Jaq’s Harp by Ella Drake

Title: Jaq’s Harp
Written by: Ella Drake
Release date: February, 2011
Pages: 93
Source: Net galley, Carina Press

My Feelings:


Description:
In a world of floating islands and bio-engineered beans, the bad guys are taken down by agents of the Mother organization—agents like Jacqueline “Jaq” Robinson. Instead of accepting her next routine assignment, she sets out on a mission of her own—to destroy Giant Corp, the company responsible for her sister’s wasting illness. Jaq must steal her cure from Giant’s headquarters high above the city…even though she’ll be brought face-to-face with Harper English, the man who left her to go deep undercover at Giant.

For Harp, Jaq had been a distraction the mercenary thought he couldn’t afford. But once he sees her again, Harp knows he’s made a mistake. Even though she vowed he won’t have her again, it’s clear they still have a powerful attraction. Harp’s determined to get a second chance with Jaq—if they can escape Giant Corp and get back to solid ground in one piece…

My Review:
Every time I see a cover that just stands out from all the others it makes me want to read the story. It does often happen that I come home with books that I haven’t even heard of, but the cover made the book more interesting than the story so I bought it. Jaq’s Harps cover is just amazing. The city, the Beanstalk, the whole mystery feeling I get from it makes me want to read it. So I’m glad I got this for review from Carina Press.

Jaq is a young woman who is strong, caring and very protective of her sister. No matter what the costs are she wants to find the cure that will make her sister better and she doesn’t care about her own well being. Even without not knowing the depth of this character, she really stands out and as a reader I wanted her to succeed. The other main character in this story is Harp. From what I can tell in this short plot is that he is charming, kind and maybe in his younger years reserved. He really loves Jaq and isn’t afraid to let her know that.

The plot is great. There is action and romance, which I quite enjoyed. And I do love the world building. Right at the beginning it’s like I was in another world and it made everything more believable. I loved the idea of the beanstalk in the story, such fun.

I’m looking forward reading more from this author, because this short novella was such a delight. Jaq’s Harp is a short, futuristic romantic story that I def. recommend.

Blodeuedd  – (16 maart 2011 om 11:31)  

The cover does stand out, creepy and so good. I would read it.

Missie  – (16 maart 2011 om 11:49)  

Nina, What an interesting play on Jack and the Beanstalk. Though when I first looked at the cover, I didn't get it was a beanstalk until I read your review.

Well, because the love interest isn't afraid to show his true feelings and because the premise sound exciting, I think I will be checking this story out. Thanks for the review because I hadn't heard of this short story.

Jenny N.  – (16 maart 2011 om 14:59)  

I love background on the cover with the city and the beanstalk and glad to hear that you recommend this one.

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (16 maart 2011 om 16:20)  

Sounds like a fun one. I didn't realize it had to do with bean stalks! Hm... looks like I may need this one. :)

Julie  – (16 maart 2011 om 17:06)  

This sounds so cool! I love steampunk. And what an awesome spin on Jack and the Beanstalk. I'm adding this one to my list. Fab review!

Christy @ReaderBee  – (16 maart 2011 om 19:09)  

I agree, the cover to this is really awesome! The book sounds really interesting too... I'm going to have to read this book!

Jessica (BookLover)  – (16 maart 2011 om 21:08)  

Sounds like a good novella! I really want to read more steampunk - I've only read about 2 so far. Great review! And I really like that cover! :)

Kelsey  – (17 maart 2011 om 13:18)  

This sounds like a unique and good novella! What a gorgeous cover!

Nice review!

A Canadian Girl  – (17 maart 2011 om 20:29)  

Since I love the cover and enjoy unique twists on fairy tales, I'll be adding this one to my wishlist. Thanks for the review!

Nic @ Irresistible Reads  – (17 maart 2011 om 21:21)  

That cover is gorgeous. It would make me pick it too. The girl on the front kind of looks like Sookie Stakehouse. Great review. Definitely adding this unique tale to my wishlist :)

Mishel (P.S. I Love Books)  – (18 maart 2011 om 05:43)  

The cover drew me in as well. I recently read this one and really liked it. I usually stray away from short stories and novellas but this read definitely made me re-think my decisions. Excellent review!

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP