Butterflies in May by Karen Hart

Title: Butterflies in May
Written by: Karen Hart
Release date: May, 2006
Pages: 201
Source: Netgalley, Bancroft Press

My Feelings:


Description:
Ali Parker, a high school senior, is in love for the first time in her seventeen-year life. Her Mr. Perfect boyfriend, Matt Ryan, is a talented artist who hopes to attend Pratt Institute in New York, and Ali plans to major in journalism at a prestigious college. Both Ali and Matt are outstanding students. Their future possibilities seem endless. Then the inconceivable happens-Ali becomes pregnant. Suddenly, her entire world shifts. Everything she was sure of changes. What should she do about this baby . . . about Matt . . . about her life? Ali is faced with the dilemma of responsibility and choice. She's supported by a fun, loyal best friend, Monica, but Ali knows that now, nothing will ever be the same again. She's abruptly and unwillingly forced into the world of adulthood as she faces the crisis of being a pregnant, unwed teenager.

My Review:
I have not read a lot of books about teen pregnancy, but enjoying watching MTV show teen mom makes me want to read about this topic more. Butterflies in May is a great story that gave me an insightful look in a young girls live who has to deal with teenage pregnancy.

Ali Parker is a 17 year old girl who had a perfect live, before she got pregnant.
She is scared, confused and she has a lot of courage. When she finds out she is pregnant she handles the situation just how I imagined I would have if I would find out I was pregnant at that age. I love that she listened to her inner voice and not to her boyfriend Matt or to her mother. She stayed strong and I loved that about her.

Matt was also a great character. Even though I did not like his actions and his decision, I did understand them. Though he could have been nicer.

I enjoyed the plot a lot. As I said it’s very insightful and it shows us the difficult choice Ali has to make. It’s serious and informative. I also liked that Ali gets help from a teacher at school and gets advice from different people with different opinions.

Butterflies in May is a wonderful story about a 17 year old girl who has to deal with the consequences of teenage pregnancy while coming of age into a young woman.

Sarah  – (2 oktober 2010 om 07:51)  

I haven't read much teen pregnancy books yet either, but it is good to hear that this one does not disappoint. I like that Ali is a strong character and does not hesitate to take responsibility for what's she's done. Thanks for the review! :)

vvb32 reads  – (2 oktober 2010 om 09:01)  

cute cover, but such a major issue that never goes away.

Marce  – (2 oktober 2010 om 09:54)  

This is new to me, I find teenage pregnancy interesting also. Have you read After, it is a dark side of pregnancy though.

Nina  – (2 oktober 2010 om 10:33)  

Marce: I have not read that book, but I am going to check it out on goodreads. Thanks for mentioning it. :)

Blodeuedd  – (2 oktober 2010 om 13:31)  

Sounds like a good book to read, and surely a book that those bookbanners would like to ban. But should be read

Melissa  – (2 oktober 2010 om 14:42)  

Sounds like an interesting book. Glad you enjoyed it. I agree with Blodeuedd, looks like a good book for banning, so it should be read!

Blueicegal ♥  – (2 oktober 2010 om 15:28)  

i love the name of the book not to mention of the cover, sounds interesting fab review girl

Shy  – (3 oktober 2010 om 00:41)  

Like you, I've also never come across anything such as this one but it surely sound like an impressive read. Sometimes one will learn a lot through other's experience (it being fiction doesn't really matter, in my opinion). Would really love to give this one a shot!

Melissa  – (3 oktober 2010 om 09:30)  

I've never heard of this one, but the subject matter is something I would for sure be interested in reading about. Great review...this sounds like one to add to my pile! :)

chelleyreads  – (3 oktober 2010 om 18:22)  

Wow, this book sounds interesting. Great review and I'll need to check this out!

-leslie:)
booksandmakeup.blogspot.com

Ladybug  – (4 oktober 2010 om 05:13)  

Great review, Nina! I'm looking forward to this one as I also have it on my Kindle.

....Petty Witter  – (4 oktober 2010 om 05:36)  

Ah first love! Thanks for the recommendation of Butterflies In May.

Nina  – (4 oktober 2010 om 09:48)  

Blodeuedd: Indeed it does sounds like a book that people would bann. Let's hope those banners don't notice this book.

Blueicegal ♥: I love the cover too, with the butterflies. It's really nice.

Darlyn  – (4 oktober 2010 om 21:55)  

It really sounds pretty interesting and an engaging read. Thanks for highlighting this!

Cleverly Inked  – (5 oktober 2010 om 07:22)  

Interesting enough, I enjoy real topics such as these. Great review

Nina  – (5 oktober 2010 om 08:52)  

Cleverly inked. If you enjoy real topics you should really try this book!

Justine  – (7 oktober 2010 om 14:57)  

Too bad this book isn't at my library. I would really like to read this book since I like reading about these kinds of topics. Great review!! :)

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP