Jane Austen, A Life Revealed by Catherine Reef

Title: Jane Austen, A Life Revealed
Written by: Catherine Reef
Release date: April, 2011
Pages: 192
Source: Netgalley, Clarion Books

My Feelings:


Description:
Jane Austen’s popularity never seems to fade. She has hordes of devoted fans, and there have been numerous adaptations of her life and work. But who was Jane Austen? The writer herself has long remained a mystery. And despite the resonance her work continues to have for teens, there has never been a young adult trade biography on Austen.

Catherine Reef changes that with this highly readable account. She takes an intimate peek at Austen’s life and innermost feelings, interweaving her narrative with well-crafted digests of each of Austen’s published novels. The end result is a book that is almost as much fun to read as Jane’s own work—and truly a life revealed. Includes bibliography and index.

My Review:
My best friend introduced me a couple of years ago with the writing of Jane Austen. Since then I consider Austen as my absolute favourite writer. Pride and Prejudice, Emma and Northanger Abbey are the books I probably will reread this year and hold dear in my heart.

This autobiography is the best place for young adults to learn more about Jane and the world where she grew up in. We learn about the society, the housing in the 17 century and Janes family. I learned a lot about this century, but to say I know now who Jane was isn’t true. I got a glimpse of her character, and I would love to know more. Unfortunately it isn’t possible. Her family members destroyed her letters and I do wonder why they did that. Was there something to hide?

Jane Austen, A Life Revealed is a quick, easy read that makes a perfect gift for everyone who adores the novels of Jane Austen and wants to get a glimpse of whom this woman was.

YA Book Queen  – (11 april 2011 om 05:38)  

This one sounds fascinating...why would they destroy her letters? How weird!

Nice review, Nina! :)

Nina  – (11 april 2011 om 05:53)  

@Ya Book Queen: I don't know. But that's weird right? Like they want to hide something.

Cindy (Oodles of Books)  – (11 april 2011 om 06:47)  

This sounds really interesting, and I also love Jane Austen. Great review :)

Jenny N.  – (11 april 2011 om 09:01)  

I'm not usually a fan of autobiography's but since I'm a Jane Austen fan I'd love to learn more about her.

Jenny  – (11 april 2011 om 09:44)  

I'm with Jenny - normally biographies aren't really my thing, but Jane Austen is such a fascinating woman that I think this would be something I wouldu be interested in picking up. And I'm definitely curious as to why her family would destroy her letters.

Missie  – (11 april 2011 om 10:39)  

JA is a great mystery, and any tidbit of her life that is revealed is so fascinating. I haven't read many biographies, but this one is tempting.

Blodeuedd  – (11 april 2011 om 12:49)  

Hihi, I do love Jane Austen :D Ok the variations, but then it would be fun to know more about her life too

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (11 april 2011 om 14:52)  

Oh this sounds like a good bio. I am curious about her and I do think that this is a book for me! Thanks!

Christina / Book Addict  – (11 april 2011 om 14:57)  

I love Jane Austen and this seems like a book that I must get my hands on as I know a lot about her novels, but not too much about her. Thanks for the great review!

Alison  – (11 april 2011 om 20:24)  

This sounds interesting. I am a huge Austen fan, but haven't read any bios of her. I should.

Jessica (BookLover)  – (13 april 2011 om 19:30)  

I read Pride and Prejudice once a year. :) I always find myself going back to it. Emma and Northanger Abbey are good, too, of course. I haven't read all over her books, but I think I would enjoy this book about her. Thanks for the recommendation!

Morgan @ BLT  – (15 april 2011 om 07:51)  

Ooo, I must read this. And they're right–their really isn't very many biographies of Jane Austen...I only found one book at the library that was a "complete" biography and it was pretty old.

notinthepink.com  – (16 april 2011 om 04:26)  

I love Jane Austen so I'd read this in a heartbeat. :D

~*~*~

Ceri

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP