Lost in the River of Grass by Ginny Rorby

Title: Lost in the River of Grass
Written by: Ginny Rorby
Release date: March, 2011
Pages: 264
Source: Netgalley, Lerner Publishing Group

My Feelings:


Description:
"I don't realize I'm crying until he glances at me. For a moment, I see the look of anguish in his eyes, then he blinks it away and slips off into the water. I immediately think of the gator. It's still down there somewhere. . . ."
A science-class field trip to the Everglades is supposed to be fun, but Sarah's new at Glades Academy, and her fellow freshmen aren't exactly making her feel welcome. When an opportunity for an unauthorized side trip on an airboat presents itself, it seems like a perfect escape—an afternoon without feeling like a sore thumb. But one simple oversight turns a joyride into a race for survival across the river of grass. Sarah will have to count on her instincts—and a guy she barely knows—if they have any hope of making it back alive.

My Review:
I read this story in a couple of hours and I can honestly tell you it felt like I was beside Sarah searching for my way out of Everglades.

Sarah is a young girl who is a loner. She has courage and wants to change the fact that she has no friends at school. I admire her for that. I know that a lot of young adults who feel that they are ‘outsiders’ at school just let it all sly by. They won’t take initiative, just because they are scared. And even though she is scared, she is still trying to talk to the mean girls in her class. At times she’s very whiney, but I could relate to her. Like her, I cannot stand bugs and spiders. So when she was scared, I was scared too. She’s also very brave and sometimes very clingy to Andy.

Andy is another great character. Even though at the middle of the story I thought that he was a mad person, I still liked that he protected Sarah. He is also very strong and knows a lot of the area they are in and the animals surrounding them. At the end my feelings changed a bit for him, it looked like he was forgetting Sarah was there with him.

The plot is great. The pace doesn’t go very fast, and some parts are very slow. But even with the slow parts you want to keep on reading, because it’s just too good. The area where they are in is described in details. The animal attacks and the information we get from Andy about the animals are very descriptive and nice. What I liked to see more was the dialogue. I liked when they tell each other stories of their past, and there could have been more of that.

I’m not a big fan of nature, so I kind of was wondering if would like this book, but I did. So Lost in the River of Grass is a story for teenagers and adults who likes to read a thrilling story about finding a way out in the wilderness. And you don’t have to be a nature lover!

Lost in the River of Grass is OUT NOW.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (28 februari 2011 om 12:34)  

Fascinating. Being from the same state, I'm really interested in trying this one :)

Blodeuedd  – (28 februari 2011 om 13:16)  

Perhaps not the book for me, but great review :)
Gators, and being lost, would not want that

Natalie (Mindful Musings)  – (28 februari 2011 om 14:13)  

I loved these kinds of stories when I was a kid. I read a lot of Gordon Korman's books, and a lot of them featured similar storylines: kids/teenagers trying to survive in the wild. I'm definitely going to have to check this one out!

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (28 februari 2011 om 16:14)  

Oh this sounds good. I do like nature so that wouldn't deter me. Thanks for the great review!

Cari  – (28 februari 2011 om 17:14)  

I have never heard of this book but it sounds good. Thanks for the review!

Ginny Rorby  – (1 maart 2011 om 07:43)  

Thank you for the great review. I'm happy you enjoyed Lost in the River of Grass and hope it changes a mind or two about 'nature.' I'm not sure I would have survived to adulthood, if there hadn't been an outdoors for me to escape into. Even now, I'm surrounded by a forest, have nightly visits from a skunk, and have a bat sleeping on a beam in my bathroom. Stick a toe in the water. Nature is full of mysteries, and can healall the pain civilization inflicts. Thank you again for the lovely review. Ginny Rorby www.ginnyrorby.com

Nina  – (1 maart 2011 om 09:47)  

Ginny Rorby: You are very welcome!

Andrea  – (1 maart 2011 om 14:14)  

Nice review. Sounds good.

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP