Gone by Michael Grant

Title: Gone
Written by: Michael Grant
Release date: July, 2008
Pages: 558
Source: Borrowed

My Feelings:


Description:
In the blink of an eye. Everyone disappears. GONE.
Except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not one single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened.
Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.
It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen, a fight is shaping up. Townies against rich kids. Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless. And time is running out: On your birthday, you disappear just like everyone else...

My Review:
Have you ever started a book without any intention of liking it and then totally falling in love with it. After finishing Gone in two days I felled relieved that I also borrowed the second book, Hunger, at the library. Now I only need to do is go back to bed and start reading. I can truly say this book is awesome, Michael Grant you just earned a place in my top ten of favourite authors.

The story is told trough different characters. And to tell you all about them would make this review a very long one. So I will focus on only two of them, Sam and Caine.
Sam is a great character. He is brave, honest and very forgiving. Caine on the other hand is the evil reincarnated, he is selfish, strong and vengeful. Both of the boys have special powers that makes them more powerful than the rest of the children. I liked both of the characters a lot and especially the relationship Sam has with Astrid. It felt real and very sweet.

Also I liked that some of the children got different powers. And these powers play a big role in the story! It reminded me a lot of the X-men, which I enjoyed when I was younger.

The story is suspenseful, action filled and intense. The mystery about the disappearing of the adults will keep you turning pages at a extreme fast paste.

Gone is very well written and flows easily. The writing style was excellent and Michael Grant has written an unique story with a lot of twists. There was always a surprise in for me and I love that about the story.

Gone is a story you must read! It’s a excellent first book in this series and a unforgettable one it is. Read it, you won’t be sorry!

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (4 november 2010 om 11:18)  

Oh man... I think I kept thinking this was something else so I kept passing on it. Yep, it does sound good. On to make my wishlist even larger! :)

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (4 november 2010 om 11:45)  

Ooooo dystopian does that to me. I really must try this series asap.

Ava  – (4 november 2010 om 12:32)  

I loved the characters in this book! I have yet to read Hunger, though I know I really should. :)

Blodeuedd  – (4 november 2010 om 13:23)  

Why would tv be gone...weird, oh and look what you did, now I wanna know ;)

Jenny N.  – (4 november 2010 om 21:33)  

Great reivew! I've been meaning to start this series. I do have the first book and its pretty thick so will probably take me a week just to read it.

mummazappa  – (4 november 2010 om 21:58)  

I've got this and the second book on my TBR shelf, but haven't got around to picking them up yet, I will soon though! Glad to hear it's a good one.

miss cindy :)  – (4 november 2010 om 23:15)  

I've heard good things only about this, but I have yet to get myself a copy! I will soon though :) Great review!

Ladybug  – (5 november 2010 om 05:59)  

So I should probably dust it and pick my copy off from my shelf then? Great review, Nina!

....Petty Witter  – (5 november 2010 om 06:29)  

I like the sound of this even if I hate the cover, thanks for the recommendation.

The Norwegian BookGirl  – (7 november 2010 om 04:49)  

I agree with you: Gone is a great book. It kinda reminded me of Stephen King's books ( which I love).

Nina  – (7 november 2010 om 08:07)  

Jenny: Yep, it's pretty thick, but it's worth it. :)

Ladybug: YES! Please do, you won't regret it.

The Norwegian BookGirl: I never tried a Stephen King's book before, but if it reminded you of it, I may even try one. :)

Lily Child  – (10 november 2010 om 01:26)  

I've always wondered what this book was about. I've seen it many of times at the bookstore. GREAT review! :)

Sarah  – (26 november 2010 om 11:35)  

Hi, Nina! I read the review of Hunger and then followed your link to this review. I'm happy to hear you like these books--I seem them go in and out of the library a lot, which means they must be good, but I've never tried them. Thanks for the reviews! (And it's interesting that the other one mentions living on chocolate...that would probably get old after awhile, but that first day? Probably pretty fantastic :) )

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP