She Smells The Dead by E.J. Stevens

Title: She Smells The Dead
Written by: E.J. Stevens
Release date: September, 2010
Pages: 163
Source: Won @ i swim for oceans
Part of: Horror & Urban Fantasy Challenge

My Feelings:


Description:
It's the beginning of senior year and Yuki's psychic awareness of ghostly spirits is threatening to ruin her life. Her ability to sense spirits of the dead isn't glamorous like on TV. SHE SMELLS THE DEAD. Yuki is being visited in her dreams and suspects that her friend Calvin is involved in something strange. Will Yuki be able to save the spirits and herself?

My Review:
Despite it being a thin book, She Smells The Dead was on top of my to be read books for almost two weeks. And that is long for me. So yesterday I decided to pick the book up and start reading it.

Vanesssa Stemmings aka Yuki is a young girl who has a fashion style I seriously found interesting, loves anime and is a bit too much in to it than I prefer. With all the characters that are in this story I really liked Emma the best. Not only is she intelligent, a vegan, loyal, but she also stands up for what she believes is right. You go girl! I just didn’t quite get the other characters.

Like for example Simon. He was in his forties, but acted like he was in his teen years. And I don’t care that he looked like he is in his twenties, he cannot seriously be hitting on girls half his own age.

The relationship that Calvin had with Yuki went quickly from friends to lovers. It got me questioning what exactly it was that attracted them to each other. First they where friends and then suddenly they where in a relationship together.

It also felt like I was reading two different stories in one and it was over in a heartbeat. The werewolf thing I thought was a bit predictable and the smell thing was building up to be great, but unfortunately was too short. Her ability to smell the dead is unique and Yuki is very mature about it.

I had a feeling that the author had a few endings in mind, wrote them, couldn’t decide, so picked them all out. Every time a chapter ended, I thought the story ended, but it wasn’t so.

She Smells The Dead is a quick, easy book with an unique character that I didn’t quite dig. Though I didn’t quite love it, I still am looking forward to read the sequel and find out if Yuki can handle her power when the dead comes walking in.

Froggy  – (19 januari 2011 om 10:56)  

great review!! I'd have to say reading your review that I won't be adding this to my TBR pile..seems like the way it was written would annoy me! LOL!!

Froggy
Froggarita's Bookcase

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (19 januari 2011 om 11:40)  

I haven't read this one, but I've been curious. I'm sorry you didn't love it, but I loved your balanced review! Hopefully the next one will rock your socks off.

Blodeuedd  – (19 januari 2011 om 12:11)  

To smell the dead..dunno what that actually mean but it doesn't sound that pleasant, lol

YA Vampire Books  – (19 januari 2011 om 14:34)  

Eww a 40 year old - gross! haha
Sounds like a different but interesting book!

Lauren  – (19 januari 2011 om 15:59)  

Hmm, great review but I'm not sure about this one... It sounds interesting and all, though I'm not really sure if I would like the characters all that much.

Jenny N.  – (19 januari 2011 om 19:11)  

I do like the cover but the story sounds so-so. Not too sure about Simon. It sounds a little disturbing with him being a 40 year old and doing things like that.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (20 januari 2011 om 06:47)  

Bummer! I had high hopes. I still look forward to trying it. Thanks for your honesty :)

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog  – (21 januari 2011 om 11:10)  

I thought the exact same thing about yuki and calvin!! All of a sudden they were just kissing!! I was like where did that come from?? I liked Emma the vegan too :)

hmsgofita  – (21 januari 2011 om 16:25)  

I love the cover...the title is so weird, though. Looks like it's a fun read! Great review.

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP