The Ghost of Crutchfield Hall by Mary Downing Hahn

Title: The Ghost of Crutchfield Hall

Written by: Mary Downing Hahn
Release date: September , 2010
Pages: 160
Source: Net Galley, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

My Feelings:


Description:
When twelve-year-old Florence boards the crowded horse-drawn coach in London, she looks forward to a new life with her great uncle and aunt at Crutchfield Hall, an old manor house in the English countryside. Anything will be better, she thinks, than the grim London orphanage where she has lived since her parents' death. But Florence doesn't expect the ghost of her cousin Sophia, who haunts the cavernous rooms and dimly lit hallways of Crutchfield and concocts a plan to use Florence to help her achieve her murderous goals. Will Florence be able to convince the others in the household of the imminent danger and stop Sophia before it's too late?

My Review:
The Ghost of Crutchfield Hall is a short haunting story, that reminded me a little bit of Northanger Abbey. The dark road to the house and the exterior of it had a familiar touch which I adored.

Florence is a young girl who lives in a orphanage, but one day out of the blue she’s going to live with her great uncle and aunt at Crutchfield Hall. At Crutchfield Hall she finds out that she isn’t allowed to see her cousin James and feels that someone is haunting the place. It’s up to Florence to stop the ghost who is haunting her nephew and now starts to go after her too.

I liked the characters, especially the main character. Florence had a passion for books, especially books written by Jane Austen and Charles Dickens. When she curled up on the couch to read a book in the same room where her uncle sits reading, it makes me want to do this too. So comfy. I loved that the little girl reads such amazing classic books, a smart little girl.

The story was great, but it went a little bit too fast for me. I loved to learn more about the life Florence had in the orphanage. Also a little more depth would have been great. We didn’t learn the reason why she was in the orphanage in the first place and the feelings that she had.

All in all I really liked The Ghost of Crutchfield Hall. I do recommend this to younger teens and those who enjoy a short spooky story.

Melissa  – (8 juni 2010 om 09:39)  

Oh, I've been thinking about reading this one. Sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for the review and making me even more interested. :)

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (8 juni 2010 om 09:47)  

Great review!
I just heard about this one for the first time yesterday.

Sarah (Limerick)  – (8 juni 2010 om 09:47)  

This book sounds so cool! I'm still just entering the spooky/mystery genre but I'd be willing to give this book a try. Thanks for the review! :)

Darlyn  – (8 juni 2010 om 10:54)  

I think I'm going to love this one.Spooky but I think it got my interest!

Christina/Book Addict  – (8 juni 2010 om 16:23)  

Great review- this does sound spooky. I see you got it on NetGalley. I need to get an e-reader. I haven't heard about this one, but I will definitely be putting it on my TBR list! Thanks for sharing this one.

Milli  – (8 juni 2010 om 16:45)  

This is my 1st time hearing about it. It looks sounds really Tim Burton-ish:D Awesome。

Becky  – (9 juni 2010 om 08:08)  

This sounds intriguing but perhaps not deep enough for an older reader. Lovely review though Nina. It speaks Gothic to me.

Jill of The O.W.L.  – (9 juni 2010 om 08:32)  

I've got several students that love all her books. Glad to hear there is another!

notinthepink.com  – (14 juni 2010 om 03:16)  

Great review :) When you said it reminded you a bit of Northanger Abbey, I was intrigued. I love anything that has a nice ghosty (is that a word? :P) story to it and the fact that the main character reads classics is always a plus for me.

~*~*~

Ceri

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP