Once Dead, Twice Shy by Kim Harrison

Title: Once Dead, Twice Shy (Book 1, Madison Avery)
Written by: Kim Harrison
Release date: May, 2009
Pages: 240
Source: Received

My feelings:


Description:
With her purple-tipped hair and Goth style, Madison didn't fit in when she was alive, and she has real problems now that she is dead. She went to the prom with popular and handsome Josh, but when she found out that her dad had arranged the fix-up, she ran off with the dangerously charming Kairos. This was a bad idea. Kairos is a dark timekeeper who needed to strike down Madison because his own time was about to run out and when he tried, she stole his amulet. This event sets off a unique adventure in which Madison is stuck somewhere between life and death. Caught up in a world of dark and light reapers, seraphs, and guardian angels, she has to fight to get the correct amulet and to reunite her body and soul so that she can live out a life cut short.

My Review:
Reading a couple of reviews about this book, I really didn’t know if I was going to enjoy this one. Almost every review begun with if you haven’t read “Prom Nights from Hell” you are seriously missing some details. They where right, but that didn’t mean I didn’t like it. I seriously LOVED it.

Madison is death. Yep, we get that. Not going to give much details but she was murdered by a dark timekeeper. But instead going to live her life in the afterlife she stole his amulet. With this amulet she has a body, her own body, well not technically, but everybody sees her as she was before. Got it? But what happens if you steal something that doesn’t belong to you, well the owner wants it back. And all Madison wants is to get her own body back, but therefore she needs some help. I loved the characters in the book, even the bad guys where fun. The book got everything it needs, suspense, love, fightingscenes and many more.

Sometimes I had to read the sentences out loud, so that I could understand them better. Why? Well some of the terms Kim uses where a little hard to understand. Like dark reaper, light reaper, dark timekeeper and many more.

You don’t need to read Prom Nights form Hell first to read this book. You only will miss the details about how she died and how she stole the amulet, because that’s written in there. It is written in this book, but very short. Maybe in the next book the author will put a short summary of that or otherwise I probably will buy that one too.

Oh, the ending is good and funny! It seriously will make you laugh out loud. I did.

Book Crazy Jenn  – (7 januari 2010 om 10:38)  

I have this one, but not picked it up yet, for fear that since I have not read the short story I would be missing something, but now maybe I dont need to read it hmmm...

Awesome review thank you!

Lea  – (7 januari 2010 om 10:44)  

This sounds pretty awesome! Thanks for the review, Nina. I've always been curious about this one, but now that I know it's great (and I don't need to read another book to understand), I'll have to pick it up.

:)

StephTheBookworm  – (7 januari 2010 om 11:05)  

This sounds wonderful! I'll be adding this to my TBR list for sure!

Becky  – (7 januari 2010 om 12:04)  

Hmmm...I have no idea why but I thought Prom Night from Hell was a set of short stories. Weird! This sounds like great fun. Cool review Nina!

Faye  – (7 januari 2010 om 14:10)  

I can't can't 2 read the 2nd book in the series!

Kelsey  – (7 januari 2010 om 15:12)  

I really enjoyed this book, too. Early to Death, Early to Rise sounds so good, too, I can't wait to read it :)

Justine  – (7 januari 2010 om 16:07)  

Ooh, this seems intriguing. I think I'm going to pick this one up. I love the cover too! :D

Lily Child  – (7 januari 2010 om 23:45)  

I absolutely ADORED this book and I am glad you did too! I can't wait for the next book in the series to come out! :)

Blodeuedd  – (8 januari 2010 om 00:33)  

This one sounds great, yes I would give it a go

Jill of The O.W.L.  – (8 januari 2010 om 20:36)  

I've seen this cover several times. Thanks for the review. It does sound really good!

Lauren  – (9 januari 2010 om 10:38)  

I actually tried to read this book before, but I couldn't for the life of me get into it. Though, now with reading your review, I think I may give it another try.

vvb32 reads  – (10 januari 2010 om 10:17)  

glad to hear you liked this one and that there were laugh out loud moments. i love books that make you smile or laugh. reapers are an interesting bunch.

suzyQ  – (10 januari 2010 om 17:01)  

I love the excitement and the fun of your blog! Your reviews are so great and you always leave me wanting to head to the library.

Over on my blog, I have nominated you for an award. You probably have received something like this before, and you might not want to follow through with all the tasks( so don't feel obligated), but I just wanted you to know that you are always inspiring me!

Suzanna

Cleverly Inked  – (10 januari 2010 om 18:34)  

I am going to have to start from the first. Even though you say we can start.I hate knowing I missed a piece. I think this is a winner. THANKS

B.A.M. Book Reviews  – (11 januari 2010 om 09:30)  

This review definitely makes me want to buy this book! It sounds so suspensful. I'm glad you liked it and great review!

-Briana

Sarah  – (11 januari 2010 om 12:43)  

I love Kim Harrison's Hollows series but haven't read this one yet - looks like I'm going to have to add it to my wish list :o)

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP