A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

Title: A Great and Terrible Beauty

Written by: Libba Bray
Release date: July, 2005
Pages: 403
Source: Library

My feelings:


Description:
Gemma, 16, has had an unconventional upbringing in India, until the day she foresees her mother's death in a black, swirling vision that turns out to be true. Sent back to England, she is enrolled at Spence, a girls' academy with a mysterious burned-out East Wing. There Gemma is snubbed by powerful Felicity, beautiful Pippa, and even her own dumpy roommate Ann, until she blackmails herself and Ann into the treacherous clique. Gemma is distressed to find that she has been followed from India by Kartik, a beautiful young man who warns her to fight off the visions. Nevertheless, they continue, and one night she is led by a child-spirit to find a diary that reveals the secrets of a mystical Order. The clique soon finds a way to accompany Gemma to the other-world realms of her visions "for a bit of fun" and to taste the power they will never have as Victorian wives, but they discover that the delights of the realms are overwhelmed by a menace they cannot control. Gemma is left with the knowledge that her role as the link between worlds leaves her with a mission to seek out the "others" and rebuild the Order.

My Review:
I got the tendency to get the first book of a series, read it and let the other books in the series to slide by. Call me evil, I will. And to my surprise the library had the first two books in another wonderful series called the “Gemma Doyle trilogy”. I like series. Yes, I even did a happy dance when I found out. And no not at the library, but at home, in my room, where nobody can see my look a like Carlton (fresh prince of bel air, peeps) dance. So I took the first one home with me, read it and ran to the library to get the second one because I promised myself I am going to read all of the books.

Let me start by saying that I enjoyed reading this book. In the beginning Gemma annoyed me, she was presented as a typical teenager who would cry in the supermarket, just because she can’t get the candy she wanted. But when a murder happens she changes into a young woman, she has too, cause she’s shipped to boarding school abroad.

The writing was excellent, the world on the other side of the door was magically described and it gave me a excellent view of it. There was not a lot of action in the book, but just enough to keep me reading further.
What I didn’t like was the family. Her father who can’t get over his loss turns to alcohol, and the brother she has isn’t the nicest person around. He could have been more nicer in my opinion. Let’s hope his character changes in the next two books.

This book is perfect to read in the winter, just to curl up under a blanket with a nice hot cup of tea beside you. Unfortunately, my luck run out, somebody already borrowed the second book in the series. Just my luck.

Shy  – (7 mei 2010 om 03:22)  

This is one of the books I've meant to read since a *very* long time ago. I heard it is a very nice story, so I'm hoping that one day I'd get the chance to give this a try. I wonder though if it is a fun read or something more serious?

Blodeuedd  – (7 mei 2010 om 03:38)  

Hm, the library has got them all..but perhaps I should save them for the winter ;)

Nina  – (7 mei 2010 om 04:16)  

Shy: I think they are more serious than fun, but still really good stuff. :)

Blodeuedd: I believe Winter is the best month to read these books. Why? I like my books to be quick, sweet and light in the summer.

Christina/Book Addict  – (7 mei 2010 om 05:10)  

Great review! I really enjoyed this book and series as well. I liked this book the most. I agree; Libba Bray is a great author. I'm glad you liked it and I hope you get to read the others in the series!

Shweta  – (7 mei 2010 om 05:19)  

Gemma annoyed me too but she is a great protagonist and as I read through the series I sort of liked her.

Christina T  – (7 mei 2010 om 05:23)  

Nice review! I liked this series, but the first book was my favorite.

Darlyn  – (7 mei 2010 om 06:15)  

Wow..Glad your library has it all three..Since it will never be winter in my country, i guess it's a good read in a rainy day.At least i curl up in bed all day long.

Great review Nina!

Lizzy  – (7 mei 2010 om 07:31)  

I haven't read this series, but I've heard good things about it. I'll definitely have to pick the first one up!

MarceJ  – (7 mei 2010 om 08:20)  

This is a series I keep considering. Let me know if you get Prop Sisters and what you think.

Also, if you have read anything that kinda reminded you of Charmed, please do recommend, I so miss that show :-)

Adriana  – (7 mei 2010 om 08:41)  

I absolutely love this series. It was one of my first YA books I've read. I did a happy dance as well when the last book came in the mail a few days before it's release. I finished those 800 plus pages in two days. Hope you enjoy the next two books!

Sullivan McPig  – (7 mei 2010 om 09:37)  

I loved this trilogy, but man, I wanted to kick Gemma for acting like a moron from time to time.

Kelsey  – (7 mei 2010 om 12:20)  

This has been in my TBR for a long time. I will have to read it soon, I love the sound of it!

-I also have a tendency to read the first book in a series and not read the rest :P

Melissa  – (7 mei 2010 om 12:51)  

Love the cover. I wouldn't worry about doing a happy dance in public. I have. People just laugh with you. ;) Hope you get the second book soon. I'd like to see your review of that one as well.

The Critic  – (7 mei 2010 om 12:54)  

I love this series! It's one of my favorites. The last book does have shockers though, so beware!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog  – (7 mei 2010 om 14:41)  

LOL at your Carlton dance :) I'm glad you really liked this one! Great review!

Sarah (Limerick)  – (7 mei 2010 om 17:20)  

It really is a great book for winter. It was alright for me. I found the first half really slow until I really got into it. But the story line is so cool. I can't wait what will happen next. Thanks for the review! :)

PolishOutlander  – (7 mei 2010 om 19:52)  

I really enjoyed this trilogy but I am curious to know what you think of the third book. Here's hoping the second book gets returned to the library quickly so you can read it!

Natalie (Mindful Musings)  – (7 mei 2010 om 23:53)  

Ooo...I really liked this series. Glad to hear you finally got a chance to pick it up. Good luck with getting your hands on the sequel! Great review. :)

blueicegal  – (8 mei 2010 om 05:31)  

Ive read the series, its such a great find, i found her annoying to at times because she does make a lot of silly mistakes, but that's what makes her so relatable good review :)

Robby  – (8 mei 2010 om 09:01)  

I cannot wait to read this. :]

Sarah (Book Reviews from Inside an Igloo)  – (8 mei 2010 om 10:35)  

Great review Nina :) I've always been curious about this book!! And you've made me more excited to start it!! Thanks

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (8 mei 2010 om 14:47)  

I really need to read this again. I read it ages ago and remember liking certain aspects and disliking certain aspects. Thanks for the review :)

Bookalicious Ramblings  – (9 mei 2010 om 07:40)  

Ooh, just wonderful review reminded me that I really must read this asap! I've had a copy for ages, but haven't managed to read it yet. :(
ps: Yay for Carlton - seeing that clip again brought a smile to my face. :)

Marinela Reka  – (9 mei 2010 om 08:27)  

Great review, thanks for sharing Nina :)
Short Poems

Milli  – (9 mei 2010 om 09:33)  

I loved this! But it also seems like the kind series that gets boring after the first book.

Lea (YA Book Queen)  – (9 mei 2010 om 11:34)  

Awesome review! I enjoyed this series a lot, and I hope you do too once you get your hands on Rebel Angels! :)

Lily Child  – (10 mei 2010 om 07:59)  

I picked these up a while ago, but haven't read them yet. Thank yo so much for your review! I have been wanting to read more reviews on them before I start to read them! :)

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP