Lipstick Laws by Amy Holder

Title: Lipstick Laws
Written by: Amy Holder
Release date: April, 2011
Pages: 240
Source: Netgalley, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

My Feelings:


Description:
At Penford High School, Britney Taylor is queen bee. She dates whomever she likes, rules over her inner circle of friends like Genghis Khan, and can ruin anyone's life as easily as snapping her perfectly manicured fingers. Just ask the unfortunate few who have crossed her.

For April Bowers, Britney is also the answer to her prayers. With zero friends and nothing close to a boyfriend, April is so unpopular, kids don't know she exists. That is, until Britney notices her. One lunch spent at Britney's table, and April is basking in the glow of popularity.

But Britney's friendship comes with a price tag.

How much is April willing to pay?

My Review:
The Lipstick Laws has a cover that is truly cute and is going to stand out when it hits the shelves. The description made me think it was going to be as the movie Mean Girls. You have the cliché popular kids and the one who is different, geeky in a way and wants to be friends with them. And it kind of was, yet a little different.

April is young girl who is shy, a loner and a typical teenager. She complaints about live, her breasts (which she don’t have) and a boy who wants to have her attention, but don’t get it because he’s not HOT.

At first I did not like April. She wanted to be part of the mean girls clique, and therefore did not stand up for herself. She did exactly what they wanted. She also complaint a lot about it, but did it anyway. With the second half of the book I started to like her, she changed into a character who was strong and started to fight back.

I liked the other characters. Yes, they where cliché, but I didn’t mind. Britney is stuck up and well let’s face it not that smart. But learning her background made me sympathize a little for her.

The plot is a lot of fun. I loved the part where they all schemed and planned against the mean girls. A little predictable, but still so much fun to read. The ending is great. It leaves you with an aha moment. A lot of teenagers can relate to April and to find out that the high road is better than revenge is a great message for them. And even to adults.

The Lipstick Laws is a great debut written by Amy Holder. And I cannot wait to see what this writer comes up with in the future.

YA Vampire Books  – (4 april 2011 om 07:00)  

Great review! This book sounds quite interesting!

Jenny  – (4 april 2011 om 07:33)  

Even when I think I don't want to read about the popular mean girls yet again, that type of story never fails to suck me in and I can never put them down:) I like that even though you didn't care for April in the beginning, she grew on you throughout the story! Nice review Nina:)

Lisa  – (4 april 2011 om 09:26)  

I had a hard time liking April too. First I thought that she was spineless and then I though she turned into a different version of Brittany.

Missie  – (4 april 2011 om 09:37)  

Even if it is a little predictable the plot sounds fun, and you are right about the cover, it really stands out.

Glad you liked it Nina.

Brandileigh2003 (Blkosiner's Book Blog)  – (4 april 2011 om 10:13)  

This sounds like a great one to remember when I'm looking for an easy read! Thanks for review.
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Jenny N.  – (4 april 2011 om 10:35)  

The summary reminded me of Mean irls too. I'm glad to hear that April stood up for herself against the mean girls.

Blodeuedd  – (4 april 2011 om 12:40)  

Sounds ok I guess, and I do like that she changes her tune later in the book cos else she would annoy me way too much

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (4 april 2011 om 16:07)  

You know I didn't think this book would be good at all. Honestly can't tell you why. Now, I'm curious. Thanks for the review. I have to see how she changes.

wdebo  – (4 april 2011 om 16:18)  

I like the cover too! Hm. Britney doesn't sound very enticing, but maybe if I've read it I will begin to enjoy her character more. Great review!

Natalie (Mindful Musings)  – (4 april 2011 om 19:12)  

Sounds like fun! I'm not sure if this book is one for me or not, so I'll probably check the library for it (when it comes out). Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Nina!

....Petty Witter  – (5 april 2011 om 06:25)  

Hmm, not too sure about this one and I have to disagree with you, sorry, about the cover - I really don't like it. Oh well, each to their own, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Kelsey  – (5 april 2011 om 17:10)  

I thought this was a fun debut, as well. I can't wait to see what's next for Amy!

notinthepink.com  – (6 april 2011 om 10:02)  

I'd read this. :) I'm a big fan of Mean Girls so I'd be interested in reading a book like that but, as you said, a little different. :)

~*~*~

Ceri

Julie  – (6 april 2011 om 10:50)  

I like this book, too! It's super funny. Yes, I'm looking forward to whatever Amy comes up with next!

Lauren  – (10 april 2011 om 06:53)  

I really enjoyed this one as well. And yeah, it did have a few clichés mixed in, but the overall story was very interesting and fresh, in my opinion. Oh, and I agree, I can't wait to read more by Amy!

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP