Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson

Title: Kamer 13
Original Title: Suite Scarlett
Written by: Maureen Johnson
Release date: May, 2009
Pages: 368
Source: Library
Part of:2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge

My feelings:


Description:
Scarlett is the third of four children in the Martin family. The Martins live in and manage a shabby hotel in NYC that dates back to the 1920s. When Scarlett turns 15, she is put in charge of one of the hotel's 27 rooms- the Empire Suite. Into this room moves Mrs. Amberson, a failed 1970s starlet who has returned to New York to write her memoirs. Soon, Scarlett is taking dictation, running around town with Mrs. Amberson, and getting caught up in her Auntie Mame-meets-Bianca Jagger adventures.

In the midst of all this, Scarlett falls in love - or so she thinks - and it takes Mrs. Amberson to help her see the light.

My Review:
When I saw Suite Scarlett at the library I just had to pick it up! I heard so many positive things that I really wanted to read it. Also I never read any books written by Maureen Johnson before, I already can hear you say, do you live under a rock? Well apparently.

The minute I started to read the book I was hooked. The beginning starts with the “birthday party” for Scarlett. The family tradition is that when you turn fifteen you get the key to a room, in this case the Empire Suite. Scarlett is now in charge of that suite and has to do everything to please the quests who stays in there. In this case Mrs. Amberson. And of course Mrs. Amberson is not just your typical quest, she’s very demand full. She’s calling Scarlett on the weirdest times and comes up with all these silly tasks and requests. Now she’s butting in Scarlett’s life and what is she supposed to do, she has to please the quest.

The characters in the book are really great. My favourite character was Spencer. He is the brother of Scarlett and in my mind totally cute. He’s like the best brother a girl can wish for. The dialogue between him and Scarlett was charming, fun and corky! It will make you laugh!

I can’t wait to read the sequel to this story, cause I really want to know more about the characters and hotel Hopewell.

Milka  – (24 januari 2010 om 13:49)  

This one sounds good, I have it as a e-book but since I don't have a ebook reader I haven't got to it, reading from the computer screen is pretty annoying.

robby (once upon a book blog/fourteen years)  – (24 januari 2010 om 14:27)  

I won this book in a contest last summer and I really can't wait to read it. It sounds great. :]

Tricia  – (24 januari 2010 om 14:57)  

I thought this book was so cute. We only have to wait another week I think for the next one!

inthehammockblog  – (24 januari 2010 om 16:44)  

Great review! I loved this book!! Spencer was so cute, I hope he's in the sequel a lot!!

Cate  – (24 januari 2010 om 17:34)  

I'm actually reading this one right now; I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm with you on the fun characters...so far it's a really great book! :D

Mishel  – (24 januari 2010 om 17:36)  

I haven't read anything by Maureen either. I have this book waiting to be read and I'm really looking forward to getting to it =)

Lea  – (24 januari 2010 om 19:27)  

Great review Nina! I really loved this book too! It's a fun Maureen novel, like always :)

Blodeuedd  – (24 januari 2010 om 23:27)  

Nice review. it does sound good and well it seems I have stayed under that same rock

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (25 januari 2010 om 06:32)  

I can't wait to read this one. I have it in my Kindle. Sounds like I better get to it!

Becky  – (25 januari 2010 om 07:26)  

I am feeling so guilty that I still haven't read anything by this author. I really need to try at least one. This sounds both fun and bizarre!

Nina  – (25 januari 2010 om 08:07)  

Mika: I hate that too, I always wind up printing the pages!

Melissa  – (25 januari 2010 om 13:35)  

I have it free for my kindle on my iPod Touch. I haven't read it yet, but glad to see a review of this book in the positive! Thanks!

Luisa at Chicklish  – (25 januari 2010 om 16:44)  

I really enjoyed this too. Great review!

Mel (He Followed Me Home)  – (26 januari 2010 om 16:46)  

I haven't read her either but was just looking at this today so thanks for the review :)

Lauren  – (26 januari 2010 om 18:26)  

Great review! I have this in my TBR pile waiting to be read, and, I think, I now must read it sometime soon. :) Also, if you haven't already you should read Girl At Sea also my Maureen; it's really fantastic and my absolute favorite novel by her.

Lauren  – (27 januari 2010 om 14:30)  

Fantastic review! I've only read one book by this author, but I really need to read some more and this sounds great.

Miss Reith Jerevinan  – (30 januari 2010 om 22:31)  

Nice pick.... it interests me a lot.
Thanks for ur point of view. I think im going to read this one

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP