Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Title: Wuthering Heights

Written by: Emily Bronte
Release date: (1847) August, 2009
Pages: 400
Source: Bought

My feelings:


Description:
"Wuthering Heights", Emily Bronte's only novel, is one of the pinnacles of 19th-century English literature. It's the story of Heathcliff, an orphan who falls in love with a girl above his class, loses her, and devotes the rest of his life to wreaking revenge on her family.

My Review:
”Wuthering Heights” is all about revenge, miserable lives, romance, hate, selfishness and destroying lives. And being it one of the classics I had to read it!

About the characters:
I thought Catherine was a selfish brat. She had to choose between well let’s say the love of her life who was broke or just a guy who had money. And yes she goes for the gentlemen with money. Instead of leaving Heath Cliff alone, she just had to destroy everybody’s life, including her own. And then she gets insane and got me totally annoyed. I wished her housekeeper just slapped her in the face to shut her up.

From the beginning I didn’t like Heath Cliff. He wanted Catherine and when he couldn’t have her, nobody could. He had so much hate towards Edgar Linton and only wanted revenge. He made me feel sad for him, but also little bit of annoyance. The narrator of the story was Nelly the housekeeper, she told the story trough her eyes. I think this was the best way to tell the story. I don’t know if I could handle it if the narrator was Catherine or Heath cliff.

Joseph, can anyone tell me what he was saying throughout the book? Really! His accent was terrible, sometimes I had to skip it, because the character was cruel and not understandable.

But OMG what a fantastic ending. Yes, I adored it. How could you not love it. It made me happy!I so do not want to spoil the story, but with a story line that’s so depressing this was the light at the end of the tunnel. I do recommend this book but just don’t expect a heart-warming book or anything compared to Jane Austen stories.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (18 maart 2010 om 11:29)  

I LOVE this book. But Catherine and Heathcliff annoyed me too :)
I liked the secondary characters like the narrator, Hareton, and Edgar.
Great review :D

Justine  – (18 maart 2010 om 11:33)  

Ooh I recently finished this one! I actually liked it. It's probably one of my fave classics. Catherine and Heathcliff...well, they do belong together since I got irritated with them too. Haha. Little Linton was reeeeeeally annoying as well...he was the one that bothered me most. But anyway, this was a great classic! Love your review!

Melissa  – (18 maart 2010 om 12:06)  

I LOVE this cover! Great review of a classic!

Kelsey  – (18 maart 2010 om 12:32)  

I really enjoyed this as well. One of my favorite classics!

Ladybug  – (18 maart 2010 om 12:40)  

Great review! I have never read(or seen) Wuthering heights but I do own a copy of it and I'm planning on reading it sometime soon :)

Sarah  – (18 maart 2010 om 14:07)  

I don't think I've ever actually read this one - of course I know most of the story but I really should actually read the book :o) Thanks for the great review!

Meredith  – (18 maart 2010 om 16:05)  

I enjoyed your review, Nina! I'm with you Catherine, not my favorite heroine. I do like Heathcliff, but not as much as I like Mr. Rochester from Jane Eyre. Boy, those Bronte sisters really enjoyed having tortured and brooding heroes!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog  – (18 maart 2010 om 18:44)  

Great review!! LOOOVE the cover art!! I've been meaning to read this one for so long!!

Lily Child  – (18 maart 2010 om 19:59)  

I soooo need to read this book! It's referenced in many books that I read! I have it sitting on my shelf, but just haven't had the urge to pick it up. Thanks for the great review! Perhaps I'll be picking this one up in the near future! :)

Book Monster  – (18 maart 2010 om 22:52)  

I've not read this, but it looks interesting!!

Shweta  – (18 maart 2010 om 23:21)  

I know , she was such a brat. I read this first when I was in school and hated them all and thought I had wasted my time reading this book. But 2 years back,I read it again ,but this time saw it in a new light with flawed characters and basic human nature of jealousy , hate , repentance. Now it's one of my fav classics.

Lovely review Nina

Jan von Harz  – (19 maart 2010 om 01:38)  

My favorite is Jane Eyre, but Wuthering Heights is great too. Good Review. By the way I gave you a blog award.

Sarah  – (19 maart 2010 om 11:27)  

I laughed when you said you wished the housekeeper would just slap Cathy :) I felt the same way. I also love this book--the writing is fantastic, even if the characters are miserable. Great review!

brizmus  – (20 maart 2010 om 16:20)  

I suddenly have this weird desire to read Wuthering Heights when I never did before.

Lauren  – (20 maart 2010 om 17:44)  

Great review! I haven't read this one yet, but now with your review I think I may.

Sheila (Bookjourney)  – (20 maart 2010 om 22:25)  

This book was a fun review for me too - Kathryn I am sure is bipolar - she is up and she is down..... I love your comment about slapping her. That should have been in the book.

I never did like Heathcliff.... I don't see what the big deal is with him. The man drive me nuts and I thought he was verbally abusive.

That being said - I too enjoyed the book :)

Lea (YA Book Queen)  – (21 maart 2010 om 07:34)  

Awesome review! I haven't read this one yet, but at least I know what to expect when I do! :D

dArLyN  – (21 maart 2010 om 20:01)  

I have to find this book! I just finished evermore and wuthering heights seemed to be their highschool book.and ohh i love the new cover too.. =)

Nina  – (22 maart 2010 om 11:32)  

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments. I really enjoyed this book and I cant wait to read Jane Eyre. :)

hmsgofita  – (22 maart 2010 om 11:55)  

I read this one a few years ago and really hated it, but I've decided to reread it as part of the Bronte Challenge so I'm not expecting to love it any more than before, but am hoping to gain a better literary respect for it.

alitareads  – (22 maart 2010 om 12:16)  

Oh, I love that cover! It makes me want to read Wurthering Heights ever more!

vvb32 reads  – (22 maart 2010 om 15:36)  

i love this cover, too. i have this book on my to read list this year. it sounds depressing but such a classic.

btw: you've been awarded ;-D
http://vvb32reads.blogspot.com/2010/02/most-amazing-follower-award.html

Christina T  – (22 maart 2010 om 16:37)  

Great review. I am going to force myself to read it this year. I loved Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre and my goal this year is to read one of Anne Bronte's books and Wuthering Heights. I may watch the movie first.

Jenny N.  – (22 maart 2010 om 18:41)  

I love the cover on your copy of Wuthering Heights. I have a copy waiting to be read by me but I'm always hesitant to pick it up. I'm a little intimidated that its a classic. You did a good review on it so maybe I will finally read it soon.

....Petty Witter  – (28 maart 2010 om 05:52)  

I haven't actually read the book but I've seen many tv/film versions that I feel I know the story well. I couldn't say which was my favourite but the one I disliked the most would have to be the Cliff Richard musical version, Heathcliffe.

Michelle  – (2 april 2010 om 06:58)  

Those new covers are really pretty. They also had a similar one for The Scarlet Letter but it was too expensive so I just bought another version. :p

I've always wanted to read this book. People talk about it all the time. I'll for sure have to get to it one day just to see what all the fuss is about. Thanks for your review! :D

Ivana  – (8 mei 2010 om 15:53)  

I did a huge book presentation in a class on Wuthering Heights. When I mentioned which book I was going to present, the professor smiled at me patronizingly and asked, "Are you sure you want that?" :D

Anyway, I agree that Kathy is a selfish brat, Heathcliff is a savage brute, but I believe what draws them together is that "boundlesness" of their characters, and it's as if the only way they can function properly is when they are together.
And the ending--oh, it broke my heart. But what goes around, comes around.

Wonderful review!

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP