The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder

Title: The Day Before
Written by: Lisa Schroeder
Release date: June, 2011
Pages: 320
Source: Simon & Schuster e-Galley

My Feelings:


Description:
Amber’s life is spinning out of control. All she wants is to turn up the volume on her iPod until all of the demands of family and friends fade away. So she sneaks off to the beach to spend a day by herself.
Then Amber meets Cade. Their attraction is instant, and Amber can tell he’s also looking for an escape. Together they decide to share a perfect day: no pasts, no fears, no regrets.
The more time that Amber spends with Cade, the more she’s drawn to him. And the more she’s troubled by his darkness. Because Cade’s not just living in the now—he’s living each moment like it’s his last.

My Review:
After reading I Heart you, You Haunt Me I decided not to read any more verse novels. I didn’t liked it and so I thought that every other verse novel would be the same, a bit boring. I was so wrong. You always have to give authors a second try and I’m so glad I did with Lisa Schroeder.

I liked Cade a lot. Even though there’s no real depth in these characters I felt like I knew him. Cade was the right person for Amber to meet at that moment in her life and it made me a bit jealous that this does not happen very often in real life. And then there’s Amber, running away from the troubles in her life. I totally could understand why she ran away and I felt sympathy for her.

The plot is great. As I said before I’m not a big fan of verse novels, so sometimes I really needed more out of these characters than these verses. But all in all it was good and as the story progressed I understood Cade better.

The Day Before surprised me. I didn’t know what to expect and I’m really glad that I gave this book a try. Beautiful written and perfect to bring along when your going to the beach.

Blodeuedd  – (10 juni 2011 om 01:22)  

Verse novels? I have to go google now

Nina  – (10 juni 2011 om 02:09)  

@Blodeuedd: You should check this site out: http://novelnovice.com/2010/04/09/lisa-schroeders-recommendations-nine-verse-novels/

bermudaonion  – (10 juni 2011 om 03:54)  

I tried a verse novel on audio and it didn't work for me at all. I really should try one in print.

Jillian  – (10 juni 2011 om 04:07)  

I am not much of a verse novel type of reader, but I am willing to try it out since this is Lisa Schroeder and she's a terrific writer. Great review as usual.

Nina  – (10 juni 2011 om 04:20)  

@bermudaonion: I never tried it on audio before, but you should really give it another try. Hopefully you will find a verse novel that you will enjoy. ;)

@Jillian: She's really good. I didn't like "I Heart you, You Haunt Me", but I really fell in love with this book! It's probably because of the subject in the first book.

Christina / Book Addict  – (10 juni 2011 om 04:37)  

Great review, Nina! I agree that this book makes for an excellent beach read. I wish there was more depth like you mentioned. I enjoyed it, but I wish the author included more, which is the problem with verse novels I guess.

Jenny  – (10 juni 2011 om 08:18)  

I've never tried a verse novel, I'm not sure what I would think of it. So nice that you gave this author a second try and were pleasantly surprised though, I love it when that happens:)

Briana  – (10 juni 2011 om 10:50)  

I'm going on vacation at the end of June and this sounds like a lovely beach read! Great review =)

Jenny N.  – (10 juni 2011 om 11:26)  

I've only read a few verse nevels and two of them happen to be Lisa Schroeder's. I'll probably be reading this later in the summer as part of a reading challenge.

Nina  – (10 juni 2011 om 13:26)  

@Jenny: I love that it happened too. :)

@Briana: Yes! You should really get a copy and take it to the beach. :) You will love it.

Marce  – (10 juni 2011 om 13:52)  

As you know I love Verse Novels and loved the one you didn't. I look forward to this one also.

I think you should try Ellen Hopkins, you may prefer her work, start with Crank as it is a series.

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (10 juni 2011 om 15:53)  

This one sounds so interesting and timely for some girls. I'm so curious about this one and I'm glad you loved it.

notinthepink.com  – (10 juni 2011 om 16:42)  

I've still yet to read a verse novel but I'll definitely be keeping this one in mind then. :) I'm the same with authors - always forget to give them a second chance. Sometimes it can be hard if the first thing you read by them is something you really didn't enjoy.

~*~*~

Ceri

Melissa (My World...in words and pages)  – (10 juni 2011 om 20:20)  

New book for me. And a great review. SOunds like a nice read. :) Thank you!

Nina  – (11 juni 2011 om 03:11)  

@Marce: Thanx for the recommendation. Going to look out for Crank! I just saw it has 537 pages! WOW! ;)

A Canadian Girl  – (11 juni 2011 om 08:20)  

I don't actively seek out verse novels either but I love Lisa Schroeder's works. This time, insta-love really does work. I'm jealous too that relationships like that don't happen so often in real life.

Lily Child  – (12 juni 2011 om 23:42)  

I'm not really into verse novels either, but the premise of this definitely sounds interesting! :)

Shy  – (13 juni 2011 om 04:22)  

I have not read any verse books but I have listen to some of them (Books by Ellen Hopkins). I think it is more effective to listen to this kind of book rather than reading them. Perhaps the way the narrator narrated the story play a huge part in letting us feel what the author is really trying to say. Try them, who knows you might enjoy them too.

Missy  – (13 juni 2011 om 04:27)  

Verse novels are so hit or miss for me, but this one sounds pretty good based on your review. Thanks!

Nina  – (15 juni 2011 om 10:05)  

@Shy: You should really try this book. It's really good. I might listen to an audiobook, but I can't really find it in the library and the cost of buying one is very high. ;) Expensive.

@Missy: With me too!!! ;)

Lauren  – (16 juni 2011 om 07:53)  

I have this one in my TBR pile so I'm so happy to hear that it's good. I'm always a bit hesitant to read verse novels for the reasons you stated in your review, but Schroeder's recent books have been very good.

Nina  – (16 juni 2011 om 11:14)  

@Lauren: I'm really glad I gave this author another chance, because I really liked this story. Good to know that her recent books are very good! That's enough for me to check her other books out too. :)

Christie - The Fiction Enthusiast  – (16 juni 2011 om 13:08)  

This cover is stunning, but I’m not sure if I could get into the verse thing. Might have to give it a try though :)

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP