Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

Title: Rode Rozen en Tortilla’s
Original title: Like Water for Chocolate
Written by: Laura Esquivel
Release date: October, 1995
Pages: 256
Source: Library

My feelings:


Description:
Earthy, magical, and utterly charming, this tale of family life in turn-of-the-century Mexico became a best-selling phenomenon with its winning blend of poignant romance and bittersweet wit.

The number one bestseller in Mexico and America for almost two years, and subsequently a bestseller around the world, "Like Water For Chocolate" is a romantic, poignant tale, touched with moments of magic, graphic earthiness, bittersweet wit - and recipes. A sumptuous feast of a novel, it relates the bizarre history of the all-female De La Garza family. Tita, the youngest daughter of the house, has been forbidden to marry, condemned by Mexican tradition to look after her mother until she dies. But Tita falls in love with Pedro, and he is seduced by the magical food she cooks. In desperation, Pedro marries her sister Rosaura so that he can stay close to her. For the next twenty-two years, Tita and Pedro are forced to circle each other in unconsummated passion. Only a freakish chain of tragedies, bad luck and fate finally reunite them against all the odds.

My Review:
Have you ever got your hands on a book that you just couldn’t put down. You just had to read it trough the late hours, just to find out what happens next. This book did that to me. I can truly say that it’s one of my favourite books about love. I was so sad when I reached the last page and just wanted to reread it again.

Tita is the youngest daughter in the family. Tradition goes that the youngest has to carry for the mother. This means that the youngest daughter can’t married and has to put mother first. Tita falls in love with a lovely boy called Pedro, but unfortunately when he asks for her hand in marriage, Tita’s mother doesn’t accept. To be close to his true love he is going to marry her middle sister.

The characters where amazing in the book. How can you just not love Tita and hate her mother for being so bossy. Pedro was so sweet, but also so messed up. Every time Tita and Pedro had a opportunity to be alone together I wished that they could stay that way forever, loving each other.

Tita is a great chef and makes her food with feelings, when she is sad and a tear escape from her eyes and goes into the food, the people around her who eat from it feel the emotion that Tita felt making the food. Some hilarious stuff happened when she made the food when she was feeling in love and depressing.
The story is so unique, each chapter begins with a recipe, that I just want to try out, they sound so delicious.

I am looking for a copy of this book, because I really want to have this and share it with my sister. I recommend this book to everybody who loves a great romance.

Here's the Dutch Cover of Water for Chocolate.

Charlotte (The Book on the Hill)  – (22 januari 2010 om 05:53)  

Ooh, sounds good ! I had never heard of it. I love the idea of magical food. The Dutch cover is great too. Thanks for the enthusiastic review. Oh, and did I mention that I LOVE your header ? I love owls. :)

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (22 januari 2010 om 07:03)  

It's been many years since I read this book but I simply LOVED it. I adored her sister Getrudis and later named one of my vehicles Getrudis. If you ever have the opportunity to see the movie please do. The acting is phenomenal.

BTW FANTASTIC review :)

PS I am LOVING the new header! Bravo Miss Nina!

PolishOutlander  – (22 januari 2010 om 07:07)  

So glad to hear you liked it! Oh and I am loving the owls on top of your page :)

claire  – (22 januari 2010 om 07:49)  

I loved Like Water for Chocolate and have read it several times since I was a teen. But sadly, I didn't like any of her other books. The Dutch cover has the exact same cover as her other book, Swift as Desire, in English.

Rachel  – (22 januari 2010 om 11:41)  

Sounds like a really bittersweet book-good review! I'll have to check it out.

Luisa at Chicklish  – (22 januari 2010 om 11:57)  

Oh, great review! I love this book too!

Becky  – (23 januari 2010 om 02:06)  

I just love the sound of this book. I think I'm going to find myself turning to magical realism more and more. Great review Nina. The Dutch cover made me laugh. It is so adorable.

hmsgofita  – (23 januari 2010 om 14:32)  

So glad it's a good one, I just picked this one up at my local second hand bookstore! I do love a great romance!

PolishOutlander  – (23 januari 2010 om 14:52)  

So glad to hear Vampire Diaries is starting in Holland. It's addictive! Enjoy!

Melissa  – (23 januari 2010 om 14:53)  

I wasn't thrilled with the movie, so it put me off the book. I guess I'll have to pick up the book now! Thanks!

Lea  – (23 januari 2010 om 15:25)  

I really love the sound of this one, thanks for bringing something new to my attention. :D

chelleyreads  – (23 januari 2010 om 17:03)  

back in high school i've always intended to read this book and watch the movie but never did. i might have to pick it up one of these days! thanks :)

austenfan  – (23 januari 2010 om 18:16)  

I enjoyed reading this book, though I was kinda mad at Pedro for marrying Tita's sister. I mean, they could have just run away together! :p

mummazappa  – (23 januari 2010 om 20:52)  

i've always wondered if i should read this book, and now thanks to your review i will put it on my list!

Aye.Me?  – (24 januari 2010 om 02:47)  

Sounds great!

I love the concept of the people eating the food and feeling the emotions that the girl who cooked it was feeling!

I enjoyed reading your review! :)

Sasha  – (24 januari 2010 om 04:43)  

Congratulations! You won an award at http://the-sweet-bonjour.blogspot.com/2010/01/awards-catch-up.html

Lauren  – (24 januari 2010 om 07:29)  

I've never heard of this one before, but it sounds fantastic. I'll have to check it out some time. Great Review! :)

vvb32 reads  – (25 januari 2010 om 08:55)  

i liked the movie version of this book too. it's just as surreal.

Nina  – (26 januari 2010 om 08:21)  

vvb32: I havent watch the movie, I couldn't find it here in the dvdshop. Hopefully I will someday.

vvb32 reads  – (30 januari 2010 om 15:31)  

nina, how about your library? maybe you could request they get it, pronto!

Nina  – (31 januari 2010 om 05:31)  

vvb3: Thanks for the idea. I never thought of that. I will send them an e-mail about it.

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP