I'm getting it! I've seen some good reviews for it so... :)

The Eternal Kiss! We should read it at the same time, lol! x)

PolishOutlander  – (19 januari 2010 om 07:14)  

Soulless definitely sounds like such a fun read. I got it a few months ago and started it but then had to put it down. Was having such a fun time while reading it. I just have to finish it now! Happy reading!

vvb32 reads  – (20 januari 2010 om 09:11)  

yay for Soulless - victorian, vampires, werewolves, steampunk - great mix!

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP