Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler

Title: Hunger
Written by: Jackie Morse Kessler
Release date: October, 2010
Pages: 180
Source: Netgalley, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

My Feelings:


Description:
“Thou art the Black Rider. Go thee out unto the world.”

Lisabeth Lewis has a black steed, a set of scales, and a new job: she’s been appointed Famine. How will an anorexic seventeen-year-old girl from the suburbs fare as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?

Traveling the world on her steed gives Lisa freedom from her troubles at home: her constant battle with hunger, and her struggle to hide it from the people who care about her. But being Famine forces her to go places where hunger is a painful part of everyday life, and to face the horrifying effects of her phenomenal power. Can Lisa find a way to harness that power — and the courage to battle her own inner demons?

My Review:
The description of Hunger stood out for me and made me wonder how a 17 year old girl with anorexia can be Famine. It also made me think about the illness she has and how she is coping with that. I’m glad I requested it trough Net galley, because it was well worth it.

Lisabeth Lewis is a 17 year old girl who does not want to admit she has an illness.
She could also not believe that she was Famine and that Death itself gave her a visit.
When the story progresses Lisa starts to learn that she can do much more with the power that she got trough Death and feels stronger every minute.

One thing in the story that I could not understand was that the father did not see Lisa’s struggle with food. Her friends where the one who saw it and confronted Lisa with it. How could her father not see this? But on the other hand maybe Lisa was very clever with hiding her illness, after all I have read this before.

Death was also a great character in this book. With his comments he made the story light and easy to go trough.

The parts where Lisa where Famine where too short for my liking. The fantasy part was not all there and I would have liked to see more of it. Also I would have loved to read a description of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Even though I know what it means, a lot of younger readers will not.

I really liked the ending and the powerful message in it.

Hunger tells us the struggle with food trough the eyes of Lisa and how she deals with it on an every day basis. It’s a powerful read that will open your eyes to the signs of a person that has anorexia.

Lea (YA Book Queen)  – (20 september 2010 om 05:33)  

This one sounds intriguing, and I'm glad to hear that the message was powerful. Wonderful review :)

Lady Q  – (20 september 2010 om 06:37)  

This one's on my list. I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for the review and thanks for visiting my blog! Happy reading!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog  – (20 september 2010 om 06:47)  

this sounds sooo interesting. thank you for the review!

Melissa  – (20 september 2010 om 07:06)  

This book was amazing, in my opinion. As one who suffered from anorexia and bulimia for years, I can say that it's very easy for parents to fool themselves into thinking that their child is fine and overlook the issues of food. A lot of people though the anorexia story line was disgusting - I liked how original and fresh it was.

Great review, Nina! :)

Ladybug  – (20 september 2010 om 07:28)  

I really enjoyed your review, Nina, but I'm not sure if Hunger is a book for me.

Sarah  – (20 september 2010 om 08:30)  

I remember seeing this cover around the blogosphere but never knew what the story is about. And the story line definitely stands out! I like that this book seems to deal with real like issues that people face. Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the review! :)

Blodeuedd  – (20 september 2010 om 08:51)  

A young girl as famine, original, I'd like to try it cos of that.

Nice review!

anjohnston  – (20 september 2010 om 12:52)  

This book looks so great. Thanks for the review. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I think I'll like Death a lot too.

Lauren  – (20 september 2010 om 13:29)  

I love this premise, and from your review it sounds like it's executed pretty well if not quite perfectly! I'll look out for this one.

Justine  – (20 september 2010 om 14:35)  

Ooh, I may have to try this. It sounds interesting and I like the take on anorexia. Fantastic review :)

Melissa  – (20 september 2010 om 15:16)  

I've been considering this book. I'm glad you read it and gave a review. I think it is an interesting concept as an anorexic girl as famine. Very interesting.

Jenny N.  – (20 september 2010 om 18:57)  

I've seen this one on Netgalley but I keep passing it up because the story sounds too dark for me.

....Petty Witter  – (21 september 2010 om 05:09)  

I've only recently began to read this genre and I have to say I'm enjoying most of the books. Thanks for recommending this, I have to add it to my wish list.

Lily Child  – (22 september 2010 om 03:35)  

Ooooh! Sounds interesting! Great review! ;)

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (22 september 2010 om 13:26)  

I tried this one but I couldn't get over her obsession with food. FAB review :)

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP