Calling for Angels by Alex Smith

Title: Calling for Angels
Written by: Alex Smith
Release date: November, 2010
Pages: 146
Source: For Review, The Red Telephone
Part of: Horror & Urban Fantasy Challenge

My Feelings:


Description:

Em never believed in angels. That was until she met Zak and Kai…

Em - shy, sensitive, with her head in the clouds - and Caitlyn - gorgeous, popular and talented - have been best friends forever, in a sleepy, nondescript town called Philiton.

But when new boy Zak moves into town, Philiton suddenly becomes a much more interesting place. With his meltingly hot looks, sense of humour and a smile that has even the hardest-hearted girls falling at his feet, Zak has the female population of Philiton Comprehensive School convinced he's an angel.

Usually, Caitlyn has the boys worshipping the ground she treads on, so it’s a shock when Zak seems to be more interested in Em. Cracks appear, tensions arise, but surely Em and Caitlyn’s lifelong friendship can survive?

Em feels beset by demons. At home, she’s looking after her grandmother, who is slowly deteriorating, whilst despairing at her normally sensible brother, who is going off the rails just to fit in with the ‘right crowd’. Even Zak’s unexpected attention causes jealous girls to shower Em with spite – not least Caitlyn. If only she had a guardian angel…

Then a second boy steps into Em’s life. Dark and brooding, a captive to the secrets of a past he’d rather forget, Kai, who has appeared as if from nowhere and fallen head over heels in love with Em, is the exact opposite of Zak.

And although he may not seem like it, Kai is the real thing. He really is an angel.

My Review:
Calling for Angels sounded pretty good to me. I mean I adore paranormal stories and there is an angel involved, but unfortunately the story didn’t grabbed hold of my attention for the entire time.

Kai is supposed to be dark and brooding, keeping a very dark secret to himself. But he just isn’t. The secret, I still have no clue what it is, yeah he was an angel, but that wasn’t hard to figure out. After finishing the book I was disappointed that I didn’t really knew who Kai was.

And then we have the main character Em. Em is such realistic character, that a lot of teenagers can relate to her. The ups and downs of high school is described very well. I also liked that Em really grow throughout this story and starting to believe in herself.

The story is told trough two different perspectives, Em and Kai’s. I thought this was a fun way to get to know them better.

Even though I felt like there where many questions unanswered and it didn’t grab hold of my attention the entire time I still enjoyed reading Calling for Angels. It’s a very nice read for middle graders and young adults.

Melissa (i swim for oceans)  – (3 februari 2011 om 10:31)  

I like how sweet this story of angels is, and I enjoy the idea of two different perspectives, however the prospect of unanswered questions doesn't appeal to me. I want to know what happened and why it happened. It seems a bit too MG for me. Great honest review though, Nina! :)

vvb32 reads  – (3 februari 2011 om 10:56)  

interesting how the cover looks more cute than horror related, so it matches your review

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (3 februari 2011 om 11:39)  

Sorry it just didn't grab you. Not sure if this would be for me either. I don't like it when you get frustrated about no knowing a character's secret. Thanks for the honest review!

Blodeuedd  – (3 februari 2011 om 12:39)  

Nice honest review.
I do think the book is not for me, and the whole angel thing, nah, doesn't work for me

Kelsey  – (3 februari 2011 om 13:58)  

I hadn't heard of this before but it sounds interesting.. Nice review :)

Jenny N.  – (3 februari 2011 om 23:02)  

From the cover it looks like a cute read. But sometimes stories frustrate me when there's never any answers so this one's probably not for me.

Alyssa  – (4 februari 2011 om 08:20)  

Not having those answers would be too frustrating!

Christie (The Fiction Enthusiast)  – (4 februari 2011 om 09:30)  

Great review! I’ve seen this one around, but this is the first review for it I’ve read. Sounds fun, but I’m getting tired of books with unanswered questions :)

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (4 februari 2011 om 16:17)  

Great review!

I wonder if I would dig this one. I'm not crazy about the cover though :)

Thanks for bringing this to my attention :)

Cleverly Inked  – (8 februari 2011 om 06:51)  

It looks good, to bad ti wasn't 100% great honest review

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP