Swift as Desire by Laura Esquivel

Title: Swift as Desire
Written by: Laura Esquivel
Release date: August, 2002
Pages: 208
Source: Borrowed
Part of: Wish I’d Read That Challenge &
Orbis Terrarum Reading Challenge

My feelings:



Description:
Instead of entering the world crying like other babies, Júbilo was born with a smile on his face. He had a gift for hearing what was in people's hearts, for listening to sand dunes sing and insects whisper. Even as a young boy, acting as an interpreter between his warring Mayan grandmother and his Spanish-speaking mother, he would translate words of spite into words of respect, so that their mutual hatred turned to love. When he grew up, he put his gift to good use in his job as a humble telegraph operator.
But now the telegraph lies abandoned, obsolete as a form of communication in the electronic age, and don Júbilo is on his deathbed, mute and estranged from his beloved wife, Lucha, who refuses to speak to him. What tragic event has come between two such sensuous, loving people to cause their seemingly irreparable rift? What mystery lies behind the death of the son no one ever mentions? Can their daughter bring reconciliation to her parents before it is too late, by acting as an interpreter between them, just as Júbilo used to do for other people?

My Review:
If you remember my review for Water for Chocolate, the first book I read written by Laura Esquivel I told you that it’s now one of my favourite romances. Many said that the other books that Esquivel wrote weren’t that great as ‘Water for Chocolate’. I have to agree that the first was the best, but isn’t that always the case. When you adore the first the others are just … okay. I didn’t had high hopes for this one, but when I started it everything changed.

Jubilo is such a great character, he doesn’t care about money or material things. I loved that when he gives a present it’s not a expensive gift, but a gift from the heart. Isn’t that the way it should be. Jubilo grows up in a loving family, they are not rich or have a lot of money, but they do the best they can.

Lucha, the woman he loves, has grown up in a rich family. When she meets and falls in love with Jubilo, she doesn’t care that he hasn’t any money of his own.
They marry pretty young and after a time she finds out that a kind of status is still important in her life. But the status she wants, she can’t get and this is causing problems in the marriage.

When Lucha gets pregnant, they need more money. Lucha decides to get a job herself. The decision to get a job was really good from her, I mean she never worked in her life and was used of people doing everything for her. To get up and start looking for a job is applauding.

She gets a job at the same place Jubilo works and their boss, a real pain in the ass, wants to hook up with her. I know! That’s when the real problems begin. Jubilo gets jealous, even though there isn’t any reason for him to become it. From here the story goes very fast, this is because it gets more exciting to read. You want to know what happens next and if they are still going to be with each other in the end.

The ending is romantic and at the same time very sad. I enjoyed this story very well, it was well written and even with the slow pace (near the end fast), it got my full attention.
I can’t wait to go to the library and rent another book written by this author.

Blodeuedd  – (19 april 2010 om 06:50)  

great review, you make the book sound so lovely

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (19 april 2010 om 09:16)  

Oh lovely review. I adore Like Water for Chocolate and should really really read this some day.

fredamans  – (19 april 2010 om 10:31)  

This is one that sounds like an emotional read, and I do enjoy that in a story. Great review!

Becky  – (19 april 2010 om 11:32)  

Ooh and doesn't it just sound so romantic. I love that this review is so detailed Nina. You have got me wanting to read this.

Melissa  – (19 april 2010 om 12:27)  

Ah, what a good review. Also sounds like a emotional book. One or two tissue story? :)

Shweta  – (19 april 2010 om 21:03)  

Water For Chocolate was a wonderful book and after reading this wonderful review I am gonna go hunting for this book :)

....Petty Witter  – (20 april 2010 om 07:13)  

That wasn't a smile, just wind (lol).

Nina  – (20 april 2010 om 07:55)  

Thank you all for your lovely comments!

Melissa; The whole box is better. :)

Petty Witter; You crack me up, LOL!

Cleverly Inked  – (20 april 2010 om 16:24)  

This sounds lovely. Wonderful review

Lizzy  – (20 april 2010 om 18:45)  

Great review! I hadn't heard of this one, but now I'll definitely have to check it out

claire  – (21 april 2010 om 08:28)  

Glad you liked it! I loved the first half, but not the second half. But good to see a much appreciative reader because I did love Like Water for Choloate a lot and wish Esquivel wrote more books.

Een reactie posten

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP