The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick


Title: The Invention of Hugo Cabret
Written by: Brian Selznick
Release date: January, 2007
Pages: 533
Source: Library
Part of: Wish I’d Read That Challenge
My feelings:

Description:
Orphan Hugo Cabret lives in a wall. His secret home is etched out in the crevices of a busy Paris train station. Part-time clock keeper, part-time thief, he leads a life of quiet routine until he gets involved with an eccentric, bookish young girl and an angry old man who runs a toy booth in the station. The Invention of Hugo Cabret unfolds its cryptic, magical story in a format that blends elements of picture book, novel, graphic novel, and film. Caldecott Honor-winning author-illustrator Brian Selznick has fashioned an intricate puzzle story that binds the reader like a mesmerist's spell.

My Review:
Wonderful. One word to describe this book. I have a feeling that this book is going to be bought in the near future and not only for myself, but also for my older sister. I read about this book at one of my favourite beautiful blogs Kiss a cloud when I was browsing her reviews, added it to my tbr list and then totally forgot about it. I know. Shame on me for not thinking about it earlier. But then I saw the book translated on a shelf at the library. Immediately my thoughts went to the review and I picked it up.
The book is part illustrations (drawings) and part writing. The illustrations are gorgeous. Truly I wished I could draw like that. When the writing stopped, the illustration went on with the story. It was like a short movie that you where watching. I adore the illustrations where you could see the eyes of Hugo, you could see the emotions he felt trough it.

Now on to the story. The story was cute and suspenseful. Hugo Cabret is an orphan, whose dad died during his shift at night. His uncle had the custody of Hugo and he went home with him. Unfortunately his uncle couldn’t take care of Hugo and left him alone. Hugo needed to take care of himself, so he did the only thing he could do, steal. Hugo had to grow up fast and it was sad to see this. The boy’s character was brave, very lonely and had a lot of secrets. When he discovers the invention his dad worked on, his whole life changes.

Even though the book has over 500 pages, the story was short. The most part of the book was filled with those awesome illustrations. I took some pictures of the illustrations in this book, just to give you an idea. I recommend this book to all of you, just try it.

dArLyN  – (3 mei 2010 om 05:12)  

Wow..I never read any books with illustrations before.Except for manga or comic. Nice review Nina!

Blodeuedd  – (3 mei 2010 om 06:01)  

That good?! Ok, have to borrow it, cos the library has it

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (3 mei 2010 om 07:21)  

I remember reading this and loving it. Awesome review :)

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog  – (3 mei 2010 om 08:58)  

Awesome review!! I'm pretty sure my mom read this one and liked it too b/c I remember her telling me that it was kinda short with all the illustrations.

Sullivan McPig  – (3 mei 2010 om 09:58)  

Nice review. Hadn't heard of this book before. but sounds good.

irisonbooks  – (3 mei 2010 om 10:25)  

I read a review for the audio version of this book (it appears they managed to translate the graphics to audio) and added it to my wishlist instantly. I'm glad to come across another glowing review.

Melissa  – (3 mei 2010 om 12:31)  

I do love the illustrations. One reasons I might be found looking at children's books from time to time. :)

Thanks for the review and bringing this to my attention!

Milli  – (3 mei 2010 om 14:49)  

Nice review. I absolutely loved this book! I'm so glad you read it!

Jill of The O.W.L.  – (3 mei 2010 om 20:03)  

I have one girl in my homeroom group that hates to read but she LOVED this book. I've got to read it at some time. I know I'll get it down quickly

Kris (Voracious YAppetite)  – (4 mei 2010 om 00:22)  

I love novels with illustrations! I've always been a fan of words coupled with art to tell a story. This one sounds particularly unique and quirky. I'd love to read it sometime!

....Petty Witter  – (4 mei 2010 om 04:20)  

It sounds like a modern day fairy story. Many thanks for sharing, another read to be added to my wish list.

Shweta  – (4 mei 2010 om 10:32)  

The illustrations look awesome Nina ! I must find the book.Though I am not sure if I will be able to get this book through the library.

Lauren  – (4 mei 2010 om 15:00)  

The illustrations for this book look lovely. I haven't heard of it before, but I'm feeling a little bit enchanted now.

vvb32 reads  – (5 mei 2010 om 16:46)  

i loved this too. especially for the illustrations. it was also interesting to see the life behind a clock.

Nina  – (6 mei 2010 om 04:05)  

Thank you all for commenting, the illustrations of this book is really beautiful and if you can get a copy at the library I for sure would recommend you to get it. :)

Christina T  – (7 mei 2010 om 05:26)  

I've heard really good things about this book and I've been thinking about reading it but I haven't gotten it yet. It is being made into a movie so I definitely need to read it soon. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing pictures of the illustrations too. Fantastic review!

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP