Firespell by Chloe Neill

Title: Firespell
Written by: Chloe Neill
Release date: January, 2010
Pages: 246
Source: Bought

My Feelings:


Description:
Lily's parents have sent her to a fancy boarding school in Chicago filled with the ultra-rich. If that wasn't bad enough, she's hearing and seeing bizarre things on St. Sophie's creepy campus. Her roommate, Scout, keeps her sane, but keeps disappearing at night. When one day Lily finds Scout running from real-life monsters, she learns the hard way that Scout is involved in a splinter group of rebel teens.

They protect Chicago from demons, vamps, and dark magic users. It's too bad Lily doesn't have powers of her own to help. At least, none that she's discovered yet...

My Review:
Combine a new girl at a boarding school with some wicked powers and I’m one happy girl. Firespell is one of those books that just puts a smile on my face. It’s good.

Lily is a character I like. Yes, she did one stupid thing in the book, but that didn’t make me rid her off. She’s trustworthy, thoughtful and caring. I like that she says what she thinks and isn’t afraid of the in crowd. You go girl.

Scout and Jason are two other characters I really like. Scout is creative and I love that she adores reading. Jason is just cute and I hope he gets a bigger role in the sequel.

The plot is great. The powers that each of the members have is really good, but I would have loved to read more about it. I thought that the climax was a bit short. There could have been a bit more action in it, but I did love the little surprise that came with it.
The story is also fast moving. There wasn’t one slow part in this book and I have to applaud the author for this. It got me hooked till the very end.

All in all Firespell is a great book to get the series started. I already have the copy of the sequel, so I’m looking forward reading it.

Cari  – (16 juni 2011 om 05:47)  

I really enjoy boarding school books. I'll add this one to my list and I can't wait to see your review of the sequel.

Lauren  – (16 juni 2011 om 07:47)  

Great review! I've been curious about whether or not I should give this book a shot, and I think I will be now. :)

Jenny  – (16 juni 2011 om 08:14)  

So glad you enjoyed this one too Nina! I pretty much love anything Chloe Neill writes so while I didn't love this book as much as her adult vampire series, I still enjoy her fun sense of humor:) Can't wait to see what you think of Hexbound!

Shy  – (16 juni 2011 om 10:13)  

Oh, this sounds lovely! I was somewhat hesitant to give it a try because all this boarding school stuffs reminded me of PC Cast's House of Night series, one of the few series that I cannot get through at all. Your review is pretty convincing there, so I think I should drop my guard a little bit and give this series a shot!

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews)  – (16 juni 2011 om 10:51)  

I was really excited for this one, but then when I got around to reading it, I didn't love it. I just didn't connect with the characters. I haven't continued with the series, even though I might pick up the second book at some point. :)

Blodeuedd  – (16 juni 2011 om 10:57)  

I am glad you liked this one :) I hope you read book 2 soon so I can her about that one too, hihi

Jenny N.  – (16 juni 2011 om 11:12)  

I like this series too and will probably read her adult series since I've heard good things about it.

Nina  – (16 juni 2011 om 11:19)  

@Jenny: I have heard of her adult vampire books, but I loved the sound of this one so I decided to read her YA books. But it's great that you enjoyed her adult books, because I'm thinking about getting them too after I read the last book in this series. ;)

@Shy: Sorry to hear that PC Cast's House of Night series aren't that great. You should really try reading this book, it's really good.

Kelsey  – (16 juni 2011 om 11:43)  

I've had this in my TBR pile for a long time and can't wait to read it! Great review!

Missie  – (16 juni 2011 om 12:13)  

Every character has to have a flaw. Glad you didn't give up on Lily even if she did a stupid thing. Now you got me curious about what that stupid thing was. Good to know that the plot keeps you hooked! Thanks for the great review, Nina!

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (16 juni 2011 om 12:59)  

I cannot believe I haven't read anything written by her yet. Oh noez! Looks like I need to read this one. I'm curious about Lily now. I love a character that says what she thinks!

Christie - The Fiction Enthusiast  – (16 juni 2011 om 13:03)  

Why was I under the impression this was not YA? Does she write an adult paranormal series as well?

I’m glad you didn’t give up on Lily :) I haven’t read this, but I like when characters make mistakes. Makes them feel more “real”. Unless they’ve got that too stupid to live thing going on LOL

A Canadian Girl  – (16 juni 2011 om 20:58)  

I tend to like books revolving around boarding school too for some reason. I haven't read this series yet but I've heard good things about it. Hopefully, I'll get around to reading it this summer.

Nic @ Irresistible Reads  – (16 juni 2011 om 22:11)  

Great review. I have been meaning to read this for ages. The characters sound interesting and so does the plot :)

Nina  – (17 juni 2011 om 00:40)  

@Christie - The Fiction Enthusiast: The author has written an adult series too. The Chicagoland Vampires!

Jessica (BookLover)  – (17 juni 2011 om 17:27)  

Ooh, I love stories that take place at boarding schools. :) Great review!

BooksforCompany  – (18 juni 2011 om 15:47)  

Thanks for this review, l got it out from the library but never got time and had to take it back! Hope to read it soon.

Nina  – (19 juni 2011 om 02:20)  

@BooksforCompany: I hate it when that happens! ;)

yavampirebooks  – (19 juni 2011 om 08:10)  

Great review! Boarding schools and magical powers is usually a win in my book too! :) Want to read this one!

Sarah  – (20 juni 2011 om 14:34)  

I like a good boarding school story :) Also, the rebel band of teens sounds a lot like . . . well, Buffy. But that can be a good thing. I'll have to see if the library has this one. Thanks for the review :)

Lily Child  – (27 juni 2011 om 03:39)  

This is definitely one of those "first in a series world building" books. The story progresses much further in the next book. I'm glad you liked it though! :)

Nina  – (27 juni 2011 om 05:49)  

@Sarah: I love Buffy, so for me that's a really good thing. lol. If you love Buffy you should try this one. ;)

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP