Wow (14)

This meme is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine!

Title: The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place
Author: Maryrose Wood
Out on: March, 2010

Found running wild in the forest of Ashton Place, the Incorrigibles are no ordinary children: Alexander, age ten or thereabouts, keeps his siblings in line with gentle nips; Cassiopeia, perhaps four or five, has a bark that is (usually) worse than her bite; and Beowulf, age somewhere-in-the-middle, is alarmingly adept at chasing squirrels.

Luckily, Miss Penelope Lumley is no ordinary governess. Only fifteen years old and a recent graduate of the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females, Penelope embraces the challenge of her new position. Though she is eager to instruct the children in Latin verbs and the proper use of globes, first she must help them overcome their canine tendencies.

But mysteries abound at Ashton Place: Who are these three wild creatures, and how did they come to live in the vast forests of the estate? Why does Old Timothy, the coachman, lurk around every corner? Will Penelope be able to teach the Incorrigibles table manners and socially useful phrases in time for Lady Constance's holiday ball? And what on earth is a schottische?

Miss Penelope Lumley reminds me of Mary Poppins, but then younger! The cover is great, it reminds me of the books written by Neil Gaiman. Love them. And the story sounds fun, enjoyable and of course mysterious.

Melissa  – (10 februari 2010 om 06:48)  

Ooooh I like the sound of this one!

Ceri  – (10 februari 2010 om 06:48)  

Ooh, yeah, I immediately thought of Neil Gaiman while reading about it. I do like the sound of this one. hehe.

Becky  – (10 februari 2010 om 06:57)  

Wow! Fabulous pick Nina. I haven't heard of this book. I wonder if it has a UK release date.

bookwanderer  – (10 februari 2010 om 07:19)  

This sounds AWESOME! It definitely has that tongue-in-cheek Gaiman vibe. And wow, that cover art is fantastic.

Shweta  – (10 februari 2010 om 07:21)  

Such a cute pick Nina.. I so love that cover..

PolishOutlander  – (10 februari 2010 om 07:28)  

What a great pick! This sounds like a fun read.

Megan  – (10 februari 2010 om 07:37)  

Penelope does sound very Mary Poppins-esque. I love the name of the school she graduated from. I mean, how many boarding school books have I read with a character that was bright but with no prospects?

Alayne  – (10 februari 2010 om 07:38)  

Great pick! This book looks so cute. My WOW is at The Crowded Leaf.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (10 februari 2010 om 07:58)  

I can't wait to try this one. I love the vintage artsy cover.

Kelsey  – (10 februari 2010 om 08:11)  

This sounds really good! The cover is too cute :)

Kathy Martin  – (10 februari 2010 om 08:42)  

This one does sound good. I also like the cover. I hope it lives up to the blurb and cover.

Mary  – (10 februari 2010 om 11:37)  

"Academy for Poor Bright Females" :D This sounds great!

Diane  – (10 februari 2010 om 12:45)  

This book is on my wish list. It sounds so good.

Corrine  – (10 februari 2010 om 13:19)  

This book sounds like it's going to be really good! I like the tongue-in-cheek vibe that it has going on as well. Excellent pick for this week.

Melissa  – (10 februari 2010 om 13:29)  

Haven't heard of this but it looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

vvb32 reads  – (10 februari 2010 om 15:23)  

the cover and description are so cute. reminds me of edward gorey.

Lizzy  – (10 februari 2010 om 22:25)  

This one sound really interesting, and the cover is cute! I'll have to check this one out

chelleyreads  – (10 februari 2010 om 23:31)  

thanks for the introduction as i've never heard of this book or the author but i LOVE the cover on this one! so cute!! and the blurb sounds interesting as well!

Aye.Me?  – (12 februari 2010 om 05:21)  

Mary Poppins crossed with Neil Gaiman should make a very interesting read. Thanks for sharing, otherwise I would never have know about this book. :)

Misty  – (12 februari 2010 om 09:32)  

Oh, I need to read this. Cover and title alone would have gotten me, but it sounds like it's actually good, too! Thanks, Nina!

Brianne  – (13 februari 2010 om 18:52)  

It does look interesting. Something I have never heard of before. Fresh. Great pick!

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP