The Forest of Hand and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Title: The Forest of Hand and Teeth
Written by: Carrie Ryan
Release date: February, 2010
Pages: 308
Source: Bought

Part of: Helluva Halloween 2010, All Hallows Eve

My Feelings:


Description:
In Mary's world there are simple truths.

The Sisterhood always knows best.
The Guardians will protect and serve.
The Unconsecrated will never relent.
And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth.

But, slowly, Mary's truths are failing her. She's learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future-between the one she loves and the one who loves her.

And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?

My Review:
Zombies don’t freak me out that much anymore. I think it has to do with the fact that I have read a couple of books with them in it and they weren’t that scary. No, in fact they where people who just wanted to be respected by the people who actually truly are living. Think of Generation Dead, Undead Much?.
It’s another story when the zombies want to eat you and are rotten bodies. Yes, those zombies freak me out. And I think “freak me out” is a understatement. A forest full of those zombies and only a fence to protect the village sounds like a nightmare, and yet a story I want to read.

The narrator of the story is Mary. And Mary is a character I admire. She is brave, strong, determined, has her mind set and she is also very curious. The characterization was there and all of the characters where described very well.

The plot is awesome. It has defiantly got the wow factor. It has all the right elements to make it scary and I can honestly tell you, it was. The story doesn’t let you go until the end and that’s what makes the story so great. Every time I thought there was a time for joy there was something to bring me down and make me sad or frighten. You can literally say that it was an emotional ride.

The setting and the description of the forest and the village is good and with my mind on the movie ‘The Village’ I had a perfect image of it.

Have you seen I AM LEGEND with the gorgeous Will Smith? Did it freak you out, just like it did to me, but you still loved it? Well if you do, then go and pick up a copy of The Forest of Hand and Teeth! You will most certainly are going to freak out and adore it at the same time.

Adriana  – (22 oktober 2010 om 09:22)  

I've been wanting to read this book for sometime now. I don't know why I haven't picked it up yet. I'll definitely have to read it. I've never read a book on zombies and this one sounds like a good book to start with.

Blodeuedd  – (22 oktober 2010 om 09:55)  

I was kind of disappointed in I am legend..does that mean I wont like thsi book?

Melissa  – (22 oktober 2010 om 10:13)  

I can't believe I've yet to read this book...I hear the most amazing things about it! Thanks for the awesome review, girl! :)

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (22 oktober 2010 om 11:26)  

I refused to see I am Legend. One simple reason... the dog. Found out what happened to the dog and I won't see it. *yes, you can laugh at me now*. I've been curious about this book. I need to read it.

Sullivan McPig  – (22 oktober 2010 om 11:47)  

Great review. I can't say I agree with you on Mary though. I didn't like her.

Kelsey  – (22 oktober 2010 om 12:53)  

Nice review! I've had this in my TBR for awhile, I'll have to read this soon :)

Jamie  – (22 oktober 2010 om 13:14)  

Ahhh! I need this book! I enjoyed I Am Legend so I'm down for this one! Sounds like a good one for the Fall!

Natalie (Mindful Musings)  – (22 oktober 2010 om 14:58)  

I'm SO glad you liked this one! I've had it on my shelf for over a year, but I haven't gotten the chance to read it yet. The premise sounds great though!

Blueicegal ♥  – (22 oktober 2010 om 16:19)  

ahhh will smith *sigh* i loved that movie so sad! and omg i think i have put of reading this simply because the things that really really creep me out are zombies, i just can't watch them read about them, just anything, but it sounds sooooo good D

Jenny N.  – (22 oktober 2010 om 23:40)  

I love this this too and remember that it was my first ever zombie read.

Darlyn  – (23 oktober 2010 om 00:31)  

i really need to start the series very soon. it's intriguing to read about zombies!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (23 oktober 2010 om 06:26)  

O great review. I've been unsure about this one 'cause I'm a huge chicken.

Jenny  – (23 oktober 2010 om 12:31)  

I hear such great things about this book, I need to get reading! I enjoy a strong heroine and it sounds like Mary is someone to whom it's easy to relate. I'm not a huge zombie fan either, but I'd like to give this one a try:) Thanks for this review!

vvb32 reads  – (24 oktober 2010 om 09:47)  

glad to hear you're not freaked with the zombies. there certainly are different kinds to read. don't know why, but i love the campy ones.

chelleyreads  – (24 oktober 2010 om 11:04)  

never seen i am legend but i like being freaked out. definitely will pick up this one soon! thanks for the review :)

....Petty Witter  – (25 oktober 2010 om 05:54)  

How have I managed to miss this halloween event? As if the button on your side bar isn't big enough to see. Have you read the book I Am Legend on which the film is based? It's even better than the film.

Nina  – (25 oktober 2010 om 08:18)  

Blodeuedd: No that doesn't mean that at all. But the suspense that you feel in the beginning of the movie comes forward in the book! :) (The part where Will is al alone, well with the dog..anyway)

Petty Witter: I dont know! It's pretty out there! lol! I didn't know there was a book of I am Legend, OHM! Only watched the movie, but thanx for telling me!

Misty  – (25 oktober 2010 om 18:59)  

I adore this book. I know a lot of people didn't like it or Mary, but other than a few issues, I thought it was damn well done. And it stuck with me for a long time, too.

Lily Child  – (29 oktober 2010 om 16:10)  

I remember enjoying this one, but also feeling a bit frustrated by the main character, Mary. I highly recommend the follow-up The Dead Tossed Waves. It fills in the gaps left over from Hands and Teeth and continues on the story in a new setting. :)

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP