The Devouring by Simon Holt

Title: The Devouring

Written by: Simon Holt
Release date: June, 2009
Pages: 231
Source: Received
Part of: 2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge

My feelings:


Description:
"When dark creeps in and eats the light,
Bury your fears on Sorry Night.
For in the winter's blackest hours,
Comes the feasting of the Vours,
No one can see it, the life they stole,
our body's here but not your soul..."

THE VOURS: Evil, demonic beings that inhabit human bodies on Sorry Night, the darkest hours of the winter solstice.

When Reggie reads about the Vours in a mysterious old journal, she assumes they are just the musings of an anonymous lunatic. But when her little brother, Henry, begins to act strangely, it's clear that these creatures exist beyond a madwoman's imagination, and Reggie finds out what happens when fears come to life.
To save the people she loves, Reggie must learn to survive in a world of nightmares. Can she devour her own fears before they devour her?
The Devouring is an engrossing tale of terror that will have you wondering: what if your worst fears became your living nightmare?

My review:
Read the description? Scared yet? I can tell you this, if you start reading this when it’s dark outside you will probably don’t get much sleep. I didn’t. I had to read the whole story when I started it. And yes I will admit that when I finished the story I slept with the lights on.

Regina works at a bookstore and comes across a old journal telling about the Vours. When she comes home she starts reading the story to her little brother. She thinks he’s old enough to handle the scary story. The next day her little brother acts strange, like he’s not her little brother anymore but somebody else. Regina and her friend Aaron try to figure out what’s wrong.

When they discover that the stories in the journal aren’t a made up story but the real thing, Regina is willing to sacrifice her own live for the life of her little brother. I really liked the character of Regina, for me she was the perfect older sister who had taken care of her little brother when her mother went away and her father was kind of lost.
The story was fast paced and was full with suspense. I didn’t know what was going to happen the whole time and this made it scary for me. I liked the plot, it was totally unique and nothing like I ever read before.

The sequel is out now and I am totally looking forward to be scared again. But I will take a few weeks off to catch my breath again!

Nina  – (8 februari 2010 om 08:27)  

Juju: You are very welcome!

Andrea  – (8 februari 2010 om 08:45)  

Oooh, scary. I don't know if I'll be able to read that, but great review.

Natalie (Mindful Musings)  – (8 februari 2010 om 11:34)  

I loved this book. It was creepy, but in an awesome way. I haven't gotten around to reading the sequel yet, but I definitely plan to. Glad you enjoyed it too! :)

Sarah  – (8 februari 2010 om 14:07)  

I hadn't heard of this one before but it sounds great! I'll have to check it out :o) Thanks for the recommendation!

Kelsey  – (8 februari 2010 om 14:25)  

Nice review! I'm really scared to read this! :/ lol!

Jill of The O.W.L.  – (8 februari 2010 om 15:46)  

I really liked this book too! Creepy especially in the basement! I can't wait to read the next book as well.

Mel (He Followed Me Home)  – (8 februari 2010 om 17:04)  

This book always catches my eye, glad you loved it! Thanks for the scary warning ;)

Book Monster  – (8 februari 2010 om 21:39)  

Ooh you just made me want to read this one for sure!!

Ceri  – (9 februari 2010 om 02:47)  

Wow! I am loving the sound of this. You've definitely made me put this on my wishlist. :D

Charlotte (The Book on the Hill)  – (9 februari 2010 om 11:55)  

Love your review. Creepy is awesome from time to time. :)

inthehammockblog  – (9 februari 2010 om 12:25)  

This sounds creepy!!! Great review!!

Lea  – (9 februari 2010 om 15:29)  

Great review! I remember when I read this I was totally freaked out (which is why I shouldn't have read it at night!)

;)

Lauren  – (9 februari 2010 om 17:15)  

Great review. I liked this also, but not nearly as much as you. Hope you enjoy the sequel; it was a pretty great read. :)

Luisa at Chicklish  – (10 februari 2010 om 02:04)  

Great review, and I really appreciate the warning! :)

Becky  – (10 februari 2010 om 11:38)  

Okay the wimpy Bookette no longer wants to read this book. From your review I can tell this will be too scary for me. Thanks for the heads up!

Misty  – (12 februari 2010 om 09:33)  

I was so sure for the longest time that I didn't want to read this, and I have no idea why. Now, I've been hearing such great things about it, so it's on the list. I think I'm going to save it for Helluva Halloween II

Brianne  – (13 februari 2010 om 18:58)  

This definitely looks scary! Eeek!
But I have a sick curiousity when it comes to scary stories. xD
Great review! I'll be looking forward to reading this one.

SiNn  – (13 februari 2010 om 21:17)  

this sounds great ty for the review!

Michelle  – (18 februari 2010 om 16:59)  

Oooh sounds creepy. I've been wanting to read something scary for a little while now. The concept is really cool. Thanks for the review! :)

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP