Pearl Versus the World by Sally Murphy

Title: Pearl Versus the World
Written by: Sally Murphy
Release date: August, 2011
Pages: 80
Source: Netgalley, Candlewick Press

My Feelings:


Description:
At school, Pearl feels as though she is in a group of one. Her teacher wants her to write poems that rhyme but Pearl’s poems don’t. At home, however, Pearl feels safe and loved, but her grandmother is slowly fading, and so are Mum and Pearl. When her grandmother eventually passes away, Pearl wants life to go back to the way it was and refuses to talk at the funeral. But she finds the courage to deliver a poem for her grandmother that defies her teacher’s idea of poetry – her poem doesn’t rhyme; it comes from the heart.

My Review:
I didn’t think this book of only 80 pages would be so powerful.

Pearl is a young child, who is a loner. She doesn’t have friends, or so she believes and cannot write poems that rhyme. Pearl is such a clever, sweet girl that I just wanted to hug and tell her that everything will be alright.

The story is such an emotional one. Pearls grandmother has dementia and you feel the impact that it has on a family like Pearls. It reminded me of the aunt of my mother. She lived with us for a long time, but then she got dementia. My parents had to place her in a nursing home, because it was too much for them. I didn’t want her to go, but I knew that it was the best thing for her and the family. I could connect with Pearl, her sadness, her grief, loss, I felt that too when my aunty died.

Pearl Versus the World is a beautiful written story which will help young children deal with loss, grief and even isolation.

Blodeuedd  – (27 mei 2011 om 13:29)  

Sounds like a really lovely book, and to be powerful with only 80 pages. Then it must be good

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (27 mei 2011 om 16:34)  

Oh what a wonderful book especially dealing with the issue of dementia. I think this should be recommended for any family who has to go through it with kids. Great review.

Melissa (i swim for oceans)  – (27 mei 2011 om 19:33)  

I don't think this is my normal cup of tea, but it sounds like a sweet and powerful (albeit short) read. Fab review, Nina! :)

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews)  – (28 mei 2011 om 04:38)  

Sounds like a beautiful story. Thanks for the review!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (28 mei 2011 om 05:38)  

Oh it sounds so sweet and heartfelt. I love it already.

Kelsey  – (28 mei 2011 om 13:59)  

This sounds very unique and powerful! Thanks for bringing it to my attention! Great review, Nina!

Jenny N.  – (28 mei 2011 om 15:05)  

I think my little cousin would like this book too.

A Canadian Girl  – (28 mei 2011 om 21:24)  

I don't think I'll read this one but it sounds like a great read for MG readers. I'll suggest it to my younger cousin.

Jillian  – (29 mei 2011 om 03:10)  

Super cute cover and a 5-star review? I'm sold.

notinthepink.com  – (29 mei 2011 om 04:59)  

Wow, in spite of it's length, this sounds like such a sweet and quite moving story. It sounds exactly like one I'd pick up when I was young.

~*~*~

Ceri

....Petty Witter  – (29 mei 2011 om 06:19)  

Hmm, I'm intrigued that such a short book can stir so many emotions - I'll have to keep an eye out for a copy.

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP