An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Title: An Abundance of Katherines
Written by: John Green
Release date: September, 2006
Pages: 227
Source: Won

My Feelings:


Description:
When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact.
On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy-loving best friend riding shotgun but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl.

My Review:
I was happy that I won this book at a contest, because last year I kept on hearing amazing things about the author John Green. Amazing things like his writing is sublime and the characters utterly funny. So, yes, indeed, I had high hopes for this book and after reading chapter one my hopes crumbled.

I had a tough time getting to know all of the characters. The Katherines where a bit off and they lacked personality. Colin spend way too much time obsessing about a formula that would tell him why he gets dumped all the time. Get over it! The math just threw me off, I mean I don’t want to read about math in a book, unless I have to learn something. And Colin was just whining the whole time.

I also had a hard time reading this book. Some parts where interesting, like the road trip, but most of it was boring. It took me at least two weeks to finish this book and I’m sorry to say I skipped a few paragraphs.
I did enjoyed the footnotes. They gave the book something extra. They remembered me of the footnotes in Terry Pratchetts book and that always gets a bonus point. And the history comments that Colin made where nice. I noticed that the author did do research for it, which I like.

And because I heard so much positive things about his writing I’m going to try Looking for Alaska very soon. I do not want to give up on this author, just because An Abundance of Katherines didn’t impress me.

Tricia  – (29 januari 2011 om 12:44)  

I have a love/hate relationship with John Green. I loved this one, but really didn't like Looking for Alaska.

Christina /
Book Addict
 – (29 januari 2011 om 13:11)  

I've never read any of his books, but you are right--there was a lot of buzz surrounding this book. I'm sorry you didn't like it, but I do appreciate the honest review. I think I am going to skip this one, but I'll be interested to hear what you think of Looking for Alaska.

Blodeuedd  – (29 januari 2011 om 13:39)  

Great honest review, I appreciate that :)
And by reading it I do think I can say that no this one is not for me

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews)  – (29 januari 2011 om 13:52)  

I've never read John Green.

This guy Colin sounds like he's unlucky in love, and all those Katherine's sound confusing!

Jenny N.  – (29 januari 2011 om 15:11)  

Haven't read anything by John Green but I have heard that Looking for Alaska is good so I may start with that one instead.

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (29 januari 2011 om 16:22)  

Great honest review. Not for me, but I'm glad you brought it to my attention. Don't think I'd be able to finish a boring one.

Sarah  – (30 januari 2011 om 18:05)  

I agree with you--I couldn't get into An Abundance of Katherines. But you are right not to give up on John Green based on this book. I haven't read Looking for Alaska all the way through yet but I have read John Green's Paper Towns and Will Grayson, Will Grayson, which he coauthored with David Levithan. I love those two books :)

(And I hope you and your friend have fun when you go to Paris!)

Nina  – (31 januari 2011 om 08:14)  

Sarah: Thank you! I will not give up. lol

Rebecca  – (31 januari 2011 om 13:34)  

I'm halfway through An Abundance of Katherines at the moments and I'm finding it quite slow. I agree about the footnotes though, they make the book more interesting. I've read Looking for Alaska by John Green and that one wasn't too bad.

Jane  – (1 februari 2011 om 20:24)  

I'm sad to see that you didn't enjoy it! I actually loved An Abundance of Katherines... Looking for Alaska was better, but it all depends on your personal preferences.

Jane
janestoryblog.blogspot.com

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP