Unthinkable by Shirley Duke

Title: Unthinkable
Written by: Shirley Duke
Release date: October, 2010
Pages: 112
Source: Netgalley, Lerner Classroom

My Feelings:


Description:
Omar Phillips is Bridgewater High's favorite local teen author. His Facebook fans can't wait for his next horror story. But lately Omar's imagination has turned against him. Horrifying visions of death and destruction come over him with wide-screen intensity. The only way to stop the visions is to write them down. Until they start coming true...
Enter Sophie Minax, the mysterious Goth girl who's been following Omar at school. "I'm one of you," Sophie says. She tells Omar how to end the visions―but the only thing worse than Sophie's cure may be what happens if he ignores it.

My Review:
Reading the description of Unthinkable I thought that it would be YA horror story that would scare the living out of me. Okay, not scare the living out of me, but at least be shocking. Sorry to say that it wasn’t. It wasn’t scary and it felt more like a middle grade read.

The characters felt flat and I could not believe how na├»ve Omar is. He truly believes everybody who just tells him a nice story. He doesn’t ask for background information or just more details. No he’s just too trustworthy.

The plot was just okay. There wasn’t any suspense or any questions raised about what was happening. For me to actually enjoy the story it needed more depth and twists. It was too easy to find out who was bad and who was good. And I just couldn’t believe the whole thing.

All in all Unthinkable is a nice read for middle graders. Young adult will find this too easy and just not scary enough. I recommend it if your library has it.

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (21 december 2010 om 08:21)  

Sorry you were disappointed. I appreciate the honest review. Don't think this one is for me. :) Hope your next read is so much better.

Milli  – (21 december 2010 om 08:47)  

bummer. I guess it is pretty hard to find a truely awesome horror story. GReat review, though. :D

Blodeuedd  – (21 december 2010 om 09:41)  

Nice honest review, those are always the best.
So yes, not the book for me

Jenny  – (21 december 2010 om 11:15)  

Too bad on this one, that cover looks really creepy and I would have thought the accompanying story would have been the same way. I think I will probably pass on this one, overly naive characters tend to frustrate me:( Thanks for such a truthful and straightforward review Nina!

....Petty Witter  – (21 december 2010 om 12:17)  

Sorry this wasn't all you expected. I've read several reviews now, all of which agree with you.

notinthepink.com  – (21 december 2010 om 13:02)  

Sorry to hear this wasn't as great as it sounded. Even reading the synopsis you gave I was really intrigued. How disappointing to find out it kind of falls flat. :(

~*~*~

Ceri

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (21 december 2010 om 14:12)  

Great honest review. Sounds too scary for me.

Jenny N.  – (21 december 2010 om 15:49)  

Just from the summary I thought it would be really scary. Too bad it was a let down.

YA Vampire Books  – (22 december 2010 om 14:02)  

N ice review! I like the honesty, and this doesn'tseem like the kind of book I would buy..

Lauren  – (24 december 2010 om 03:37)  

Thanks for your honest and candid review. I guess I probably won't check this one out, although I liked the premise - it sounds like a teen version of Stephen King. Shame you didn't get the scare you were looking for!

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP