The Snowball Effect by Holly Nicole Hoxter

Title: The Snowball Effect
Written by: Holly Nicole Hoxter
Release date: March, 2010
Pages: 368
Source: Received from my mentor Lenore (IBBMP)

My Feelings:


Description:

Plainey Pike can tell you everything you need to know about the people in her family just by letting you know how they died. Her reckless stepfather drove his motorcycle off the highway and caused the biggest traffic jam in years. Her long-suffering grandmother lived through cancer and a heart attack before finally succumbing to a stroke. And Lainey's mothers well, Lainey's mother hanged herself in the basement just days after Lainey's high school graduation. Now Lainey's five-year-old brother is an orphan and her estranged older sister is moving back home to be his guardian. Meanwhile, Lainey's boyfriend is thinking about having a family of their own, and her best friends are always asking the wrong sorts of questions and giving advice Lainey doesn't want to hear. As she tries to pull away from everything familiar, Lainey meets an intriguing new guy who, through a series of Slurpees, burgers, and snowballs, helps her to make peace with a parent she never understood.

My Review:
Have you ever read a book that made you so sad you just want to put the book away for a couple of days and read it later. This book does that to me. It’s all about loss, grieving and coping.

Lainey is a character that I started to like, even care for and then she treats her boyfriend like crap and that totally pissed me off. I understood her sadness, her angriness and her abandonment issues, but the way she treated Riley was a bit harsh. I liked the supporting character, the sister. She was not responsible, serious or trustworthy, but I could definitely see a change in her behavior towards the end.

The plot is just sad and depressing. It takes you from one sad place to another, like there is no sunshine after the rain has gone. For me the story is too long and dragged a bit at the end. I started to warm up to the main character, but wasn’t quite there yet, when it ended.
This quote from Ashleigh Brilliant fits with Lainey's life, "My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot".

If you like to read contemporary YA novels, you should try "The Snowball Effect".
It did not work for me, but it may work for you.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (13 januari 2011 om 05:14)  

I know that feeling well. Great review! Sorry it didn't win you over ;)

Briana  – (13 januari 2011 om 07:20)  

Awesome review :) I don't know if this would be my favorite book to be honest. It just doesn't sound like something I would enjoy.

Blodeuedd  – (13 januari 2011 om 07:25)  

Eh sad and depressing, no, I think this one is not for me either.

Great honest review though :)

Jenny N.  – (13 januari 2011 om 09:31)  

Probably not the book for me then. Thanks for the honest review.

Jessica (BookLover)  – (13 januari 2011 om 10:29)  

I don't mind sad books when they're done right. But this book sounds like it might be TOO sad/depressing for me.

I appreciate your honesty! I hope your next read is better. :)

Cindy (Oodles of Books)  – (13 januari 2011 om 10:37)  

I really like sad stories, I don't know why, so I really want to read this one. I'm sorry it didn't work for you though! Great, honest review :)

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (13 januari 2011 om 12:00)  

I don't know if I'd be able to deal with the depressing part... I mean I don't mind it if it leads to happy... hmm... still you make it sound interesting, even if it wasn't for you. I'll keep this one in mind. Thanks for the great review.

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews)  – (13 januari 2011 om 14:54)  

I think this one might be a little dreary for me. I don't mind that from time to time, but not in January when the days are dreary anyway! lol! Thanks for the great and honest review!

Crystal - Princess of Pop Culture  – (13 januari 2011 om 17:27)  

Oooh, I'm glad to hear your review...this seems like a book I would normally have picked up, but I'm definitely not up for something depressing or dealing with loss!

Blueicegal ♥  – (13 januari 2011 om 18:08)  

OOOH my first thought was, did Nina just say pissed? LMFAO, shame that you didn't get into it :)

....Petty Witter  – (14 januari 2011 om 06:27)  

Sad and depressing - I guess you'd have to be in a certain frame of mind to want to read this.

Sandy  – (14 januari 2011 om 08:38)  

The tragic events that Lainey's suffered in her life didn't make me shy away from the story but I couldn't get over how absolutely mean and flakey she was to her boyfriend... I couldn't sympathize with her character at all :/

Darlyn  – (16 januari 2011 om 21:48)  

Sold! I would love to read this. Sounds really tragic and depressing makes it look interesting =)

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP