The Wild Things by Dave Eggers

Title: The Wild Things
Written by: Dave Eggers
Release date: October, 2009
Pages: 288
Source: Library

My Feelings:


Description:
Seven-year-old Max likes to make noise, get dirty, ride his bike without a helmet and howl like a wolf. In any other era, he would be considered a boy. Driven by a series of pressures internal and external, Max leaves home, jumps in a boat and sails across the ocean to a strange island where giant beasts reign.

My Review:
On my usual trips to the library I saw this book lying on the shelves for new books. I immediately picked it up and read the back description. I thought it would be a really interesting book that I could read during the train rides to college. When I started to read it in the train, I wouldn’t wanted to get off at my destination place. I wanted to stay put and read what happened to Max.

Max is a young boy who feels like his sister is becoming a stranger for him. Instead of playing with him, she hangs out with her friends. His sister is growing up, but he doesn’t understand it. He gets angry at the stupidest things and I think that he is slowly losing himself.

The Wild Things are animals who are depressed, hungry and destructive. They do not want to do anything, but just sit there, be sad and mad. When Max says he is the king, they want so desperately that things change on the Island. I loved Max and his imagination. He really wanted to please the wild things, he wanted them to have fun and be loved.

The ending leaves me with an unhappy feeling. I have so many questions that I really want answers for, for example what happened to the wild beasts when Max went home?, what did his mother and sister say when he got home?, How many days was he really gone? Is there really an island out there with wild things or was it his imagination?. I think I never will get those answers, and I am kind of sad for that.

I enjoyed reading The Wild Things and therefore I hope I am getting the DVD for Christmas.

Blodeuedd  – (23 december 2010 om 08:22)  

I had those questions too after watching the movie. It was good, but confusing and sad

Shy  – (23 december 2010 om 08:32)  

Believe it or not, this is actually the first time I heard about this book *blush* It sounds really interesting and somewhat adventurous!

p.s. Couple more days toward Xmas, so I just want to wish you a Merry Christmas and I hope you have a blast. Is it snowy in Netherland?

Nina  – (23 december 2010 om 08:40)  

Blodeuedd: I want to see that movie. :)

Nina  – (23 december 2010 om 08:42)  

Shy: No worries. You should try and see if your library got it. It's really good.

Thank you. I hope you have a awesome christmas too. It's snowing here in the south, we in the Netherlands are going to have a white christmas. Which I love. I probably will post a picture of the snow tommorow. If I don't forget.

Melissa  – (23 december 2010 om 08:56)  

I've never even heard of this...I feel bad! It sounds like something I'd like even with the unsettling ending. Great review!

By the way - totally jealous of your white Christmas :(

Nina  – (23 december 2010 om 09:03)  

Melissa: When it melts its get messy. Not fun. :)

Tina  – (23 december 2010 om 09:20)  

I read this one and your right...very depressing!! The movie Were the Wild Things Are was not fun, my kids were sad after watching it too, needless to say it wont be one we watch again...:(

Nina  – (23 december 2010 om 09:29)  

Tina: I can understand that. The story was very sad. But still I want to watch the movie. I saw the trailer and it looked so beautiful. :)

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (23 december 2010 om 13:43)  

I have mixed feelings about this one. I saw the movie and I've always loved the illustrations on the original book. I don't like sad stories. :(

Btw, we USED to have white Christmases but won't this year. It looks like it might snow... so I hope, but I'm guessing we will only get a scant amount. :( Hope your holiday is fun!!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (23 december 2010 om 21:07)  

Is this the book the children's book is based on? :)

Maria  – (27 december 2010 om 05:20)  

The book is based on the childrens book Where the wild things are by Maurice Sendak. A beautiful book, but very short. I like this longer version, but misses the pictures.

Lauren  – (27 december 2010 om 05:48)  

I've never heard of this one before but it sounds really good. I'll have to try to get a copy. Thanks so much for the great review Nina! :)

notinthepink.com  – (2 januari 2011 om 13:17)  

Ohhh, I've never seen the film and always wondered whether I should or not because I didn't really know much about the plot. Now that you've reviewed the book it sounds like an interesting read and a film I wouldn't mind seeing. :D

~*~*~

Ceri

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP