The Mermaids Mirror by L.K. Madigan

Title: The Mermaid’s Mirror
Written by: L.K. Madigan
Release date: October, 2010
Pages: 336
Source: Netgalley, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

My Feelings:


Description:
Lena has lived her whole life near the beach—walking for miles up and down the shore and breathing the salty air, swimming in the cold water, and watching the surfers rule the waves—the problem is, she’s spent her whole life just watching.
As her sixteenth birthday approaches, Lena vows she will no longer watch from the sand: she will learn to surf.
But her father – a former surfer himself – refuses to allow her to take lessons. After a near drowning in his past, he can’t bear to let Lena take up the risky sport.

Yet something lures Lena to the water … an ancient, powerful magic. One morning Lena catches sight of this magic: a beautiful woman—with a silvery tail.
Nothing will keep Lena from seeking the mermaid, not even the dangerous waves at Magic Crescent Cove.

And soon … what she sees in the mermaid’s mirror will change her life …

My Review:
The Mermaid’s Mirror has a beautiful soothing cover that makes you want to pack your running gear and take a jog at the beach. It’s the main reason why I picked this one up. But even with the beautiful cover, it didn’t do much for me.

I didn’t like Lena’s character. Lena was selfish. Her father tells her time and time again she is not allowed to surf, she betrays their trust and surfs behind their back.
I also didn’t find her particularly nice to anyone, well except to her little brother.

The pace is very slow and it didn’t pick up until the last third of the book. From there on we get introduced to the mermaids and it begins to get interesting, but just not enough. The romance element starts to easily and is not that well developed.
The mermaids element is also too short for my liking. I loved to have read more about the world of the mermaids.

The decisions that Lena has to make are difficult and I could understand her struggle to choose the right one. Unfortunately the writing did not get my attention and for me the story just missed some sparks.

Jillian  – (23 augustus 2010 om 03:17)  

Hmm.. might have to skip this one. I've been reading a couple of not-so-good reviews about it, so you're another who agrees with it! Great and fair review, thanks!

Darlyn  – (23 augustus 2010 om 03:46)  

Hm..It's really a let down to now it doesn't get your attention very mush. I like to read something magical but maybe I'll past. But maybe I'll take a chance to read and see how it goes.Thanks for honest review!

mummazappa  – (23 augustus 2010 om 04:17)  

i didn't mind this one, i thought the mermaid section was not as good as the first part, but otherwise it was ok. i'm hoping there's a sequel!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (23 augustus 2010 om 04:42)  

oooo I agree. I tried this one and couldn't finish it.

....Petty Witter  – (23 augustus 2010 om 05:58)  

Sorry that you didn't enjoy this one, you were right about the cover being so beautiful shame that the book disappointed.

Christina/Book Addict  – (23 augustus 2010 om 07:37)  

I have been reading some mixed reviews about this book, which stinks b/c the premise sounds great, but I think I am going to skip this one. I'm sorry it wasn't as good as you had hoped! Thanks for the honest review.

Sarah  – (23 augustus 2010 om 07:51)  

I'm sorry to hear this one isn't so great...I heard about it last week and thought it sounded interesting. Thanks for the review--I'll wait for this one to hit the library. (I'm almost done reading a book called Flash Burnout by the same author, though, and it's pretty awesome.)

Blodeuedd  – (23 augustus 2010 om 08:38)  

Nice honest review, and I don't think I'd like Lena either

Nina  – (23 augustus 2010 om 10:15)  

mummazappa: I don't know if there's a sequal, but if there is I don't think I will read it.

Sarah: I have not heard of Burnout, but I'm glad to hear that it's great! :)

Melissa  – (23 augustus 2010 om 11:27)  

This one sounds beautiful...love your review :)

Melissa  – (23 augustus 2010 om 12:03)  

Aw... I was hoping for at least lots of mermaids. I was thinking about reading this one, but I may pass for now. Thanks for your honest review!

Andrea  – (23 augustus 2010 om 12:39)  

Hmmm...not sure if I would like it. Nice review though.

Kris (Voracious YAppetite)  – (23 augustus 2010 om 13:33)  

Thanks for the review! I wasn't aware that the mermaids only factored into the last part of the book. That's kinda disappointing.

Faye  – (23 augustus 2010 om 13:47)  

this one looks really interesting! glad u enjoyed it!

vvb32 reads  – (23 augustus 2010 om 14:48)  

hmmm, wonder how i'll like this one. i just got it.
btw: you've been awarded ;-D
http://vvb32reads.blogspot.com/2010/08/bodacious-blog-award.html

Natalie (Mindful Musings)  – (23 augustus 2010 om 16:38)  

I got this one through Netgalley, and it's sitting on my e-reader at the moment. I was wondering how it would be, but it sounds like it fell a bit flat. I'm still planning on giving it a shot, but my expectations won't be as high, so maybe I'll enjoy it more that way? Lol. Thanks for the review! :D

Jenny N.  – (23 augustus 2010 om 17:02)  

I was thinking of requesting this one from Netgalley. It doenst sound like I would enjoy it and with my review pile so full I shouldnt be getting more books anyways.

Jessica (BookLover)  – (23 augustus 2010 om 19:29)  

The cover really is beautiful and inviting! Too bad the story couldn't live up to it. Thanks for your honest review. :)

Nina  – (24 augustus 2010 om 01:31)  

Faye: I kind of did not! ;) Lol.

Shy  – (24 augustus 2010 om 03:51)  

Your review on this one really caught my interest since every single reviews I've read on this book were positive ones. I think I'd have a problem with the book too if the MC appears to be selfish and inconsiderate. And the plotline that is too simple can also make me feel detach from the book too. this is the first time I came across a book about mermaid, but it is sad to see that it didn't live up to expectation.

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP