Should I?

A week ago I was standing in the bookstore looking at beautiful covers and really wanting to buy something. I saw the gorgeous cover of Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert and remembered that I saw an episode of Oprah where she interviewed the author. I always thought that this would be a fantastic book to read, but then I read a couple of reviews that made me go *oh no, really that bad?* and now I don’t know if I should get it. The problem is that the library has a long waiting list for this book and I don’t know if I have the patience to wait for it. To buy or not to buy?

Have you read Eat, Pray, Love? Did you loved or hated it? And why?

Blodeuedd  – (9 maart 2011 om 07:17)  

I watched the movie, and so so so boring!

Nina  – (9 maart 2011 om 07:26)  

Really? What was boring about it?

Missie  – (9 maart 2011 om 08:27)  

I haven't read the book or watched the movie, mostly because the reviews have turned me off. I'd say wait until it is available at the library. :/

Jenny N.  – (9 maart 2011 om 08:36)  

Sorry can't help you out, I haven't read the book or watched the movie. But I have seen some mixed reviews on it too.

Jenny  – (9 maart 2011 om 08:50)  

My mother in law read this one and liked one of the sections (can't remember which one) but said she was bored to tears with the other two. I think she said it just dragged in two of the locations the woman visits and she just felt like nothing happened. I don't know for sure since I haven't read it, but she and I tend to be on the same page with books so I've skipped this one!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog  – (9 maart 2011 om 09:25)  

Hmmm, I've heard lots of bad reviews and did not finishes from people who love to read and did not like this book. By all means see for yourself, but I've heard it's not very good.

bermudaonion  – (9 maart 2011 om 10:04)  

I haven't read the book, but I did see the movie and I didn't love it. I think people seem to love or hate the book.

Safari Poet  – (9 maart 2011 om 10:16)  

I haven't read it either, but I'd suggest waiting for it because if you buy it after being so unsure about it, you'll kick yourself.

Jessica (Firefly Book Loft)  – (9 maart 2011 om 10:34)  

I read the book and did not like it. Elizabeth Gilbert ended up being so selfish and there was really no substance to her story.
The movie was pretty bad too. I LOVE Julia Roberts and was so excited for her to be in the movie (that was before I read the book) but I ended up turning the movie off twice before I could make myself sit and watch it. And even when I did "watch" it, I read magazines the whole time.

Though I will say, the traveling bits are awesome. I loved everything about Italy, but I'm not sure if it would be worth sitting through all of it just for that.

notinthepink.com  – (9 maart 2011 om 11:37)  

Really did not like the book at all. Love the film though - Gotta love Julia Roberts playing a 40 something year old woman and having fun with it. :D

~*~*~

Ceri

vvb32 reads  – (9 maart 2011 om 12:03)  

overall i liked it. but must admit that i liked her adventure in italy the most. i would recommend waiting for the library version.

Blueicegal ♥  – (9 maart 2011 om 12:26)  

I see where your coming from because I have read only bad reviews on it to. Let us know what you decide.

Brandileigh2003 (Blkosiner's Book Blog)  – (9 maart 2011 om 12:35)  

I've been debating about this one, and haven't decided. I just wanted to see what others thought and I'll be watching for your decision.
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Elie  – (9 maart 2011 om 12:43)  

I have heard mixed reviews as well, I would wait. What is it selling for? If you really can't wiat, you could buy a copy, read it and donate it to the library though. Would be good book karma.

Beth S.  – (9 maart 2011 om 13:33)  

I loved the book. I know a lot of people found it off-putting because they felt it was so narcissistic, but I love the idea of traveling to "find yourself". There is so much to learn from the world. There is so much ignorance out there that I think could be eradicated by just leaving your little corner of the world and learning about the way people do things somewhere else.

If you're normally a reader of travel memoirs, then I say go ahead and buy it. If not, then maybe wait for it at the library.

I will say this: don't judge the book by the movie. The movie version was terrible.

Christina / Book Addict  – (9 maart 2011 om 15:20)  

I must be a freak, because I really liked this book. But--keep in mind that I find traveling to be so amazing. I loved the Italy portion the most. I like the idea that a person's life can fall apart, but you can pick yourself up by traveling the world and meeting new people, experiencing new things, etc. Yes, there were parts that were self-absorbed, but I think all memoirs are and should be.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages)  – (9 maart 2011 om 16:11)  

I've not read it. I do remember some one some where did read it, but I don't really remember what the review said. I don't think it was one I would normally pick up with my genre of reading.

But, if you get it I do hope you enjoy it. :)

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (9 maart 2011 om 16:18)  

If you are on the fence, I say wait for the library. I've read some not so good reviews too so I haven't read it either.

Small Review  – (9 maart 2011 om 19:22)  

I haven't read this one, but my library patrons seem to be pretty split on it. Some liked it a lot and some hated it. We mentioned the movie to a woman and her response was this: "I tortured myself with the book and you want to give me the movie? Never in a million years!" :P

Aths  – (9 maart 2011 om 19:54)  

I watched the movie and hated it! It was slowww and too assuming. It was just not my cup of tea. I don't think I'll be reading this book.

Alison  – (9 maart 2011 om 20:29)  

I haven't read it or watched the movie, but I don't think I'll be interested. What I do want to read is Eat Prey Love. :-)

A Canadian Girl  – (9 maart 2011 om 21:42)  

I haven't read this one but maybe you could watch the movie and see if you like it. If not, then you could just wait to get it from the library.

Nic @ Irresistible Reads  – (9 maart 2011 om 21:48)  

I haven't read it but I have read her sister's books The Dairy Queen series and they were awesome. Maybe read them instead :)

Liz @ Cleverly Inked  – (10 maart 2011 om 05:48)  

I watched the movie and was not impressed by the plot. :(

Nina  – (10 maart 2011 om 10:51)  

Thank you all for commenting! I'm going to think about it, but after reading all your comments I'm about 90% sure I will wait. ;)

Elie: That's a good idea! If I am going to buy it, hate it I will give it to the library. Never thought about that. ;) The price is 10 euro's.

Beth S.: I never read a travel memoir, so this will be the first one. But I do love to travel!!

Small Review: OMG, she must really HATE that movie! ;)

Jessica (BookLover)  – (10 maart 2011 om 16:47)  

Request it at the library first. I didn't care for this book from the beginning because I couldn't bring myself to care for the person who wrote it--she just seemed self-absorbed and whiney. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Julie  – (10 maart 2011 om 17:50)  

I agree, I'd wait to get it at the library. I really liked the movie. I think it's a great Julia Roberts movie. It totally made me hungry, though! I'm glad I ate before I saw it.

Cari  – (10 maart 2011 om 20:14)  

I have not read it or seen the movie so if you read it I'll be checking your review.

mummazappa  – (10 maart 2011 om 23:01)  

I would recommend waiting for your library copy. I've read it and can't say I really loved it. It's not the worst autobiographical book I've ever read, but I felt it was a bit self serving.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (11 maart 2011 om 09:35)  

I didn't love it. So my advice: reserve it from your library.

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews)  – (11 maart 2011 om 11:44)  

I really wanted to read this after seeing that Oprah interview too, but I haven't read it yet! After reading a bunch of reviews, it just sounded a little boring to me, apart from the Italian section, and all that yummy food!!

Anna  – (11 maart 2011 om 15:22)  

I vote for the library! I've read nothing but scathing reviews of it except for one mildly favorable review. The biggest complaint I heard was the voice of the author was really difficult to connect to or even like.

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP