Ondine: The Summer of Shambles by E.J.McKenna

Title: Ondine: The Summer of Shambles

Written by: E.J.McKenna
Release date: 5 April 2010
Pages: 336
Source: Received from Becky!
Part of:2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge

My feelings:


Description:
This is a brilliantly witty fairy tale with a mystery that is as surreal as it is sinister. One girl. One boy. One spell to be broken. Ondine de Groot is a normal fifteen-year-old who lives with her family in the European country of Brugel. She has a pet ferret called Shambles. But Shambles is no ordinary ferret... He's Hamish McPhee, a boy cursed by a witch. A witch who happens to be related to Ondine.

When Shambles turns back into Hamish temporarily, Ondine knows that she has to help him break the spell. He is the most gorgeous boy she has ever met and her one true love! He just can't remain a ferret forever. Can he?

Set in the completely made up country of Brugel in Eastern Europe, the Ondine & Shambles books are fun, Young Adult novels with broad appeal, and sometimes barefaced cheek. But ferrets are like that.

My Review:
A big thank you goes to Becky for sending me this sweet book. After reading her review I was immediately intrigued. I mean what if you find a pet ferret and what if it could talk to you. Okay I know it totally sounds like a familiar fairytale, but who really cares. I don’t.

What’s the title of this blog? Yes it’s jadore happy endings and this one got it!Last week I read the book and I had a hard time putting it down. It was sweet, funny, charming and yet again funny.

Ondine de Groot (Such a Dutch name) comes back from psychic camp with her pet ferret. When she finds out that this pet ferret can talk, she wonders how he would look like in human form. The dialogue between the ferret and Ondine is hilarious, you will laugh your butt of.

And when he finally turns in to a guy, he’s totally HOT. But too bad the spell isn’t broken, because when their lips touch eachother he turns back into Shambles again. (hilarious, I couldn’t stop laughing) Ondine is of course determined to help Shambles and on the way she causes some trouble in her family. Life always get in the way of your most biggest dreams.

Of course there has to be a bad boy in the story and who’s better than Vincent. That guy reminded me of prince Charming in Shrek. Charming, yet dangerous.

Because it’s a fairytale and we all know how this is going to end, I am not going to say allot about the story. You just have to read it when it comes out!

Again thank you Becky for sending me this wonderful book. As we all know by now I do adore a happy ending.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (2 februari 2010 om 10:38)  

Looks SO good! Thanks for the awesome review.

I love all the lovely embellishments on this cover :)

miss cindy :)  – (2 februari 2010 om 11:38)  

This sounds really cute :) I haven't heard of it before, but I will have to check it out!

Sarah  – (2 februari 2010 om 11:45)  

Sounds like a really cute story :o) I might have to read this one!

Jazz R.J.  – (2 februari 2010 om 12:10)  

Great Review! This book sounds absolutely adorable.

Sarah  – (2 februari 2010 om 14:40)  

I haven't heard of this book, but you had me at "fairy tale" and "ferret". It sounds cute. Thanks for the great review!

Lizzy  – (2 februari 2010 om 16:46)  

I hadn't heard of this one, so thanks for the great review! I'll definitely be adding this one to my list.

Addicted Book Reader  – (2 februari 2010 om 16:58)  

Wow, sounds really good. I've never heard of this book either, but it has a really cute cover! Very nice review : D

inthehammockblog  – (2 februari 2010 om 19:36)  

This one looks so good!! I'm putting it on my to read list!

Becky  – (3 februari 2010 om 02:02)  

It is an absolute pleasure. I'm so glad you enjoyed it so much. I had a feeling it would be a hit with you. Happy endings, Scottish ferret, humour...what more could you want? Great review Nina. Did you know Ebony blogged about it?

Ladybug  – (3 februari 2010 om 02:22)  

Great review, Nina! I put this book on my wishlist, it sounds like a sweet and funny read.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages)  – (3 februari 2010 om 06:01)  

Sounds like a great fairy tale read with just a pinch of happy ending. Sounds wonderful!

Thanks for the review, as I have not heard of the book till now.

hmsgofita  – (3 februari 2010 om 07:11)  

I love happy endings too! I'll have to pick this one up!

Mel (He Followed Me Home)  – (3 februari 2010 om 16:29)  

I'm such a happily ever after fairy tale lover, this looks great! Off to check it out :)

Brianne  – (3 februari 2010 om 16:48)  

Oh, I like! Sounds funky and fun.
Great review!

Alyssa Kirk @ Teens Read and Write  – (3 februari 2010 om 18:56)  

A ferret who is really a hot guy? Count me in!

Nina  – (4 februari 2010 om 07:36)  

Becky: I didn't know. I just saw it!

vvb32 reads  – (5 februari 2010 om 09:15)  

awww at pet ferret. this does sound like a sweet book. i want to read it too. i like the name hamish too ;-D

Lauren  – (6 februari 2010 om 06:47)  

Oooh, this book sounds so cute! Great review! :)

Emily  – (6 februari 2010 om 15:23)  

This book sounds like a really fun read. On an unrelated note, I'm completely in love with your owl-themed background and header. Great post, as always!

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP