Need by Carrie Jones

Title: Need
Written by: Carrie Jones
Release date: December, 2008
Pages: 306
Source: Bought
Part of: Horror & Urban Fantasy Challenge

My Feelings:



Description:
Zara White suspects there's a freaky guy semi-stalking her. She's also obsessed with phobias. And it's true, she hasn't exactly been herself since her stepfather died. But exiling her to shivery Maine to live with her grandmother? That seems a bit extreme. The move is supposed to help her stay sane...but Zara's pretty sure her mom just can't deal with her right now.

She couldn't be more wrong. Turns out the semi-stalker is not a figment of Zara's overactive imagination. In fact, he's still following her, leaving behind an eerie trail of gold dust. There's something not right - not human - in this sleepy Maine town, and all signs point to Zara.

In this creepy, compelling breakout novel, Carrie Jones delivers romance, suspense, and a creature you never thought you'd have to fear.

My Review:
Honestly I really tried to love this book, but there where just certain things that happened that made the story hard to read.

I couldn’t connect with the main character Zara and at times I found her irritating. All those phobias where a bit hard to take and I couldn’t believe how fast she liked Nick. I also had a hard time believing that her friends really believed that Zara’s *stalker* was a pixie and that she believed them so fast. Come on if someone said to me that my stalker is a pixie, I would laugh in their face and tell them to see a shrink. Oh yeah and her friend Issie, she reminded me of Luna Lovegood, just strange.

I thought that there would be more telling about the pixies, but unfortunately this wasn’t so. They where in it, did bad things and got defeated. I would love to learn more about them. So the plot is okay, it doesn’t really put me on the edge of my seat, but I did enjoyed it.

So am I going to read Captivate? I don’t know. Is it better than Need?

Natalie (Mindful Musings)  – (10 maart 2011 om 12:06)  

Personally, I had a few of the same issues you did with Need, but I thought that Captivate was better. Not perfect, but better.

Tricia  – (10 maart 2011 om 12:44)  

I felt Captivate was a little better than Need, but I still gave them both 3 stars.

Blodeuedd  – (10 maart 2011 om 12:54)  

Oh no, I do not want an irritating heroine. I do think this book would be a miss for me

Missie  – (10 maart 2011 om 13:27)  

LMAO! You're killing me.

I've been curious about this book. Glad to know to save my time (and my money for therapy).

P.S. Your stalker is a ogre.

Kelsey  – (10 maart 2011 om 15:06)  

Sorry you didn't enjoy this more, I love this series! I think the books just get better and more original so I hope you check out Captivate :)

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (10 maart 2011 om 15:24)  

I did enjoy this one but enjoyed the second one better. I guess that the fact that they liked the boy too fast doesn't bother me as much as it does others, but it is a good point. For me, it's more like "oh well, it's a YA... " :)

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog  – (10 maart 2011 om 15:42)  

Uh oh,!! i'm sorry you didn't like this one more. I haven't tried this series yet.

Jenny N.  – (10 maart 2011 om 15:45)  

I don't think I will be starting this series anytime soon. Just read your review and really thought it would be better.

Jessica (BookLover)  – (10 maart 2011 om 16:40)  

I thought about reading this one a while back but I noticed that I came across more negative reviews than positive ones, so I decided against it. Thanks for your honesty! I hope the second book is better if you decide to read it.

Nic @ Irresistible Reads  – (10 maart 2011 om 18:07)  

Yeah I pretty much felt the same way. I liked the second book even less unfortunately.

Alison  – (10 maart 2011 om 18:34)  

Interesting post. I've heard so many good things about this that it's nice to get another perspective. It's too bad that there's not more exploration of pixies.

Marce  – (10 maart 2011 om 19:49)  

Hmmm, I have been intrigued with this series for a long time but I am giving up on YA more now, think I will take this one off my Wishlist to read.

Cari  – (10 maart 2011 om 20:13)  

I have this but haven't read it so now I'm not sure I want to. We tend to have the same taste in books.

Jenny  – (10 maart 2011 om 20:55)  

Hm, I've been on the fence with this one since I've read such mixed reviews. I worry that I won't be able to connect to Zara either based on your thoughts, and if I can't connect to the main character usually the book doesn't work for me. I like the pixie angle though, I haven't read too many books that feature them:) Thanks for this review Nina!

YA Vampire Books  – (11 maart 2011 om 06:30)  

Hahaha I would definitely send my friends to a schrink if they thought a pixie was stalking me... Nice review!

Adriana  – (11 maart 2011 om 08:08)  

I definitely agree with you about the book. To me it came off a bit cutesy and young. I still haven't read Captivate so I'm not sure if gets better or not.

Anna  – (11 maart 2011 om 15:17)  

Sorry to hear it was such a problematic read. The description makes it sound so interesting but the details make me wonder whether I'll enjoy it or not too. Maybe I'll give it a try, but thanks for letting me know it's not a must read!

Sara@CleverlyInked  – (12 maart 2011 om 09:13)  

I think this book might be something I am interested in! Thanks for the great review!

hmsgofita  – (12 maart 2011 om 12:24)  

I've heard too many annoying things about this book and series in general. Don't think I'll worry about picking it up any time soon. Thanks for the great review!

Sandy  – (12 maart 2011 om 15:08)  

Zara gets better in the sequel. Captivate is MUCH more interesting and if you do decide to go on with the series, you'll meet a character that (in my opinion, at least) is better than Nick.

Small Review  – (19 maart 2011 om 06:11)  

Hahaa, I love this review! I couldn't agree with you more! Zara was super annoying.

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP