Like Clockwork by Bonnie Dee

Title: Like Clockwork
Written by: Bonnie Dee
Release date: November, 2010
Pages: 137
Source: Netgalley, Carina Press

My Feelings:


Description:
Victoria's work with automatons has gained her renown and changed the face of London. But her concern that the clockworks are taking too many jobs away from humans, creating social unrest, is ignored. Given the ugly mood of the underclass, she fears more outbreaks of violence similar to the murder spree of the notorious Southwark Slasher.
Dash, unemployed thanks to the clockworks, has pledged fealty to The Brotherhood, a group determined to bring about the downfall of the automatons by any means necessary. His plan to kidnap Victoria goes awry when the unorthodox scientist pledges her assistance to their cause.
Despite their opposite social classes, a bond grows between them, and Victoria begins to feel emotions she never expected for the passionate Dash. But when the Slasher strikes close to home, Dash and Victoria realize that the boundaries of polite society are far from the only threat to their happiness...

My Review:
I want more! Bonnie Dee, please write more steampunk novella’s.

Victoria is a 28 year old woman who is strong, feisty and very smart. Living in the Victorian Era as an intelligent woman who wants to change the world is very though, but she stands her ground.

The other main character is Dash. He has grown up on the streets of London, is intelligent and stands up for the workers who lost their jobs because of the robots.
I like this character a lot and love to know more about him and his troubled past.

With 137 pages the plot is really good. It is as almost if there are two plots. One with the mystery of the murders and one of the robots. There is suspense and a bit of action.

The ending left me a bit unsatisfied. It skips a few months and then there is a graphic scene that for me should not have been there. It felt like the ending was rushed and therefore it didn’t fit completely with the rest of the story.

Even tough the ending didn’t do it for me, Like Clockwork is still a enjoyable read. And I hope that Bonnie Dee will write some more steampunk novels.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (20 december 2010 om 08:47)  

This sounds really good. I am SO off to pick this up :)

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog  – (20 december 2010 om 09:32)  

oooh, i love steampunk! i'm glad to hear this one is great!

Melissa  – (20 december 2010 om 11:54)  

Steampunk is fast-becoming a favourite of mine, and I just LOVE the sound of this one! I'm adding it to my goodreads list right now. Great review, Nina! :)

Sabrina @ about happy books  – (20 december 2010 om 11:58)  

Sounds good. I like steampunk novels and this novella sounds worth reading.

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (20 december 2010 om 12:27)  

I just got this one at the publisher's site. Thanks for the review. Looks like I'll be enjoying it. Thanks!

Blodeuedd  – (20 december 2010 om 13:05)  

I do like steampunk, but got a bit worried about that ending, i do hate bad endings

Kelsey  – (20 december 2010 om 15:00)  

Sounds awesome, great review :) Steampunk FTW!

Jenny N.  – (20 december 2010 om 18:02)  

I've read a couple steampunk books and liked them all so might try this one too.

vvb32 reads  – (21 december 2010 om 10:17)  

yay - glad you liked it. love bonnie's stuff too!

YA Vampire Books  – (22 december 2010 om 14:06)  

Sounds interesting! I haven't read much steampunk, but I have really liked the books I have read!

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP