Candor by Pam Bachorz

Title: Candor
Written by: Pam Bachorz
Release date: September, 2009
Pages: 256
Source: Received for Review, Egmont Books

My Feelings:


Description:
Oscar Banks has everything under control. In a town where his father brainwashes everyone, he's found a way to secretly fight the subliminal Messages. He's got them
all fooled: Oscar's the top student and the best-behaved teen in town. Nobody knows he's made his own Messages to deprogram his brain. Oscar has even found a way to
get rich. For a hefty price, he helps new kids escape Candor, Florida before they're transformed into cookie-cutter teens. But then Nia Silva moves to Candor,
and Oscar's carefully-controlled world crumbles.

My Review:
Candor reminded me of the movie Stepford wives. A rich suburb where the men have perfect housewives and perfect lives, but they all have one terrible secret. The difference with Candor is that the town does not have perfect housewives, but perfect children.

Oscar was a fine character and I could not imagine how hard it must be to keep such a secret from the one person you love the most. I thought he handled the situations that came on his path very well. The thing I did not like about him, was that he waited too long to tell the girl he loved about the secret. I believed he should have told her about the secret right away.

Even though Oscar was a fine character, there could have been more character development. Nia was lacking some depth and therefore I could not see what was so likeable about her. She was too dark for my taste and very distance. I also could not feel the love and the connection between Oscar and Nia. Falling in love is one thing, but saying you love the girl was a little bit too fast.

The pacing of the story is slow and the suspense builds up very nice. You keep wondering if Oscar is going to tell her soon and if they are going to escape. The plot of the story was nice, it could have been better with more action scenes. But I did found it very unique!

I did not enjoyed the ending of Candor. And not because it was bad or anything like that, but just because I had something different in my mind.

Overall I really enjoyed reading Candor and I do hope there is going to be a sequal.
Loved Stepford wives? You should get a copy! It's out now.

Michelle  – (24 september 2010 om 07:06)  

This sounds like a great read. And I love that cover a lot. :)

Blodeuedd  – (24 september 2010 om 12:13)  

This cover, icky and cool :)
Sounds like a good book, I liked that Stepford wives thing

Melissa  – (24 september 2010 om 12:29)  

For the Stepford wives type plot... the cover is perfect!! :) Glad you did enjoy it even if the ending was lack.

Kelsey  – (24 september 2010 om 17:49)  

I really loved this book and it definitely reminded me of the Stepford Wives! Great review :)

Faye  – (24 september 2010 om 19:59)  

<33 this book. I'm w/ u *wishing for a sequel*

Jenny N.  – (24 september 2010 om 22:14)  

Might have to pick this up one day as I liked the Stepford Wives. Also I like this cover more than the orginal one.

Darlyn  – (25 september 2010 om 09:52)  

Interesting cover. I should pick up this one too ;0

Melissa  – (25 september 2010 om 12:22)  

Oh, brilliant review! How have I never heard of this one before? It sounds so good, and I love me some creeptastic Stepford! :D

Jane  – (25 september 2010 om 14:19)  

If I ever had a copy of this book in my hands, I wouldn't be able to read it without either taking the cover off (hardcover) or covering it with a post-it if it was paperback. I just hate bees that much.

However, it sounds like an interesting read :)

Jane
janestoryblog.blogspot.com

Bibliophile By the Sea  – (25 september 2010 om 17:17)  

Never heard of this one, so I am happy you posted your review. Thank you

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (26 september 2010 om 17:45)  

Cool review. I must admit, you've intrigued me. :)

chelleyreads  – (27 september 2010 om 01:00)  

sounds interesting. i've seen the stepford wives movie with nicole kidman and i didn't like the movie but i did like the plot. i might pick this up given the chance. thanks for the review :)

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP