The Otherworldlies by Jennifer Anne Kogler

Title: The Otherworldlies

Written by: Jennifer Anne Kogler
Release date: June, 2008
Pages: 400
Source: Bought

My Feelings:


Description:
Fern communicates with her dog, blisters from just moments in the sun, and has correctly predicted the daily weather for more than two years. Even so, she's always seemed to be a normal twelve-year-old girl . . . until one day when Fern closes her eyes in class and opens them seconds later on a sandy beach miles away from school. When Fern disappears again, this time to a place far more dangerous, she begins to realize exactly how different she is.
With the help of her twin brother, Sam, Fern struggles to gain control of her supernatural powers. The arrival of a sinister vampire in town—who seems to have an alarming interest in Fern's powers—causes Fern to question her true identity. Who is she? More importantly, who can she count on? Soon Fern finds herself in the middle of a centuries-old battle—one that could destroy Fern and endanger everyone she loves.

My Review:
I hadn’t heard much things about this book, but the cover looked too great to pass it by. There are so many vampire books, that at first I thought that this may even look like those books, but I am glad that it wasn’t.

The characters are really great. Sam and Fern had the best siblings relationship that I ever read in a book. I loved that he was so protective of her and the whole time looked out for her. I liked Fern a lot, but in some situations she could use a back bone. In situations at school where friends of Sam told him his sister was weird, he could have been more helpful and tell them back off. But I did understand him a lot.

The power of teleporting is such a cool power to have. I mean common, wouldn’t that be fun! For Fern the power means that she gets a friend, Lindsey who doesn’t think Fern is strange or a freak and with the whole ride gets to know herself better.

As I said in the beginning the book has vampires in them, but they are not like the vampires we always read about in other YA vampire books. The vampires have of course powers, but they are combined with Greek mythology. I thought this was very original.

Suspenseful till the end, a great plot and cute characters. A must read for younger teens who love paranormal books/ vampires.

Luisa at Chicklish  – (28 mei 2010 om 06:29)  

I really like the sound of this! Thank you for the review.

Blodeuedd  – (28 mei 2010 om 06:53)  

Love the cover! Would have picked it up too.
And that greek myth thing got me interested

Erika  – (28 mei 2010 om 07:08)  

it's nice to hear that kogler added original twists to the vampire theme, which some may think is done to death. and it's lovely that there's a warm sibling relationship in this book! most of the ones i read involve mindless sibling banter.

Melissa  – (28 mei 2010 om 08:26)  

Oh, this so sounds like something I need to put on my wish list. Thanks so much for bringing it to my attention! :)

Darlyn  – (28 mei 2010 om 08:31)  

i love a book when it mixes with some mythology.sounds like some history facts indulges awesomeness in story lines.great review Nina!

Andrea  – (28 mei 2010 om 08:50)  

It sounds like an interesting mashup of powers and supernatural creatures. The cover is very interesting.

Sullivan McPig  – (28 mei 2010 om 10:18)  

Sounds like a fun book. Thanks for the review

Becky  – (28 mei 2010 om 12:41)  

Ooh teleporting sounds fun! I love the sound of the sibling relationship in this too. Great review. If I see this, I'll pick it up.

Natalie (Mindful Musings)  – (28 mei 2010 om 21:25)  

Ooo...I have this one waiting for me on my shelf. Glad to hear you enjoyed it! :)

Kris (Voracious YAppetite)  – (28 mei 2010 om 22:30)  

I love stories with strong sibling love and loyalty, especially when they aren't twins (I kinda expect *special* connections when it comes to twins). I think any vamp book at this point needs a unique twist, but even then, I'm kinda vamped out. This one does sound interesting, though, with the teleporting and Greek angle. Great review!

Jill of The O.W.L.  – (29 mei 2010 om 06:23)  

I really enjoyed this book too. It suprised me for several reason, but the main one was the age of the main character. From the cover I thought she would be older. I was happy she wasn't because it kept the book "clean" for lack of a better word and I could put it on my classroom shelf :) I'm assuming there is a sequel at some point. I should go look for that! Thanks for the review.

wdebo  – (29 mei 2010 om 06:49)  

Whoa is sounds really good! I really gotta check it out...the cover is so great, I would have picked it up just for that too! And I've been staying away from vamp books lately but I think I will make an exception just for this one ;)

....Petty Witter  – (29 mei 2010 om 10:33)  

Sounds like my kind of read, thanks for sharing it with us.

Blueicegal ♥  – (31 mei 2010 om 05:24)  

Ohhhh this one has deffo caught my eye! thanks :D

Nikki-ann  – (31 mei 2010 om 06:06)  

Sounds like a pretty good read :) Great review!

YA Vampire Books  – (8 juni 2010 om 02:36)  

Great review! This books sounds really good! And I agree, teleporting would be so cool!

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP