Should We Drown in Feathered Sleep by Michael Merriam

Title: Should We Drown in Feathered Sleep
Written by: Michael Merriam
Release date: November, 2010
Pages: 48
Source: Netgalley, Carina Press

My Feelings:


Description:
A new world is emerging years after war destroyed society. In a Minnesota lake, the last surviving loons, direct descendants of the legendary First Pair, await the one who can help heal the earth. Each year a human sacrifice is brought to them to be endowed with special gifts, but they come at a terrible price.
Even as the rest of the world rebuilds, Grace Kriske’s life is shattered. Unable to walk, she feels utterly dependent on her family and trapped in a community that disapproves of her rebellious ways. Grace’s only solace is her lover, David Tvedt, a trader who wants to take her away with him if she’d let him.
Yet something else calls to Grace the loons. They haunt her dreams, lurking in her mind as if part of her deepest primal self. But when Grace is chosen as the new sacrifice, she’s afraid. Will she risk everything to help the community that shuns her, or will she choose her own path?

My Review:
Looking at that cover, I immediately thought the main character of this book was going to be one tough cookie. A girl with a dark past and certainly no wimp.

And Grace certainly is not a wimp. She wants to take care of her own and not rely on others. She also has a big wall around her and do not let a lot of people in, especially her love David. I would have liked to see more character development. Her past was short and I never got the details about the accident she was in. I wanted to connect with the character, but couldn’t because I didn’t know a lot about her.

The plot is short. It certainly is there, but when it’s about to start it stops also. This story could have been fabulous and very entertaining if it was longer than 48 pages. There was not a lot of descriptions of the loons and why they where in the lake the first place. Something was missing in the story and therefore it didn’t feel complete.

Should We Drown in Feathered Sleep is a short story that could have been awesome if there was more depth and more pages.

Jenny  – (12 november 2010 om 06:49)  

Hm. 48 pages really doesn't give you a lot of time to connect to the characters or story, but I do like a strong heroine which it sounds like Grace is! The cover is really interesting though, it would make me want to pick it up:) Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one!

miss cindy :)  – (12 november 2010 om 09:35)  

48 pages?? Hmm...I'm not a fan of short stories.

Great review :)

Blodeuedd  – (12 november 2010 om 11:44)  

Dystopian? Cos it sounds cool, and what a title

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (12 november 2010 om 12:22)  

Aww... too bad. It sounds like it really does have great potential or would have. Wish it was better for you. I might pass on this one.

Natalie (Mindful Musings)  – (12 november 2010 om 22:24)  

Huh. I saw this one, but I had no idea it was so short. I might look up the author and see what else he's got out.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Jenny N.  – (12 november 2010 om 23:40)  

Thats what I thought too when I saw it was so short. And I like the colors and details in the cover.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (13 november 2010 om 09:05)  

Ooooo sounds good!

I want it!

Question: Does it have sex or cursing?

Becky  – (14 november 2010 om 05:45)  

I have to say that I am not a fan of short stories and the reason is that I like to follow a character on a really long journey of development. This one does sound interesting but it isn't for me. Thanks for sharing.

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP