The Earth Hums in B Flat by Mari Strachan

Title: The Earth Hums in B Flat

Written by: Mari Strachan
Release date: March, 2009
Pages: 300
Source: Library
Part of: Wish I’d Read That Challenge

My feelings:


Description:
Mari Strachan's debut novel, The Earth Hums in B Flat, has charmed readers around the world with its sparkling portrayal of one unusually imaginative twelve-year-old girl whose investigation into a local crime yields startling repercussions." "Gwenni Morgan is an incorrigible free spirit with a penchant for eavesdropping and a stubborn need to understand human behaviour, which merely leads to more questions. Her struggle to define the world around her is offset by a fantastic dream world where each night she rises from the bed she shares with her sister and flies high into the sky above her small Welsh village. There, Gwenni becomes tuned into the earth's softest subtleties, and its hidden mysteries." When a neighbourhood family is rocked by the sudden, unexplainable disappearance of their patriarch, Gwenni believes that her unknown talents will allow her to discover the truth. But distinguishing fact from fiction carries more difficulties than she first predicted, and her quest for answers will soon lead her closer to home than she ever imagined.

My Review:
The Earth Hums in B Flat is a wonderful, magical tale about a young girl trying to unravel the murder of a neighbour. Gwenni, a young girl who lives with her parents and sister in Wales has a vivid imagination. She truly believes she can fly and she does so almost every night when she’s supposed to be sleeping. Her mother thinks she’s odd and doesn’t want Gwenni to talk about these things. From the start I didn’t like her mother, a very bossy woman who indeed worked hard to live in a better home, but treated Gwenni very bad. When there’s a murder in town, Gwenni believes that with her flying capabilities she can find clues and find out who the murderer is. At first she cannot connect the glues together, but when she finally does there’s a much bigger secret to be hidden.

Gwenni was such a naïve character. She truly couldn’t see any harm in anybody. The story begins with Gwenni being I believe twelve and throughout the book you could see the change. She didn’t wanted to play, talk to boys and when her best friend talked about probably having a boyfriend she thought she was crazy. Near the end Gwenni speaks to a boy and start to be his friend. She’s changing into a real teenager.

All of the characters in the book where great. I adored Tada, the father, he was so sweet and a good men. He worked hard everyday and had a unbelievable strength. The mother, I didn’t love that much, she was too hard on Gwenni and telling your child is odd isn’t very nice.

Even though there where a few slow passages, the story was still very good. The details of the living room that Mari gave was fantastic and I could imagine myself in there sitting room on Tada’s chair. I never knew who killed the neighbour and I was sad to find out who did it. The clues weren’t hidden at all, but open for all to see. Near the end I almost cried, I thought it was too sad, but I don’t know if there could be a better ending for this story. If you enjoy a good mystery, try this one out. Don’t think it’s all about flying and paranormal stuff, it’s certainly not. It’s about life and the imagination of a twelve year old girl.

celi.a  – (24 mei 2010 om 06:47)  

I love the cover artwork of this one - I think I'll have to give it a try. Nice review!

Erika  – (24 mei 2010 om 06:57)  

fantastic review! this is the first time i'm hearing of this book, but it sounds wonderful. i love the title!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (24 mei 2010 om 07:22)  

Great review. Gorgeous fun cover. I must learn more about this book :)

PS You fed my movie and book list today :)

Milli  – (24 mei 2010 om 09:05)  

Wonderful review! This seems like the kind of book that I would read:D

thebookfairyhaven  – (24 mei 2010 om 11:04)  

What a lovely review. I was utterly charmed by it and adore the beautiful cover. I definitely think I'll add this to my books to read pile. :)

Blodeuedd  – (24 mei 2010 om 12:49)  

It sounds like a good book, and such a great lovely review

Melissa  – (24 mei 2010 om 13:09)  

I love the title of this book, and it sounds like a good read. Thanks for the review!

Sarah  – (24 mei 2010 om 13:46)  

This sounds like an odd and interesting read. Thanks for the intriguing and honest review :)

notinthepink.com  – (24 mei 2010 om 14:39)  

I do like the sound of this and might pick it up if I spotted it in the library. I usually stay away from books set in Wales - Being from Wales, myself, I find that we're represented in a very farfetched, stereotypical way.

Great review. :)

~*~
Ceri

Natalie (Mindful Musings)  – (24 mei 2010 om 15:02)  

I haven't heard of this book, but it sounds good! And I see your reading The Otherworldlies. Haven't read that one yet, but I have a copy sitting on my shelf. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it! :)

Christina/Book Addict  – (24 mei 2010 om 15:23)  

Great review! I need to learn more about this book, too! I haven't heard of it, but it sounds like something I'd like. The characters do sound very interesting!

....Petty Witter  – (25 mei 2010 om 02:28)  

I've heard such mixed things about this book varying from the best thing ever to too slow - good to hear your thoughts, I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

Nina  – (25 mei 2010 om 09:20)  

Juju: Woohoo, my job here is done. LOL. :)

Ceri: The book described the people from Wales really good, nothing to be ashamed of. Trust me you would love it.

Darlyn  – (25 mei 2010 om 11:10)  

Hi Nina!

Wow..I just love the review.And of course, a story of a 12 years old girl could be more enjoyable.I love it =)

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP