Shadowed Summer by Saundra Mitchell

Title: Shadowed Summer
Written by: Saundra Mitchell
Release date: February, 2009
Pages: 192
Source: Bought

My Feelings:


Description:
Iris is ready for another hot, routine summer in her small Louisiana town, hanging around the Red Stripe grocery with her best friend, Collette, and traipsing through the cemetery telling each other spooky stories and pretending to cast spells. Except this summer, Iris doesn’t have to make up a story. This summer, one falls right in her lap.

Years ago, before Iris was born, a local boy named Elijah Landry disappeared. All that remained of him were whispers and hushed gossip in the church pews. Until this summer. A ghost begins to haunt Iris, and she’s certain it’s the ghost of Elijah. What really happened to him? And why, of all people, has he chosen Iris to come back to?

My Review:
Shadowed Summer is such a short story that I read it a few hours.
Iris is a young girl who takes action, makes the wrong decisions and at times isn’t very responsible. I thought the characters where okay, nothing special about them. I didn’t get a connection with Iris or the others. I still enjoyed reading about them, but I know that if the story lacked I could easily put it aside for days.

The description of the surroundings, the town was very nice. I could picture me there and being totally bored. Also I could feel the desire of Iris to do something in the summer and that there was a possibility she made everything up.

The plot got me questioning. I liked it a lot. At first I wondered if she made everything up, then I thought someone was messing with her head and at the end I believed her. In the department of scariness, it wasn’t! I thought the story would freak me out or at least give me some Goose bumps, but unfortunately it did not.

So all in all a enjoyable read.

Melissa  – (13 december 2010 om 09:39)  

Oh shoot! I was hoping this would be a scary book! I'm glad to hear there was great imagery though. Excellent review, Nina, as usual :)

Willa  – (13 december 2010 om 10:18)  

Have to agree with Melissa, I had hoped for more scary stuff :-( Great review though!!

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (13 december 2010 om 11:20)  

Sounds interesting. I hadn't heard of this one. Might be a good one when I'm in the mood for a short read. Thanks for the review!

Blodeuedd  – (13 december 2010 om 12:26)  

Too bad it didn't give you any goosebumps, but it seems you enjoyed it anyway .)

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog  – (13 december 2010 om 12:30)  

awww, i have this one too. sorry it wasn't better :(

Lauren  – (13 december 2010 om 12:47)  

Interesting review - I've heard mixed opinions on this one so I'm probably going to need to read it myself soon. I'm intrigued by your comments about the plot, definitely.

Jessica (BookLover)  – (13 december 2010 om 13:52)  

It's difficult to read a book when you can't connect with the characters. Great review!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (13 december 2010 om 15:42)  

Bummer. But thanks for the honest review and warning.

Jenny N.  – (13 december 2010 om 15:44)  

I read this last year and remember feeling the same way about this book. Hoping I will like her new book more.

Kelsey  – (13 december 2010 om 17:56)  

This sounds interesting but sorry you didn't enjoy it more! I'm super excited about her upcoming release, The Vespertine though!

BLHmistress  – (13 december 2010 om 18:52)  

Thanks for the great review, doubt I will be picking this one up though

Julie  – (14 december 2010 om 14:59)  

Wow! It is quite short. It seemed like it would be spookier due to the cover. I'm looking forward to The Vespertine. Thanks for your honest review! I might pick it up at the library.

Sarah  – (21 december 2010 om 14:54)  

Thanks for the honest review :) I've heard such mixed reviews about this one...I may have to pick it up from the library sometime.

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP