Everything I Was by Corinne Demas

Title: Everything I Was
Written by:
Corinne Demas
Release date:
April, 2011
Pages:
264
Source:
Netgalley, Lerner Publishing Group

My Feelings:



Description:

"My walls were stripped, and all that was left in the room was a pile of boxes and my mattress propped against the wall." So begins Irene's journey from an Upper West Side penthouse to—well, she's not entirely sure where. Irene's investment banker father is "downsized" when his company merges with another. When he can't find work, her family's lifestyle—and her socialite mother's spending—quickly catches up with them. Eventually, they're forced to move in with Irene's grandfather in the big family farmhouse upstate. But what begins as the most disastrous summer of her life takes a surprising turn when she meets a most remarkable family.

My Review:

I thought that the narrator of this story would be a young Blair Waldorf who couldn’t live without her blackberry, designer clothes and rich lifestyle. Then meeting this wonderful family everything changes and she would be happy with the little she has. I kind of was true about the last part, but the first not so much.

Irene is a 13 year old girl and I could tell by the way she acted that she was indeed very young. She is very quiet and doesn’t talk much. She’s very shy. The author says in her story that she loves to talk, but there wasn’t a lot of conversations in the book. It’s more about her thoughts. I believe that I would have liked the main character better, if she was a little bit older.

The other characters where great. I liked the new friends Irene made. They where sweet and just so homey. I also liked Irene’s grandfather. Such a honest and hardworking men. Her mother was just all posh and her dad could have used a backbone.

I would have loved to seen more drama in the story. Just to spice it up a little. I liked the part where there was a little bit of mystery involved about the accident, but it was too short. I think that it would have been more entertaining if a lot more would happen in the story.

The author does a fantastic job creating the setting of the story. I could imagine me next to Irene working on the fields. Everything I was is a story about a young girl who has to grow up and find out who she without the luxury she’s used too.

Everything I Was is out now!

Shweta  – (1 april 2011 om 02:35)  

Sounds like simple and nice story.Irene sounds like a well written character. Will try to get this one . Thanks for the review

Blodeuedd  – (1 april 2011 om 05:16)  

Nah, not for me this time even if it sounds ok. But excellent review

Liz @ Cleverly Inked  – (1 april 2011 om 05:41)  

Hmm. I think I understand why you would have enjoyed it more if the character was older.

Jenny  – (1 april 2011 om 08:04)  

Nice review Nina, I think I would enjoy this one if Irene were a bit older as well, I think I could relate to her more then:) Still sounds like a good read though, I like the idea of reading as a family has to make some lifestyle adjustments and watching how that changes them individually.

Jenny N.  – (1 april 2011 om 12:00)  

Is it just me cause after reading the summary and your review I don't think the cover matches with the story. Like you I probably would perfer it more if Irene were a bit older too.

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (1 april 2011 om 16:26)  

Great review, but I don't think this one is for me. I have to say... the cover sorta creeps me out a little. She is staring a bit too hard.

Melissa (i swim for oceans)  – (1 april 2011 om 18:31)  

Fabulous review, Nina. I think the internal dialogue would bug me a bit, as I like my conversations, but who knows...maybe it works! :)

Darlyn  – (3 april 2011 om 09:36)  

13 is too young to experience the hype but it does sound great premise =)

Blueicegal ♥  – (3 april 2011 om 12:04)  

Jenny your not alone. After reading both I don't really get the cover because it gives of this almost creepy vibe. Fab review though Nina! Feel like I need to stop over more, I miss you and your posts :)

Cari  – (3 april 2011 om 22:55)  

Great review but I'm not sure about this one.

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP