Liberation Day & Special edition of I’ve Been Watching…

Yesterday we hold the Remembrance of the Dead (Dodenherdenking) for the people who lost their lives during the War. And today we celebrate Liberation Day (Bevrijdingsdag), to “mark the end of the occupation by Nazi Germany during World War II.” There are festivals all over the country and we celebrate freedom.

Der Untergang (2004)
A while ago I read this book and it just made me mad. The movie did the same to me. Cowards that they where they shot themselves after the war almost ended. Afraid to get captured by the *enemies*. I was so mad at the secretary of Hitler. Because she’s a girl the Russian soldiers let her go. I was screaming at them to go and go after her. At high school I saw this documentary about her. She said they let her go because she didn’t know what the Germans did to the Jews. And then they looked around her house and you know what they saw?! A picture of Hitler himself on her wall. Seriously, now your old enough to know what they have done and still you keep a picture of him on your wall. So mad! Also when the movie ends, you get to see what happened to most of the people in the bunker. Almost all of them has lived till 1990/2000. WTF. Seriously.

Schindler’s list (1993)
This movie is such a good one. I always get emotional watching it, it’s good.
I don’t have a lot to say about this movie, just if you haven’t watched it, you'r missing out. You need to watch it.











The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (2008)
Have you seen this movie? Wow, it’s good. The beginning was a bit slow, but you get easily sucked into it. The ending is..emotional. You want something to happen that can save the little boy in the camp, but you never wanted THAT to happen. I’m def. going to buy this DVD.

bermudaonion  – (5 mei 2011 om 04:01)  

I haven't seen any of those movies, but I have read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas and thought it was very powerful. You should watch The Reader if you get the chance.

Sarah  – (5 mei 2011 om 06:56)  

I haven't heard of Der Untergang--I think I'll try to watch it sometime. Thanks for sharing the movies you've been watching, and thanks as well for writing about Liberation Day and the Remembrance of the Dead. I didn't know these two days were celebrated in the Netherlands.

Blodeuedd  – (5 mei 2011 om 09:10)  

I have the PJ book, but I fear to read it cos I do not like sadness :(

Jenny N.  – (5 mei 2011 om 10:04)  

I remember watching Schindler's List in high school and it was a fantastic movie.

Nina  – (5 mei 2011 om 10:26)  

@bermudaonion: Going to look The Reader up. ;)

@Blodeuedd: I haven't read the book, but the movie is sad! I don't like sad books either!

Christina / Book Addict  – (5 mei 2011 om 10:53)  

I am teaching Anne Frank right now and many of my students are reading Striped Pajamas for their pleasure reading book. They keep raving about the book and they say it's really powerful. I will have to check it out. Schindler's List is also so powerful and SOO very good. I haven't seen it in years though. I hope you had a good Liberation Day; it sounds like a wonderful time.

Cindy (Oodles of Books)  – (5 mei 2011 om 11:01)  

I loved Shindler's List and I have yet to watch The Boy with the Striped Pajamas, but I have heard great things about it!

Melissa (i swim for oceans)  – (5 mei 2011 om 16:23)  

I remember Schindler's List. It broke my heart...so powerful.

Aths  – (5 mei 2011 om 17:57)  

I haven't seen any of these movies, though I do know about the last two extensively. I never heard of the first one though, and I'm going to add that to my netflix queue.

Nina  – (6 mei 2011 om 01:04)  

@Christina / Book Addict: I haven't read the book either, but after watching the movie I really want too. ;)

Kelsey  – (6 mei 2011 om 15:04)  

I really need to watch Schindler's List and The Boy in the Striped Pajamas!

Julie  – (6 mei 2011 om 16:04)  

I love Schindler's List. I'm surprised some people haven't even seen that! Wow! That's one of the best movies. It's so worth getting through it to the end. Haven't seen The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. I have the book though. Heard the movie is super tough to watch. Another tough movie is Sophie's Choice. I went to a Holocaust Survivors event a couple of years ago. I'm working on a screenplay that's set during WWII. At the event, I met a man who'd been in Auschwitz as a child. I've never met anyone who had been in a concentration camp, let alone there. It was powerful meeting survivors. Thanks for posting this!

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (6 mei 2011 om 17:53)  

Some great emotional movies. Very good and appropriate.

vvb32 reads  – (7 mei 2011 om 10:30)  

i want to both watch and read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. glad you gave it a thumbs up.

hmsgofita  – (7 mei 2011 om 21:51)  

Schindler's List. Wow. Powerful. I also saw that when I was in middle school.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. I literally bawled for almost an hour after I watched that show. I'm actually getting emotional just thinking about it...Excellent. Though, I don't think I can read the book now that I've watched the film.

It's important to remember so we never forget. (Does that make sense?) Great movies.

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP