In My Mailbox (20)

Every sunday or saturday (depends on how I feel) I will show you the books that I bought, received or borrowed! This meme/idea is hosted by TheStorySiren.

The Books that I BOUGHT are:
- The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong (Darkest Powers #1)
- The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong (Darkest Powers #2)

The Books that I BORROWED are:
- Untouchable by Kate Brian (Private #3)
- Confessions by Kate Brian (Private #4)
- A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (Gemma Doyle #1)

The above books are borrowed from the local library.

Description The Summoning: After years of frequent moves following her mother’s death, Chloe Saunders’s life is finally settling down. She is attending art school, pursuing her dreams of becoming a director, making friends, meeting boys. Her biggest concern is that she’s not developing as fast as her friends are. But when puberty does hit, it brings more than hormone surges. Chloe starts seeing ghosts–everywhere, demanding her attention. After she suffers a breakdown, her devoted aunt Lauren gets her into a highly recommended group home. At first, Lyle House seems a pretty okay place, except for Chloe’s small problem of fearing she might be facing a lifetime of mental illness. But as she gradually gets to know the other kids at the home–charming Simon and his ominous, unsmiling brother Derek, obnoxious Tori, and Rae, who has a “thing” for fire–Chloe begins to realize that there is something that binds them all together, and it isn’t your usual “problem kid” behaviour. And together they discover that Lyle House is not your usual group home either…

Description The Awakening: If you had met me a few weeks ago, you probably would have described me as an average teenage girl—someone normal. Now my life has changed forever and I'm as far away from normal as it gets. A living science experiment—not only can I see ghosts, but I was genetically altered by a sinister organization called the Edison Group. What does that mean? For starters, I'm a teenage necromancer whose powers are out of control; I raise the dead without even trying. Trust me, that is not a power you want to have. Ever.
Now I'm running for my life with three of my supernatural friends—a charming sorcerer, a cynical werewolf, and a disgruntled witch—and we have to find someone who can help us before the Edison Group finds us first. Or die trying.


Description Untouchable: Cheating, partying, blackmail, and now...murder? Can the Billings Girls remain untouchable? Reed's boyfriend, Thomas Pearson -- the popular, easygoing, irresistibly handsome and charismatic boy she fell in love with -- is dead. No one knows how it happened, and everyone is after the truth. Or are they? Life at Easton Academy begins to feel very different. Taylor is acting like the poster child for Prozac, Kiran is spiking her cornflakes, Noelle is being kind of...nice, and Arianna keeps floating along as if nothing has happened. Thanksgiving break arrives and Reed and Josh find themselves alone on campus. They are forced to confront the feelings they've been hiding. Those feelings combined with an empty campus result in the hottest hook-up Reed could possibly imagine. But when Reed breaks the news about Josh to the Billings Girls, there's no fun game of tell-all. Instead, Josh begins to look like suspect No. 1 in the murder of Thomas Pearson. The perfect life Reed has constructed as a Billings Girl begins to crumble. And as everyone becomes more convinced of Josh's guilt, Reed's private suspicions lead her somewhere she doesn't want to go.

Description Confessions: Reed Brennan came to superposh Easton Academy to make a brand-new life for herself. At first it seemed as though her dream had come true-she was living in the ultra exclusive Billings Hall, hanging out with the all-powerful Billings Girls, and dating the very hot Thomas Pearson. But Thomas turned out to be different from what she thought...and then he turned up dead. And if that wasn't twisted enough, Reed's new boyfriend, Josh Hollis, was arrested for Thomas's murder. Now everyone is back to worrying about the regular stuff, like how to sneak to the boys' dorms at night, whether two-ply cashmere is warm enough for fall, and whether to fly to London or Barcelona for Thanksgiving break. Everyone except for Reed. Reed is convinced that Josh is innocent, which means the killer is still out there. Now it's up to Reed to uncover the truth. But the deeper she digs, the more secrets she unearths and the closer she gets to the confession that will change everything...if she's alive to hear it.


Description A Great and Terrible Beauty: A Victorian boarding school story, a Gothic mansion mystery, a gossipy romp about a clique of girlfriends, and a dark other-worldly fantasy--jumble them all together and you have this complicated and unusual first novel. Gemma, 16, has had an unconventional upbringing in India, until the day she foresees her mother's death in a black, swirling vision that turns out to be true. Sent back to England, she is enrolled at Spence, a girls' academy with a mysterious burned-out East Wing. There Gemma is snubbed by powerful Felicity, beautiful Pippa, and even her own dumpy roommate Ann, until she blackmails herself and Ann into the treacherous clique. Gemma is distressed to find that she has been followed from India by Kartik, a beautiful young man who warns her to fight off the visions. Nevertheless, they continue, and one night she is led by a child-spirit to find a diary that reveals the secrets of a mystical Order. The clique soon finds a way to accompany Gemma to the other-world realms of her visions "for a bit of fun" and to taste the power they will never have as Victorian wives, but they discover that the delights of the realms are overwhelmed by a menace they cannot control. Gemma is left with the knowledge that her role as the link between worlds leaves her with a mission to seek out the "others" and rebuild the Order. A Great and Terrible Beauty is an impressive first book in what should prove to be a fascinating trilogy.

Also tommorow I'm going to the musical Mary Poppins! I'm going with my two older sisters and I am so excited to go! I will post some pictures monday!

Hope you all have a fantastic weekend!

Au Revoir for now, Nina.

Christina/Book Addict  – (16 april 2010 om 04:49)  

Great books this week. I actually just bought The Summoning. GATB is a good read. I hope you enjoy your books and have a great time at Marry Poppins. Can't wait to see your photos! :)

fredamans  – (16 april 2010 om 10:28)  

Great books. I love Kelley Armstrong!

Melissa  – (16 april 2010 om 13:28)  

I almost have all the Kelley Armstrong YAs ready to read! I think I need the last two. :)

Enjoy the play, I understand it is a good one!

Addicted Book Reader  – (16 april 2010 om 13:29)  

Wow, the Private books look a lot different in Dutch. I just finished the 3rd and 4th a couple months ago, and they were really great! Enjoy : )

Jenny N.  – (16 april 2010 om 19:12)  

I've read both of the Kelley Armstrong books and love the series. Hope you'll enjoy them too.:)

Book Monster  – (17 april 2010 om 01:11)  

Oooh The Summoning and The Awakening are awesome. And The Reckoning is the best out of all three :) Enjoy your books, Happy Reading

YA Vampire Books  – (17 april 2010 om 03:31)  

Great bunch of books - don't think I've read any of them! I have the Awakening in my bookshelf though, so I might read that one soon. Enjoy your books"

Sarah  – (17 april 2010 om 14:32)  

Great books Nina - I really want to read the Darkest Powers series but haven't got around to buying them yet. I hope you enjoy them & will look forward to your reviews :o)

Ladybug  – (20 april 2010 om 08:22)  

I hope you'll enjoy The Summoning and The Awakening as much as I did, Nina! I want to read A Great and Terrible Beauty, I've only heard good things about it :)

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP