I Kissed a Zombie and I liked it by Adam Selzer

Title: I Kissed a Zombie and I liked it
Written by: Adam Selzer
Release date: January, 2010
Pages: 117
Source: Bought

My Feelings:


Description:
Algonquin “Alley” Rhodes, the high school newspaper’s music critic, meets an intriguing singer, Doug, while reviewing a gig. He’s a weird-looking guy—goth, but he seems sincere about it, like maybe he was into it back before it was cool. She introduces herself after the set, asking if he lives in Cornersville, and he replies, in his slow, quiet murmur, “Well, I don’t really live there, exactly. . . .”

When Alley and Doug start dating, Alley is falling so hard she doesn’t notice a few odd signs: he never changes clothes, his head is a funny shape, and he says practically nothing out loud. Finally Marie, the school paper’s fashion editor, points out the obvious: Doug isn’t just a really sincere goth. He’s a zombie. Horrified that her feelings could have allowed her to overlook such a flaw, Alley breaks up with Doug, but learns that zombies are awfully hard to get rid of—at the same time she learns that vampires, a group as tightly-knit as the mafia, don’t think much of music critics who make fun of vampires in reviews

My Review:
I saw this book at the bookstore and the cover made me flinch. Ooh, kissing a zombie, that got to be disgusting. I have no idea why a girl would want to kiss, well face it, a death corpse. But hey, there must be differences in the world.

Alley is not a girl I would be friends with. She’s too sarcastic, rude and just too hard on boys. I could not see how after one date she could be head over heels with a guy, who she thinks wears grey make up, smells bad and doesn’t talk a lot. It was unbelievable to think that she was so madly in love that she could not see he was a zombie. Just too obvious.

So the romance in this story was off. I could not feel the connection between them and I could not believe that she could fall in love with someone like that. Call me judgemental!

The plot of the story was okay. There could have been more telling about the zombies and vampires, but in 117 pages it was done nicely. There was a action scene. Yes, one! It didn’t last long, but the author did put one in. So a bonus point. The ending disappointed me, but Alley did finally grew up in a good way.

The writing is easy and it flows all well together. There where some funny moments and that made me laugh, but nothing quite spectacular. I kissed a Zombie and I liked it is a quick, light read about a girl with a crush on a zombie. Get it if you need some time to kill.

Melissa  – (29 november 2010 om 09:34)  

Great balanced and honest review, Nina! I'm not really into the whole zombie thing either...I can't fathom thinking a dead guy is hot...but that's just me ;)

YA Vampire Books  – (29 november 2010 om 09:55)  

Great review Nina! It was fun to read :P

Sheila (Bookjourney)  – (29 november 2010 om 10:01)  

Interesting review of a book I knew nothing about! :)

miss cindy :)  – (29 november 2010 om 10:02)  

I really want to read this, it sounds like something I would enjoy! Great, honest review :)

Blodeuedd  – (29 november 2010 om 10:33)  

Lo, that cover, ugh! No why would you go and kiss a zombie, bleh!
Nice honest review

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (29 november 2010 om 11:44)  

I didn't really want to read this one because of the title and cover. Looks like I was right. I think it could have been funny, but you would really have to change what a zombie is like! Great review.

Adriana  – (29 november 2010 om 11:49)  

Blah... that's so yucky and really necro status right there! This book does seem like a good quick read though. I can't really picture a zombie as a romantic interest at all, so it sounds like a pretty unique book. Thanks for the honest review. :D

Luisa  – (29 november 2010 om 21:44)  

All of you guys are missing the point. This book is poking fun at the YA Paranormal Romance trend by pairing the girl with a supernatural creatures that's the opposite of sexy.

Great review! I liked this one a lot when I read it, but the love has waned after a few months.

....Petty Witter  – (30 november 2010 om 07:02)  

kissing a zombie? urgh, I can smell the bad breath from here. Seriously though, why are we shocked when we have become so used to the idea of kissing werewolves (basically big dogs) and vampires (the dead)? Sounds like a fun read but what a lame title.

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP