Interview with...

Last week I started this feature and today it's time for part deux. If your new here and have no idea what's going on right now, you should read the very first with the explanation. ;) Let's get it started..

Name one book you had to read but hated, and explain why you hated it.
Hate is such a strong word. I don’t think I hate a book, I just don’t like it and never want to read it again. And yes, the book was thrown to the walls several times and I screamed to the stupid characters and yes, it totally looks like crap now. But I do not hate it. And now you may think I have anger issues, but I swear I have a solemnly good reason why I did it. One of the characters just pissed me off.

Don’t hate me if the book is your all time favourites and it’s in your top 5 list.
The book is Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. The reason why I don’t like the book is because of one character and his name is Ariza.

Florentino Ariza is one sick, selfish dude. He is obsessed with this girl called Fermina and calls it love. He cannot get her so he’s screwing around with everyone he can get his hands on. And I do mean everyone. His actions where so off and I do not want to read how he makes *love* with 600 different woman. Go in group therapy, talk about it and then get over it. Life is too short to dwell about something that happens so long ago. And then I thought It couldn’t get any worse he goes having sex with a 14 year old girl. For G’s sake he’s 70! OMG!

How could one character kill this story? Well that way! No, I’m not going to lit the book on fire or steal the only copy at the library so nobody can read it. I will now forget about it and only say, I read it, I did not like it. That’s it.

Do you have a book that you hate or didn’t like? And why?

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (19 maart 2011 om 12:20)  

Hm... I have this ones somehow. It was given to me but I haven't read it. I just keep putting it off. Hm... maybe I know why now. Don't think I'd like it either.

A book that I hated... usually something that was a dnf for me. Those are rare since I usually push through things. However, if it is just torture to finish and I finally admit defeat, it is because I just didn't like the book. *sigh*

booksntea  – (19 maart 2011 om 12:21)  

I've not read the book, but I did see most of the movie. I was entertained enough to want to see the end of the movie, but my mom finished it without me. I don't know how different the two are. I didn't realize he'd had sex with a 14 year old. Anyway, I found the movie to be incredibly disturbing. Casuel sex to that extent is really...blech.

- Jackie

Elie  – (19 maart 2011 om 13:45)  

I don't remember the name now, but I agreed to read a novella for an author and it was horrible. She warned me there was some adult content, but it was WAY over the top. I emailed her and told her this wasn't my style and she was kind enough to excuse my from writing it.

Blodeuedd  – (19 maart 2011 om 14:29)  

Woa, woa, what? 70 and having sex with a 14 year old, ok so wrong, and I do not wanna read it

Missie  – (19 maart 2011 om 15:57)  

Nina, please tell me that is not true? Gross! Why the heck is this book so renown? They character does sound like he totally destroys the story. Thanks for sharing because now I know I'm not missing out on anything.

P.S. Sometimes I have anger issues with books too. I've been known to scream at character and want to fling books against the way. But I always feel bad afterward.

Jenny N.  – (19 maart 2011 om 16:27)  

Isn't this book like a classic? The title makes it sound like some way romantic book but now I'm put off by the story.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (20 maart 2011 om 06:29)  

Great post!

GGM does an excellent job of making his male characters hard to love womanizers. So I feel ya ;)

Jenny  – (20 maart 2011 om 11:08)  

Um, I think I'll pass on this book, it sounds a little disturbing to me. I definitely find it difficult to connect with an overly womanizing male character, and when someone who's 70 goes after a 14 year old? Wrong!

vvb32 reads  – (20 maart 2011 om 11:12)  

you know this is one i had a hard time with too. it is on my dnf list.

Brandileigh2003 (Blkosiner's Book Blog)  – (20 maart 2011 om 16:05)  

Well, books are so subjective and written for different people, so of course there have been books I've tried that weren't for me. :)

Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Jillian  – (20 maart 2011 om 18:06)  

Okay I thought I was the only one that didn't like this book! I absolutely despised it for some reason and like you, just wanted to give up and throw it away. I didn't though and I still continued to read it.

Melissa (i swim for oceans)  – (20 maart 2011 om 18:06)  

One book that I've absolutely loathed was Witch & Wizard. I can overlook a book based on content, but I cannot deal with cheapskate writing, which that was.

Liz @ Cleverly Inked  – (21 maart 2011 om 10:49)  

Wow, that book is gross. I don't have one I have hated. Hrmm have to think about it.

Aths  – (22 maart 2011 om 18:58)  

I've been thinking of reading that book. Hmm.....

I do happen to have ONE book that I hated totally! And that's Night Runner by Max Turner. I thought that book was just unbelievably (mumble).

notinthepink.com  – (24 maart 2011 om 11:29)  

I'm actually reading that book for the first time now. I'll come back to this when I'm done in case of spoilers. ;-)

~*~*~

Ceri

hmsgofita  – (26 maart 2011 om 11:07)  

The Alchemist was like that for me. Everyone seems to love it and nope, not me!

I've been wanting to read his 100 Days of Solitude...think I'll pass on Love in the Time of Cholera.

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP