Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson


Title: Wintergirls
Written by: Laurie Halse Anderson
Release date: March, 2009
Pages: 282
Source: Bought
Part of: Wish I’d Read That Challenge

My Feelings:


Description:
Lia and Cassie are best friends, wintergirls frozen in matchstick bodies, competitors in a deadly contest to see who can be the skinniest. But what comes after size zero and size double-zero? When Cassie succumbs to the demons within, Lia feels she is being haunted by her friend's restless spirit.

In her most emotionally wrenching, lyrically written book since the multiple-award-winning Speak, best-selling author Laurie Halse Anderson explores Lia's descent into the powerful vortex of anorexia, and her painful path toward recovery.

My Review:
Wintergirls was one of those books that was hard to put down. After you started to read the first page, you are glued to the pages. At a certain point I had to put the book down, take a deep breathe and wipe away the tears. You know when the story leaves such a huge impact on you, that it’s good. Wintergirls is one of those books.

Lia deals with her issues to not talk about them. She let them slide by and hope that they disappear in thin air. But they never really do and the bubble seems to be breaking. For me the girl had two sides. The one who lied a lot, counted the calories of the food she ate, the troubled one and the one who loves her little sister dearly, wanted to eat desperately and scream out for help. She was just lost.

Laurie Halse Anderson does a terrific good job writing this heart gripping book. The characters are well developed and you get a pretty good idea what’s going on in the head of Lia. Lia felt real to me and I think that’s why it made such a huge impact. Read it when you have the time for it, sit back and keep the tissues in arms reach.

Erika  – (1 juli 2010 om 08:28)  

this is just... wow. great review! it sounds so moving and emotional and life-changing! this is on my tbr, and now i'm even more anxious to read it :)

Raíla  – (1 juli 2010 om 08:44)  

Aw, it sounds super nice and it's the second time I hear something really good about it. Thanks for the awesome review! I'll be looking forward to read it. :)

Nicole  – (1 juli 2010 om 09:06)  

SO MUCH LOVE for this book.
That is all.

Amelia  – (1 juli 2010 om 09:54)  

I loved this book too. It was so emotionally intense. Have you read Speak? I actually loved Speak more, if thats even possible.

miss cindy :)  – (1 juli 2010 om 10:30)  

I loved this book. Great review :)

Blodeuedd  – (1 juli 2010 om 11:00)  

Great review! I have heard many things about this emotional book

Christina/Book Addict  – (1 juli 2010 om 11:19)  

I have been meaning to read this one. I love Anderson so I will have to pick this one up this summer. It's such a serious issue and I am so glad that Anderson chose to focus on it. So many girls struggle with eating disorders; it's heartbreaking! Thanks for the great review!

Natalie (Mindful Musings)  – (1 juli 2010 om 12:43)  

I loved this book. It was deep, it was heartbreaking, but it was something that I think a lot of people need to learn more about. Great review! :)

Kris (Voracious YAppetite)  – (1 juli 2010 om 12:53)  

I read the first few pages of this book at a bookstore when it first came out but never finished it. I want to, though! I know it's a favorite with a lot of readers and I like Laurie's writing. Thanks for the review!

Cate  – (1 juli 2010 om 16:06)  

This is one of my favorite books. :) I'm so glad you enjoyed it- I think Laurie did an amazzzzing job tackling such difficult subject matter.

Jenny N.  – (1 juli 2010 om 16:48)  

I remember crying a lot when I read Wintergirls. It's one of those boosk that leave an impact on the reader.

Melissa  – (1 juli 2010 om 17:05)  

I've heard good things about this book. Glad you enjoyed it. Sounds like a heartbreaking read. Thanks for the review.

Jane  – (1 juli 2010 om 19:27)  

I have been wanting to read this for soooo long. Great review!

Jane
janestoryblog.blogspot.com

Robby  – (2 juli 2010 om 06:03)  

This is one of my favorite books, by far. I don't think it's going anywhere. I still remember it so well.

Julie  – (2 juli 2010 om 07:37)  

I also just read this and I agree with what you said about the characters in your review. Well-developed and memorable. It seems like we were reading this book at about the same time. Very cool!

....Petty Witter  – (2 juli 2010 om 09:26)  

I wasn't too sure about this book when I began reading your post but by the end I was convinced it was worth having a look at - I love good characters, they are even more important to me than the plot. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jessica (BookLover)  – (2 juli 2010 om 11:49)  

Wow! Five hearts! I've been wanting to read this one. Now, I feel like I must...soon. :)

Cass  – (3 juli 2010 om 02:15)  

I read "Wintergirls", and perhaps it was my association with the topic at hand, but it sounds like I did not enjoy it as much as you did. I really wanted to love it, but I found myself having to take a break from it every now and again. HOWEVER, that does not mean I did not like it. I found myself wrapped inside the story of Lia, and found myself feeling like her, even though I don't have all those problems that she harbors. The beauty in Anderson's writing is that I began to believe that I was Lia. I was a wintergirl too, living in that in-between world- between life and death.

I was glued to the pages for the last 40 pages, so I'll give it that. That's why I gave it a 4/5 for goodreads. Otherwise it would have gotten a 3. I'm interested in reading Speak though! I really do like Anderson's writing. Like I said, it was just that issue about body-image that I could not emotionally fathom. I would recommend it just for the last pages. :) Also, the (original) cover is beautiful.

Nina  – (3 juli 2010 om 03:59)  

Amelia: I havent read Speak, but I really want to now!

Thank you all for the comments! :)

Cass,4/5 rating is still very good! I never read a book about a body image problem and I thought this was a good way for people who don't know about it to learn. I'm also interested in Speak, I was looking for it the other day, but I couldn't find it. I think I will order it later on this year. Thank you for your comment!

Lea (YA Book Queen)  – (3 juli 2010 om 08:12)  

Definitely have to agree, this book sticks with you. When I first read it, I couldn't put the thing down! Awesome review, Nina!

Lauren  – (3 juli 2010 om 18:13)  

Great review! I read this one awhile ago (It was actually the first ARC I ever received for review) and absolutely loved it, even though I found it to be a bit disturbing at times. Also, I have to agree with you, this book definitely leaves a huge impact on you.

Cass  – (4 juli 2010 om 01:13)  

@Nina, yeah, it's a completely different issue addressed when it's something as...disturbing as eating disorders and such. I've dealt with heavy issues, (suicide) in books before, but in Wintergirls the issues felt so much heavier because of HOW the author went about portraying it, and I guess that's why the impact may be a bit stronger than some others.

I was a bit torn when evaluating it, because I loved the storyline, but the pacing was broken at times with the writing. However, the writing became right near the end, when I'd gotten used to it all.

I want to buy the book and re-read it. Maybe I will feel differently- better, about it then (I read it via e-book first time around, and I couldn't get it to work on anything other than my computer).

Nina  – (4 juli 2010 om 05:15)  

Cass: I don't know how to feel about e-books, I read a couple of them and they where great. But it didn't had that feeling of the book, I mean I have to sit at my desk and read, not that comfortable for an hour or so. So maybe when you buy it and read it again you may feel different about it.

The writing made me go wow. It was so real and a lot of readers described it as lyrical. I have to say that I agree with them. It flowed very welll. You are right about the pace, somethimes it did break.

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP