Rampant by Diana Peterfreund

Title: Rampant
Written by: Diana Peterfreund
Release date: August, 2009
Pages: 402
Source: Bought
Part of: Horror & Urban Fantasy Challenge

My Feelings:


Description:
Forget everything you ever knew about unicorns...

Real unicorns are venomous, man-eating monsters with huge fangs and razor-sharp horns. Fortunately, they've been extinct for a hundred and fifty years.

Or not.

Astrid had always scoffed at her eccentric mother's stories about killer unicorns. But when one of the monsters attacks her boyfriend—thereby ruining any chance of him taking her to the prom—Astrid finds herself headed to Rome to train as a unicorn hunter at the ancient cloisters the hunters have used for centuries.

However, at the cloisters all is not what it seems. Outside, the unicorns wait to attack. And within, Astrid faces other, unexpected threats: from the crumbling, bone-covered walls that vibrate with a terrible power to the hidden agendas of her fellow hunters to—perhaps most dangerously of all—her growing attraction to a handsome art student ... an attraction that could jeopardize everything.

My Review:
Yes, indeed, forget everything you ever knew about these creatures, they certainly are not friendly. I had this book for a while now, and thought I would give it a shot. Did I like it? I did, but it took me a while.

Astrid is one kick ass heroine. She’s strong, courageous, independent and smart. She grew into a strong fierce young woman who stand her ground. Yes, I liked Astrid. The other characters I liked too. Especially her niece, she was just what Astrid needed to be strong in the Cloister.

I had a hard time getting into the story. The first few pages where a bit too much. The author introduces us into the world of the unicorn, which is good, but a little too descriptive for my taste. But finally when the action kicked in I was glued to the pages.

The story takes place in Italy and it immediately sets the whole vibe for it. And if you haven’t been there I can guarantee after reading this you want to pack you bag and go. The plot got a bit of everything, romance, action and mythology. The perfect way to start a series!
I'm looking forward reading Ascendant, where the hunt continues…

Jillian  – (15 januari 2011 om 02:39)  

This sounds good! I do love unicorns as mythological creatures and it seems like this book makes them even cooler! Thanks for the review!

YA Vampire Books  – (15 januari 2011 om 03:19)  

Sounds very interesting! Great review

Blueicegal ♥  – (15 januari 2011 om 06:59)  

Oh no Unicorns as the bad guys I don't think I could take it! *grins* Iv'e had my eye on this one and it seems interesting but I have heard quite negative things about it hmmm

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (15 januari 2011 om 10:42)  

Oh I so want both those books! I'm glad you eventually enjoyed the book. Now I need them more!! :)Thanks for the review!

Anna  – (15 januari 2011 om 10:43)  

I like the interesting new take on unicorns. They're always portrayed as super gentle and mellow, the idea of killer unicorns sounds intriguing. And Astrid sounds awesome, I love strong heroines. I'm so checking this book out. :D

Natalie (Mindful Musings)  – (15 januari 2011 om 10:56)  

I've wanted to read this one ever since it first came out, but I've never gotten around to it. Glad you enjoyed it (even with the slow beginning), and thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

Jenny N.  – (15 januari 2011 om 12:27)  

I still need to read the second book but I thought the killer unicorns were certainly different.

Blodeuedd  – (15 januari 2011 om 15:36)  

Lol, evil unicorns...I can honestly not even imagine it..nope, still can't :) Would be so interesting to see how it all plays out

Darlyn  – (16 januari 2011 om 21:44)  

Evil unicorns? Ohh, I love the graceful and kind unicorns! But it definitely sounds very interesting =)

Lisa  – (17 januari 2011 om 09:03)  

I think this books sounds really interesting I just don't know if I want to ruin my image of unicorns as these kind beautiful creatures.

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP