Alchemy and Meggy Swann by Karen Cushman

Title: Alchemy and Meggy Swann
Written by: Karen Cushman
Release date: April, 2010
Pages: 176
Source: Netgalley, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

My Feelings:


Description:
Fans of Karen Cushman's witty, satisfying novels will welcome Meggy Swann, newly come to London with her only friend, a goose named Louise. Meggy's mother was glad to be rid of her; her father, who sent for her, doesn't want her after all. Meggy is appalled by London, dirty and noisy, full of rogues and thieves, and difficult to get around in—not that getting around is ever easy for someone who walks with the help of two sticks. Just as her alchemist father pursues his Great Work of transforming base metal into gold, Meggy finds herself pursuing her own transformation. Earthy and colorful, Elizabethan London has its dark side, but it also has gifts in store for Meggy Swann.

My Review:
As a history student I love reading historical fiction, so when I saw this book at netgalley I requested to read and review it.

Meggy is a young girl who is very bitter and very annoying at times. Growing up in a world where they treat everyone with a disability like monsters, you had to be strong to achieve the things you wanted in life. I did understand why she made ‘rude’ comments and was bitter, but I still felt a distance between her and me.

The description of the area, the city and the people are really good. And I did like the language the characters used in the story. I believe that for younger teens this is way too difficult and they could have a hard time getting trough the story.

Alchemy and Meggy Swann is a story about a girl who learns that living in the city is not always as it seems. Fans of historical fiction and middle grade reads will enjoy Alchemy and Meggy Swann.

Blodeuedd  – (21 november 2010 om 09:21)  

It sounds like a good book, but still, I mean if you felt distance towards her, not something I wanna do

Melissa  – (21 november 2010 om 09:23)  

I've never heard of this and the cover wouldn't usually appeal to me, but I love the sound of it! Great review :)

ComaCalm  – (21 november 2010 om 10:23)  

I read and reviewed this. It was good but not brilliant... I also got this from NetGalley! xD

Kelsey  – (21 november 2010 om 10:26)  

Sorry you didn't enjoy this more. I do love historical fiction though!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (21 november 2010 om 13:41)  

This sounds quite good :) I must look into it.

I like ComaCalm's comment "good but not brilliant"

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (21 november 2010 om 15:21)  

At least it was interesting. Hope the next historical fiction rocks your socks off. :)

Blueicegal ♥  – (21 november 2010 om 17:01)  

Hey Nina! perhaps not my type of book great review though :)

Tina (Book Couture)  – (22 november 2010 om 21:46)  

Hey! I just stumbled onto your amazing blog, and I'm definitely following for more reviews. Thanks for this review, I'm gonna add the books to my wishlist.
Anyway, I love your posts, and your awesome blog layout!

Happy reading,
Tina @ Book Couture

Jenny  – (23 november 2010 om 07:12)  

I haven't heard of this one and even though I don't read much historical fiction, I do love the Elizabethan time period. Too Bad Meggy is a bit irritating at times, that's always frustrating when a character makes it difficult to connect to them. Nice honest review!

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP