Wildthorn by Jane Eagland

Title: Wildthorn
Written by: Jane Eagland
Release date: March, 2009
Pages: 359
Source: Bought

My Feelings:


Description:
Seventeen-year-old Louisa Cosgrove longs to break free from her respectable life as a Victorian doctor's daughter. But her dreams become a nightmare when Louisa is sent to Wildthorn Hall: labeled a lunatic, deprived of her liberty and even her real name. As she unravels the betrayals that led to her incarceration, she realizes there are many kinds of prison. She must be honest with herself - and others - in order to be set free. And love may be the key.

My Review:
Wildthorn was a great historical novel that left me thinking of a life in the Victorian era.

Louisa Cosgrove is a believable and realistic character. From the start I really liked her and that continued trough the story. She never gave up on her dream and despite family members telling her she could not she still hung on that woman could be doctors. She was also naïve. Her brother treated her like an enemy and still she confided in him. But one thing that stood out the most was her strength. Even in the hard times at Wildthorn Hall she never truly gave up on the hope that she would get out of there, a true fighter.

The other characters in this book are also really great. Especially Eliza. Eliza was very determined and sweet. She was a great friend to Louisa at Wildthorn and helped her as much as possible.

Each chapter begins with the present time in the 1800 and then switches back to a memory Louisa is having of her childhood. In those memories we get to know her family and the way she was brought up. I thought this was a great way to find actually out who possibly could be the person who put her at Wildthorn. It had me turning pages rapidly and blaming everyone I thought it could be.

Jane Eagland is a fantastic writer. Her descriptions of London are so in details described that it’s not hard actually to think you are there. She has done a great job researching life in the Victorian era and especially woman in that period. From what I know about it, it is spot on.

”Buy it, borrow it, steal it but just make sure you read it.” Wildthorn is a wonderful novel about a young girl who has to deal with the consequences of not being the perfect woman in the 1800s.

(On a personal note) At college we learn a lot about the 1800’s, but it’s mostly about little children who where put to work at factories. We never spoken about the woman in this time. I already have made a list of books that I want to read about woman in the Victorian era and I defiantly will use some of it in my intern classes. Thank you Jane Eagland for getting me excited in the Victorian era again!

Lea (YA Book Queen)  – (6 september 2010 om 11:22)  

This one sounds wonderful! I'll definitely have to look out for it. Wonderful review :)

Lauren  – (6 september 2010 om 11:45)  

Excellent review! I recently read this one too and I loved it. I especially like your last paragraph. I think there's so much of daily life for women in that era that we never really learn about at school or uni, unless we seek the information out. It's a big part of what made Wildthorn so fascinating for me too.

Blodeuedd  – (6 september 2010 om 12:05)  

Sounds great, and yes you're so right. We learnt about those kids, but what about the women

Melissa  – (6 september 2010 om 12:53)  

I enjoyed this book as well. I liked the twists on who she could trust as well. Great review. :)

anjohnston  – (6 september 2010 om 13:02)  

Great review! This is a book I want to read really badly so I'm glad to read you liked it. Thanks!

Melissa  – (6 september 2010 om 13:59)  

Brilliant review! I love how descriptive this sounds :)

Kris (Voracious YAppetite)  – (6 september 2010 om 14:33)  

I tried to read this book a few months ago via NetGalley but it hurt my eyes too much. Now I have it on hold at the library. Glad to hear you liked it and that it renewed your interest in the time period!

brizmus  – (6 september 2010 om 16:09)  

I always enjoy books about women in the Victorian era. This one sounds lovely. I hope that the time is portrayed as it really was - I am super curious to read this now. Thanks for the review!

Jenny N.  – (6 september 2010 om 18:26)  

I read this one recently too and was suprised by how good it was.

....Petty Witter  – (7 september 2010 om 02:21)  

Sorry but I found myself unable to concentrate on anything other than how tight that corset was - ouch. Seriously, a good review, I love historicals.

Lenore  – (7 september 2010 om 07:49)  

I've seen this compared to Sarah Water's FINGERSMITH, and I adored that one!

Sarah  – (7 september 2010 om 08:09)  

Thanks for the recommendation! The Victorian era is my favorite in both history and literature, and I've spent a lot of time with it in college. Liza Picard's Victorian London has a lot of great information about everyday life--including life for women--in Victorian London. In case you're ever looking for some fun nonfiction :)

Lily Child  – (8 september 2010 om 01:55)  

Sounds like a really interesting read! Great review! I'll definitely be picking this up in the future! :)

Ladybug  – (10 september 2010 om 03:51)  

I've read this one too and I loved it. Louisa is my kind of girl, she stands up for her dreams and what she belives in.

Great review, Nina!

Kris: I've gotten my copy through Netgalley but I downloaded it to my Kindle no eye problems with that but it is much different from reading directly from a computer screen.

Chris  – (13 september 2010 om 08:09)  

Love that cover! I thought of picking this one up, I think I'll keep it on my list of must haves.

Een reactie posten

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP